• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Linux 64bit runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisenhans

The linux runner being 32bit only has been a sore spot of GMS2 since its release - a 64bit runner has been on the roadmap for some time, but without any further details.

On Linux, 64bit is not only a matter of "I need it because I want to access more memory" - unlike windows, 64bit Linux distros typically cannot run 32bit binaries out of the box. One needs to bloat a whole 32bit subsystem into the installation, which is considered unclean, bloaty and generally bad form.

Yoyo seems to have gotten a whiff of the problem lately and are doing a twitter survey:
https://twitter.com/YoYoGames/status/923177610925899777

I encourage and urge each and every Linux developer to vote and make your voice be heard, the current situation must be resolved.

T

The Sentient

229 votes in total isn't really an overwhelming figure.

0.6% Linux (0.2% Ubuntu) market share isn't that impressive either.

I once wanted to distribute all OS's (like everyone else here). But the reality is, it's not work the hassle.

Eisenhans

It's not about market share and whether or not a linux runner is viable. The runner does exist already ;) (and works comparatively well). It's just the wrong one.

Status
Not open for further replies.