Looking for advice on implementing puzzles into my game

B

blahscorpion760

Hey everyone!

I have a 2d top down game that takes place on a deserted sky island. I went into this project thinking I would never make it into an actual game, rather I just wanted to mess around in Game Maker and hopefully learn some things. However, after more than a month of development, I realized that I had a pretty solid world set up with good mechanics and some art.

So, when I decided to really start making this into a real game, my first idea was to make it into an old school Zelda type game, an action RPG. After I made some combat systems and enemies, I quickly realized that world that I had already created really didn't fit with tons of action and violence, as the island is a quiet, peaceful and beautiful place. Throwing in guns and monsters just didn't feel right.

After I realized this, I scrapped the combat and started moving towards puzzles and story. I've always loved puzzles, especially mazes, but I'm definitely not an expert at creating them, and I'm also not sure how to make the puzzles really fit into the world and feel like they belong there. I suppose part of this will come down to writing, but I still feel as though there is more I can do.

I thought I could figure it out myself, but it's been days and I'm still without any ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way, the only puzzle ideas that I've already really figured out is involving ancient technology that is found around the island, where you have to do line puzzles to open doors and such.

Thanks!