• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Long lag every time I delete an Event.

xenoargh

Hi. This is my first post here, so I apologize if this was obvious / easy to find (I did Google a bit first before asking here, though, promise!).

I am working on a game with > 1000 assets currently, with a partner who I collaborate with largely remotely. We have navigated the issues w/ Views and all the "fun" with GMS and source control.

But! I keep having this major issue with GMS.

Essentially, I am in the process of cleaning up a large number (like, over a hundred) Objects by porting their code upwards into parents. It's a code-cleanup operation to improve maintenance down the road, when we go from "working prototype" to "we need to quintuple the current amount of content in this thing to be feature-complete". So, these Objects are having all their Events pruned away, because they don't need them any more; they Inherit code from their parents that does all the things now.

Buuuuuut... there's a catch. Every time I delete out these no-longer-needed Events, the IDE sits there, "saving" for like... 5 seconds? It's like it's re-saving everything in the entire project, or something. It's not like hitting ctrl-S to save, which usually doesn't take much time; It's extremely weird, workflow-stopping behavior.

What's up with that? Can I somehow turn it off? If this is going to happen every time I want to alter parent-->child systems, it could cost me at least as much time as the savings in maintenance I was supposedly achieving by making nice clean hierarchies of inherited GML...

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Can't say this sounds familiar to me, but I'll try to provide some pointers that may get us closer to finding out the source.

Is any part of your system (CPU, storage media...) showing signs of unusual activity during this saving process? As in, is a large amount of data being written to your storage, or does the GMS2 process use a lot of CPU cycles?
What kind of storage medium (HDD, SSD, NAS, cloud...) are the project files stored on?

xenoargh

The project files are on a local SSD; we use GMS's built-in Git and Github for source control.

It appears the hang-time is in GMS, not outside use of CPU cores.

This doesn't typically happen when using CTRL-S to save; this is:

Open an Object.
Change the Parent.
Delete the Create Event (because now it's inheriting from a parent w/ code to support this)
Double-click on another Object, to repeat.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait... while "Saving..." appears in the top-right bar.

Sometimes, just deleting the Event is enough for this to happen. It's not consistent. It's like GMS is checking every checksum again, or something similarly heavy. I'm a little concerned that this will become "wait for 30+ seconds" if we have to do this later on, when the game has thousands of Objects being maintained.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I'd say hardware can be ruled out in that case... it'd be a different story if the project was on an ancient HDD or something, but I see no reason for such exaggerated wait times here. I suggest filing a bug report with YoYo Games through the helpdesk, as this sounds more like an internal issue than something on your end, especially since it doesn't appear to be consistently reproducible.

xenoargh

Yeah, it's odd. Pretty sure it has to do with the internal stuff for source control; the bigger this gets, the weirder the behavior of that gets, even with just two people. I really hope they get the kinks worked out of that; I like GMS quite a bit other than these odd things that slow down my workflow :)

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
The IDE lags a lot for a variety of reasons.
Opening rooms that have resource heavy layers, leaving the IDE running for long periods of time, and any GPU related changes such as monitor count or resolution can cause the IDE to become unresponsive or even close without warning.
The more it has to process at once, the slower it gets.

xenoargh

I have submitted this issue to YYG. Unfortunately, it's becoming a real problem as the project increases in scope; it's really unclear what's causing the issue on our end.