• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Local push notifications not firing - Android API > 25

J

Jaime Lpz

Hi all!

I am having this issue than when selecting an Android target SDK higher than 25 (for example 26 or 27), local notifications just won't fire. It compiles the APK without any trouble, only feature not working is local push notifications. Non-working notifications full settings:

Target SDK: 27
Min SDK: 16
Compile SDK: 27
Build Tools: 27.0.3
Support Lib: 27.1.1

When I go back to the previous Target SDK settings (API 25 or lower) it works without any problem. Working notifications full settings:

Target SDK: 25
Min SDK: 16
Compile SDK: 25
Build Tools: 25.0.2
Support Lib: 25.0.0

I have tried several combinations of API 26 and API 27, but none work unless I go back to 25. Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a solution?

I am using Gamemaker version 1.4.1804

Thanks!

T

The Shatner

Hey Jaime Lpz!
Android 8.0 and forward have changed their notification systems (check the Google Developer API for more detail), so what worked for previous versions will not work on newer versions.
I'm not sure how you've implemented the notifications you've mentioned, but it's possible that when GMS creates the APK it uses the deprecated, non-funcional method instead of the newer one.

J

Jaime Lpz

Hey Jaime Lpz!
Android 8.0 and forward have changed their notification systems (check the Google Developer API for more detail), so what worked for previous versions will not work on newer versions.
I'm not sure how you've implemented the notifications you've mentioned, but it's possible that when GMS creates the APK it uses the deprecated, non-funcional method instead of the newer one.
Thanks for the response Shatner.

So, if I am reading this correctly, does this mean that legacy GMS will not be supporting Android local notifications on apps released to the play store, starting on November?

T

The Shatner

Jaime Lpz, as long as you keep using the old APIs (25 and below), they should keep working because of Android's backwards compatibility policy. However, when the migration for newer versions of the API become mandatory in the Play Store, version 1.4 will no longer be able to compile games with newer functions such as this one without external (as in "Extensions") help.
At least that's my understanding of the situation.

rIKmAN

Jaime Lpz, as long as you keep using the old APIs (25 and below), they should keep working because of Android's backwards compatibility policy. However, when the migration for newer versions of the API become mandatory in the Play Store, version 1.4 will no longer be able to compile games with newer functions such as this one without external (as in "Extensions") help.
At least that's my understanding of the situation.
The minimum API for new Play Store submissions is already API26 and has been since August 1st 2018, app updates will be required to target API26 from the 1st November 2018.

Source: https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/target-sdk

Appsurd

Currently having the same issue as mentioned here. Is there a way to resolve this? Or is an update of the PlayServicesExtension the only solution?

rIKmAN

I tried, but it showed errors instead. It must be a bug or so, I filed another bug report :)
Hmm not sure, I just filed a bug report 5mins ago and didn't have any issues with it.

I've already had an email notification with my ticket number and it is showing up in "My Activities" where I can add another comment or extra information using the textbox at the bottom of the page.

I was surprised at the speed of the email and it being added to "My Activities" as previously I've had to wait a week or so to get this far, and then multiple weeks / months after that to get any kind of proper human response.

Keep it up YYG, I'm almost impressed!

J

Jaime Lpz

YoYo confirmed they are working on this, but they couldn't give an indication when it should be fixed
Hi Appsurd,

Thanks for posting the guide on how to get this working. I will give it a try later today.

Did YoYo ever confirm fixing it on your ticket?

Thanks!

Appsurd

Hi Appsurd,

Thanks for posting the guide on how to get this working. I will give it a try later today.

Did YoYo ever confirm fixing it on your ticket?

Thanks!
No other than "We are aware of the issue and are working on it."

Soon (hopefully this week but maybe the next) I will release a more detailed guide.

Mert

The fact that GCM is deprecating and Google is moving to Firebase Cloud Messaging. Yoyogames said that they'll update the extension, but noone knows when. (Probably next year)

I almost finished up my Firebase Cloud Messaging extension. I'll release it on GMDevblog once I finish it up.

J

Jaime Lpz

Thanks for your input, Appsurd and Mert.

Looking forward to seeing both the extension and guide you are working on :)