Logistics of visuals for player weapons and armor?

T

TheTrophieStars

I was thinking of making a little rpg. One of the things I want to do is have a weapon and armor system. What are some ways to approach this? Can I draw sprites over the player for armor and have the weapon be a game object fixed to the player? My characters are rather simple in design so I think I could do all my animations with bones.

The weapon would be the most challenging if I were to want varying hit box sizes on them.

The-any-Key

If you only have minor armor and weapons I would draw the armor over the player but have separate walk animation with and without weapon.
If you have a lot of items I would use Spine:
Ex:

T

TheTrophieStars

So I bought spine, and wow. Why didn't I get this sooner? So I plan on having hundreds of weapons/armors and other attachments. Is it feasible to keep all of those on the player file? Is there a more organized way to do that? Are there game maker functions to attach anything to any slot via code? If that's the case that would make my future project much cleaner and organized.

T

TheTrophieStars

I imagine it going like:
having weapon and armor slots on the player, probably different animations per type of weapon, so there may be multiple weapon slots. Then I have all my weapons loaded into game maker as separate sprites where I can file them and sort them how I wish and shove them onto the player at will via skeleton functions. Is this possible?

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I've never used the built-in skeleton functions, but only after a couple of minutes of searching the documentation I found this which might help you. It should allow you to do exactly what's displayed in that video, but without having to store all the weapon sprites in the skeleton texture atlas; individual sprite resources can be used.