GMS 2 Loading Grid From Json Not Working Properly?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Divinik, Jan 14, 2020 at 8:42 PM.

1. Divinik

Divinik Member

So in the game I'm currently working on, every companion and their info is stored in a ds_grid (Companions_Grid), and within each companion's column is another inventory grid stored for the companion.

The code for storing the inventory grids into the json seems to be working perfectly, I check the json files each time I run the game and all grids are there with their unique identifiers.

Here is the code for writing the inventory grid data into the ds_map for the json file:

(The ds_list named com_invData is used to find all companion inventories and read them into a ds_map. Companions_Grid[# 7, i] is the grid_position of the companion inventory.)

Code:
    ///In the save_instances() script

ds_list_clear(com_invData);

for (var i = 0; i < ds_grid_height(Companions_Grid); i++)
       {
        ds_list_add(com_invData, ds_grid_write(Companions_Grid[# 7, i]));
        var my_key = "com_inv"+string_hash_to_newline(i)+string_hash_to_newline(Companions_Grid[# 0, i]);
        ds_map_add(wrapper_map, my_key, ds_list_find_value(com_invData, i));
       }

When the load_instances() script is called, this section handles loading the companion inventories:

Code:
    for (var i = 0; i < ds_grid_height(Companions_Grid); i++)
      {
       var my_key = "com_inv"+string_hash_to_newline(i)+string_hash_to_newline(Companions_Grid[# 0, i]);

ds_string = wrapped_map[?my_key];

if ds_string != undefined
         {
          var inv_toChange = Companions_Grid[# 7, i];

ds_grid_clear(inv_toChange, undefined);
          ds_grid_resize(inv_toChange, 0, 0);
          ds_grid_read(inv_toChange, ds_string);
         }
      }

So if I execute the loading script while in the game or when I first start the game, it works without a hitch. But if I restart the game, the first companion on the grid's inventory will look like this:

upload_2020-1-14_13-41-12.png

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 8:49 PM
  2. SeraphSword

SeraphSword Member

Are the numbers in red what the value should be? Or is that just the grid cell?

3. Divinik

Divinik Member

The red numbers just indicate the column. so 0 would be the very first column of the grid and so on. What is supposed to be displayed is a weapon icon, name and amount.

4. SeraphSword

SeraphSword Member

Your code shows a "wrapper_map" in the save script and a "wrapped_map" in the load script, are those different things?