Article List of FREE tools and websites for game creation

Thank you very much for this contribution. As I stated previously...I will check this out more deeply and put it in one of the lists when I have time . Thank you very much!

Convert your GameMaker Studio HTML5 games to ARM64-based Web Apps for the PinePhone and similar devices running Ubuntu Touch by UBports: https://open-store.io/app/webapp-creator.jujuyeh

Edit: just tried it on my pinephone and the app doesn't work.

rip
I am abit confused by this one. Converting a HTML5 game to an ARM64 PinePhone game as I can understand.
There is very little information on this software and the patreon page says that this patron is not supporting any creators yet.

I would need way more information into the using of this software, why would one use this as it's lacking doccumentation on it's usage and to know if it's usable on Windows because the screenshots seem to come from an ARM64 PinePhone device letting us believe that we can only use it with that device.

Thank you!

When I feel out of inspiration i like using this website to generate names that help me create and give great inspiration

I will post this up in the list soon. Thank you for this nice addition.
An impressive and well organized list of game resources...
https://github.com/ellisonleao/magictools/blob/master/README.md
I hesitated for this one but seeing that the list identifies the free resources from the paid, it's a good addition.

Last edited:

Samuel Venable

Time Killer
I am abit confused by this one. Converting a HTML5 game to Android game as I can understand. 2 things I note.
1. GameMaker Studio already has a built-in Android exporter even though it's not bundled with the HTML5 package
2. Very little information on this software and the patreon page says that this patron is not supporting any creators yet.

I would need way more information into the using of this software, why would one using other than financially because of YoYo's package pricing and of course some doccumentation on it's usage and to know if it's usable on Windows because the screenshots seem to come from an Android device letting us believe that we can only use it with an Android device.

Thank you!

I will post this up in the list soon. Thank you for this nice addition.

I hesitated for this one but seeing that the list identifies the free resources from the paid, it's a good addition.
The UBPorts pinephone / Ubuntu Touch is not android. It's arm64 architecture Ubuntu 16.04 LTS linux which GameMaker does not have an compatible export for. GameMaker has an Ubuntu export but it is not a supported LTS version (18.04) nor the correct architecture (it is amd64) so it won't run.

Although it doesn't matter now because I downloaded the app and it just gave me a "corrupt package" error.

Last edited:
The UBPorts pinephone / Ubuntu Touch is not android. It's arm64 architecture Ubuntu 16.04 LTS linux which GameMaker does not have an compatible export for. GameMaker has an Ubuntu export but it is not a supported LTS version (18.04) nor the correct architecture (it is amd64) so it won't run.

Although it doesn't matter now because I download the app and it just game me a "corrupt package" error.
Sorry for the missinterpretation. I'll edit my post up. I still lack documentation on how to use this asset for game creation. And, as you also mentionned, you got a corrupted package error in your download. I still think that the resource can be held here if ever the author adds more to the very basic and little information we have on his page. I'm still very impressed by what people find and I thank you for providing us this information and your finding for our GM community.

Need some clouds for your game?

Draw an outline, render the cloud. Work in layers, change the lighting!

I have tested this software on my side. I tried to render 1 cloud and my CPU was running wild and it takes forever. I waited 1 minute and it had gone just about 10% in its rendering process. I cannto put this software up. I hate it because the preview on the webpage gives a false impression of ease of use and speed. Here is my experience:
1. Open the app
2. Draw a cloud outline straight off without touching anything
3. No render of my cloud drawing, not expected results BUT
4. I play with settings trying to see an effect, nothing happens
5. Click on the Preview button (maybe that's the problem) still nothing happens
6. Try one of the predefined presets at the bottom, still no effects.
7. Went back to website to see that I had to press "Enter" to render (Not clearly defined in app)
8. Pressed "Enter", waited between 1 to 3 minutes for a 640x480 preview
9. Preview seemed pleasing but long, tried another preset from Volcanic smoke to fluffy cloud, almost no difference in my cloud after another 2 minutes waiting for the render.
10. Play with some setting while in render mode, takes another minute or 2 to re apply the setting I just changed.

So I am a bit discouraged because I loved the idea of this cloud generating app, but I just could not generate anything easily or fast enough. It takes forever to generate and see a preview of your cloud and the sun does not affect aything else but the lighting of your background, no true light reaction from the cloud itself. I think this tool is a great idea but not good enough for a nice game creation tool. It would need better performances. Thank you for submitting this. It's good to have here for others that may want to share their experience. I may put it up in the list if I get positive reviews from other users.

Rayek

I have tested this software on my side [...]
Well, all I can say is that Kumoworks works fine for me. But it is CPU heavy, and takes advantage of all cores. I have a very old i7 920@3.6GHZ, and drawing a cloud, then hitting enter to render the preview cloud takes a second for smaller clouds, and couple of seconds for larger ones.

The light does affect the clouds, but when the "sun" is moved, each cloud layer must be selected and rendered once more (hit enter for each layer).

A good tutorial here:

The person reviewing the app also has no issues rendering quick previews. Did you lower the preview quality to a quarter? That might help. Also, what kind of a CPU do you have?

The final rendering does take more time.

Well, all I can say is that Kumoworks works fine for me. But it is CPU heavy, and takes advantage of all cores. I have a very old i7 920@3.6GHZ, and drawing a cloud, then hitting enter to render the preview cloud takes a second for smaller clouds, and couple of seconds for larger ones.

The light does affect the clouds, but when the "sun" is moved, each cloud layer must be selected and rendered once more (hit enter for each layer).

A good tutorial here:

The person reviewing the app also has no issues rendering quick previews. Did you lower the preview quality to a quarter? That might help. Also, what kind of a CPU do you have?

The final rendering does take more time.
I'll put this app in the list. To answer your question, I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz. Yeah, lame, my i7 crashed last year, motherboard RAM and CPU, I was sooo sad!!! And no more money so I had to do with what I had at hand. I still have my Zotac GTX 980 TI 6Gb that works but the PCIe slot does not do it justice so. Yeah. I will mention about this app in the list with a note about it's rendering time and its higher than average CPU usage. But yes, a cloud creator IS a nice original addition.

Last edited:

Rayek

I'll put this app in the list. To answer your question, I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz. Yeah, lame, my i7 crashed last year, motherboard RAM and CPU, I was sooo sad!!! And no more money so I had to do with what I had at hand. I still have my Zotac GTX 980 TI 6Gb that works but the PCIe slot does not do it justice so. Yeah. I will mention about this app in the list with a note about it's rendering time and its higher than average CPU usage. But yes, a cloud creator IS a nice original addition.
Ah, yes, I feel you! My rig is slowly falling apart as well. Old i7, which I intend to replace after the summer with a Threadripper build.

Last year I helped a friend out and repaired/upgraded his old Core2 Q6600 machine, which is still surprisingly okay to work with. Was a good CPU, that.