• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Look at that. Now I'm a game developer.

C

CodemonkeyAlx

Well not really just yet but I am well on my way. Over all when I got GMS the other day after picking up the humble bundle I did not expect to have a full working gaming in less than 5 hours using almost full GML code. Now that is an experience that has gained my loyalty even if I use other dev programs I think this will be my go-to as I love how simple it is. There is something about running your creation and feeling amazing about doing even the simplest of things. Its like "I want to implement this." so then you do it and run it and when it works its like "NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT!!!"

I just wanted to say thank you to the makers of the software. I look forward to producing more over time.
Granted the game I made is almost a direct copy of Shaun Spaldings Asteroids it was fun learning how to build my own title screen and adding music to it. While it is likely basic to other people the cool factor for a new user is through the roof.

If you want to play my version of it I uploaded the single executable version to Onedrive:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqWPG3AO7k8ChNc2N8LhWPPQqZ5oLA
There are likely a few glitches but the fact that everything for the most part works and in the little time it took me to do it is making me all giddy. :D

F

foldupgames

Good on ya! That's so great to hear. I've been using GM for several years now and was so happy to be able to teach a semester of it to a home school group. I never thought I would understand computer code, let alone be able to teach it!

Game Maker opened up that door to me and I couldn't be more happy.

BTW, I read a great quip about game development - they said "We got the game running a few months then spent a year on fiddling things like menus and pause buttons." So true.

J

jackhigh24

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-on-android-from-v1-4-1675-to-v1-4-1760.6816/
that is so true, my latest game took me about 10 hours work, all code was done including saving loading all menu's, but then came the polish for all them, 6 weeks later and i think il be done in another week, so to the OP its a great feeling but for a game you intend to release professionally, then get ready for some long long hours, days, weeks and months, but its all worth it in the end.

C

CodemonkeyAlx

"We got the game running a few months then spent a year on fiddling things like menus and pause buttons." So true.
Oh dear lord that is so true. Even with the Asteroids game it was like "Alright I am happy with this.... Wait.... No.... Lets change that. Add this... Take out that..." *Plays game* "Yes!!! It works! -- But I can make this better" Its sooooo much fun.

C

Caloxeno

I didnĀ“t purchase it in the huble bundle yet (I am planning to do that tomorrow), but I started with gamemaker some days ago, and I am also happy with the software :) Great to hear you are happy too!

C

CodemonkeyAlx

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-on-android-from-v1-4-1675-to-v1-4-1760.6816/
that is so true, my latest game took me about 10 hours work, all code was done including saving loading all menu's, but then came the polish for all them, 6 weeks later and i think il be done in another week, so to the OP its a great feeling but for a game you intend to release professionally, then get ready for some long long hours, days, weeks and months, but its all worth it in the end.
As a matter of interest how hard is it to port over a game I have running on windows to android. My main hang-up is the controls how does that work, do I need to make a new control set or does GMS automatically set it to work a certain way?

J

jackhigh24

well it would depend on your game, most of it, if not all of it may well work perfectly on android, so for instance any left mouse click you have in your game will automatically be a single finger tough on the device, the real things to look out for is using surfaces that are to big, using to many texture pages and having them set to high, such as its best to aim for 1024x1024 texture pages but if you graphics need to be higher res then use 2048x2048 texture pages, its not advisable to go larger than that, also your views should not go to high so a 720p would be the highest, i tend to use 576p so that 1024x576 for the view especially if im using surfaces, other things you might have to do is if your using key presses for anything, then you will need to make an onscreen virtual key instead, another thing to consider is text input, like making your own victual keyboard so they can enter text, but everything else should work with no extra work needed.

C

CodemonkeyAlx

So things like space to shoot will likely translate well. How about arrow controls for movement?

J

jackhigh24

no. space will need to be made into an on screen virtual key, same for the arrow keys.

F

foldupgames

As a matter of interest how hard is it to port over a game I have running on windows to android. My main hang-up is the controls how does that work, do I need to make a new control set or does GMS automatically set it to work a certain way?
Yeah, that's the fun part. You need to set up a GUI and then set up the virtual space where the keys should show up. You essentially tell GM "Map out a box from here to here and make that the LEFT button". It can be a nuisance, but it does get easier. The reason is because your phone says "What the heck is an arrow key?"

Also, setting up Android is a bit of a pain in the fanny. There's a really good tutorial and you just follow the steps. If you need more help, you'll need to post in the PROGRAMMING forum.

PS: you guys, if you didn't get in on the Humble bundle - DO IT. I paid a pretty penny for all the stuff I now have and even I got the bundle just so I get a steal of a deal on the IOS module alone!

C

CodemonkeyAlx

PS: you guys, if you didn't get in on the Humble bundle - DO IT. I paid a pretty penny for all the stuff I now have and even I got the bundle just so I get a steal of a deal on the IOS module alone!
The humble bundle saved me about $970 Sooooooo worth it.
I used to do android applications mostly for personal safety but before I got out of that game I made a second google store for specifically game uploads. Suffice to say I'm happy I did because when it comes to it its another $25 I previously spent to save my fanny later in the game. No pun intended.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, the speed you can do stuff in GM definitely is the main advantage it has over other engines. Especially when it comes to making GUI screens and stuff since you can just lay out elements visually and have their code in their Left Mouse Pressed event... perfect for making mobile games. (I personally prefer making traditional PC stuff like metroidvanias, but I can definitely see the benefits of GM's built-in layouting tools for touch-based games).

C

CodemonkeyAlx

Yeah, the speed you can do stuff in GM definitely is the main advantage it has over other engines. Especially when it comes to making GUI screens and stuff since you can just lay out elements visually and have their code in their Left Mouse Pressed event... perfect for making mobile games. (I personally prefer making traditional PC stuff like metroidvanias, but I can definitely see the benefits of GM's built-in layouting tools for touch-based games).
OMG SENPAI NOTICED ME!!! - I want to see how it fairs with making an RPG or a text adventure style game as well as some networked games.

I have a project in mind its highly ambitious.
Its an RPG that has a base story that revolves around the main character working toward opening up a stargate like device that enables other people's 'worlds' to show up in a list of worlds to be visited. Each with its own elements and story that the content creators make. So I guess you could say its like a multiverse. Anyway its an idea right now.

Z

Zekka

Magic! Congratulations.

I get super pumped when I see people making posts like this.

C

CodemonkeyAlx

Magic! Congratulations.

I get super pumped when I see people making posts like this.
I know right? It means the community is doing something awesome!

Yeah, you'll soon realize that isn't as exciting as you might think :D
Oh trust me it rarely is but its still the fact of the matter. Though I think Shaun would be the Senpai-ist senpai. xD