• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED Long Compile Time = (UNPLUG USB Devices!)

N

NutsButts

After searching the forums, this seems to be a very prevelent issue.
However no solution!

Smallest possible project takes 40+ seconds to compile!

This was never the case for me.

I am desperately trying older versions atm.

Specs: 2016 BEAST!

Last edited by a moderator:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
When you say smallest possible, do you mean an empty project?

What is your compile target? (Windows VM, Windows YYC...)

Which GMS version are you currently using?

Roughly when has this started happening?

N

NutsButts

actually, i remember using GMS 2 like 6+ months ago. I do not remember being frustrated with compile times, so I assume that hasn't been a problem:

Yes, an empty project.
Versions: one by one going down, so fat at 2.2.0 and no luck
Reinstalled to C drive SSD

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
What is your compile target? (Windows VM, Windows YYC...)

Is there any other software running concurrently? Antivirus or firewall software tends to interfere with the build process, so try to temporarily disable these to check if they're responsible for the issue.

Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and Resource Monitor (Win + R -> resmon -> Enter) may provide additional hints regarding what's going on during the build process. Look out for any processes with suspiciously high CPU or disk usage during it, as those may be what's interfering with GM.

Is only GM installed on the SSD or are your project files and export destination on the SSD as well?

N

NutsButts

Nothing above 200megs, nothing that uses more than like 2-5% cpu

N

NutsButts

I have my operating system on the ssd drive C, also previously I hav GM2 on another drive, nothing seems to make a difference. Like it has been said numerous times in other posts, the game compiles and then waits a while untill the game window pops up!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
That sounds like a virus check running just before the game starts. Do you have any such software installed? Try to temporarily disable these to check if they're responsible for the issue.

N

NutsButts

Disabled all possible antivirus softwares: nothings, no improvements.

Restarting the computer, as some suggested might work for a few runs, did nothings!

I even checked if my pc was plugged in!

Simple counter test starts counting only when the game window appears= program doesn't run for around 1 minute after compilation.

FINALLY! a SOLUTION

Problem solved by unplugging my wireless keyboard dongle.
Basically Unplug stuff till it works!

Happy it works now!

N

NutsButts

Found the solution to empty small projects compiling slowly in 30-60 seconds: unplugged wireless keyboard dongle!
Not the wireless mouse or the wireless headset dongle, just the keyboard.
Yaay!

However this is a problem in and of itself now, no?

It seems to be quite random though- when I start the application, dongly in = slow compile. Tried to compile a number of times- slow.
Unplug dongle= instant compile.
Plug back in = slow.
repeat a few times, still tha same.

Now plug dongle back in= NO problem for about 5 runs.

If I click run and the game window does not pop up instantly, as soon as I remove the dongle it pops up!

1. Unplugging the dongle does fix the delay problem!
2. It seems that plugging the dongle back in does not instantly cause the delay problem!

I wonder if using the USB 3.0 hub in my monitor has any play in this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What device is this that's causing the issue?

PS: Merged this with your other topic... no need for two on the same subject!