• Hey! Guest! The 40th (!!!) GMC Jam will take place between February 25th, 12:00 UTC to March 1st 12:00 UTC. Why not join in this very special anniversary jam! Click here to find out more!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Localized game name [Solved]

Alec20

Member
How do I localize the name of my game? (is for Android in my case)
ie: someone from Japan install my game, the gameplay is completely translated but the app name remains in english
Where do I put translated display names? is it even possible to do in gms2?
 
Last edited:

chirpy

Member
You can do it by adding localization resources to an Android extension.
Create one and add via "add source | add SDK", or simply add folders to e.g. GooglePlayServicesExtension.

Under AndroidSource/res/ , add "values-ja/mystrings.xml" with xml body:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
<string name="app_name">MyLocalizedName</string>
</resources>
I don't quite remember whether if you have to add default "values/mystrings.xml" as well, but it's somewhat like this.

Reference:
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/resources/localization
 

Alec20

Member
You can do it by adding localization resources to an Android extension.
Create one and add via "add source | add SDK", or simply add folders to e.g. GooglePlayServicesExtension.

Under AndroidSource/res/ , add "values-ja/mystrings.xml" with xml body:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
<string name="app_name">MyLocalizedName</string>
</resources>
I don't quite remember whether if you have to add default "values/mystrings.xml" as well, but it's somewhat like this.

Reference:
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/resources/localization
Thank you so much!
it helped a lot
 

gkri

Member
@chirpy I get those warnings (testing with an empty project) even before (and after) trying to localize and when I tried to localize the name based your instructions, I had no success.

Am I missing something?

GML:
> Task :com.company.manitest:processDebugManifest
W:\com.company.manitest\src\main\AndroidManifest.xml:27:3-76:17 Warning:
    application@android:label was tagged at AndroidManifest.xml:27 to replace other declarations but no other declaration present
W:\com.company.manitest\src\main\AndroidManifest.xml:28:5-37:16 Warning:
    activity#com.company.manitest.RunnerActivity@android:label was tagged at AndroidManifest.xml:28 to replace other declarations but no other declaration present
EDIT: While the warnings are still a mistery to me. I managed to make it work with your method. But I will report here what confused me so it may help others.

When importing the localized strings.xml file via "add source | add SDK", they will go to AndroidSource/Java/res/..etc.. for some reason.
So after importing, I right click the extension -> open in Explorer and moved all the locale files into AndroidSource/res/...etc.. and then it worked.

Thank you!
 
Last edited:
Top