Linked Worlds (GREENLIT)

NicoDT

Linked Worlds has been Greenlit. Thank you so much for the support.

green.PNG

Hi Everyone! I have just added a demo in gamejolt.

You can download it here (you don't need an account to download it).
https://gamejolt.com/games/Linked_worlds/257537

If you like it, remember to upvote Linked Worlds in Greenlight.

Thanks!
Hello everyone! I'm proud to say that Linked Worlds' Steam Greenlight campaign is live!

I would be grateful if you could check it and help with a YES vote .
Here's the link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919899366

You can see the trailer here:
Thanks!!!

Previous entries:

Hi Everyone,

I haven't shown many updates in the forum, and there's a lot of new people since my last update, so here's a big one!

I will soon launch a steam greenlight campaign (probably tomorrow, I will let you know), since it will soon be taken down and the game has improved a lot, It is now or never.
The demo I posted in gamejolt is really outdated (and probably buggy) so I don't encourage you to play it, so here's a gameplay video I have just uploaded.
Any comment or question is welcome. I hope you like it.

For more updates you can follow me on twitter or facebook
@Linked_Worlds
facebook.com/linkedworlds

Hello Everyone!
I have made a new demo, you can find the demo in this link

Here are some of the improvements with this version of the demo (Oct 9th)
- Fixed several bugs
- Fishing (you get the rod at day 8 from the fisherman)
- Added a few animations to make the game more lively.
- Corrected walking animation
- Added music & Sfx
- Change volume of music & Sfx separately
- New some quests
- You can visit the second town
- A Bard in a bar can play music for you.
- Added a day change animation
- Probably some more things that I can't remember now

Remember to follow on twitter or facebook for more info
@Linked_Worlds

Any comment is really appreciated, be it good or bad.
Thanks and enjoy !!

Hello Everyone!
I've been using game maker for a little more than a year, and during this time I've been working on my first game, Linked Worlds.

Right now I have and alpha demo that can be played up to the first boss.

If want to try it out, here's the link in gamejolt

Story
Eleven years ago, the Dark Beast appeared from the Sky Tower, spreading it's curse through the continent of Cestina, until the four heroes managed to seal the beast.
Now the beast has been unsealed, and Albus, adopted son of King Magnus, must start his journey to defeat the Beast once and for all.

Key Features:
  • Grid-Based Movement. (for map and battles)
  • Day/Night Cycle. (most enemies will be stronger at night)
  • In-game Days/Hours (each step = 1 minute): Certain events will happen on certain days, no matter where you are. NPCs lives also go on. (some even may die without you ever realising)
  • Optional bosses and routes.
  • Many active & passive skills, buffs & debuffs, healing & damaging items.
  • Beautiful Pixel Art
  • Great soundtrack
  • Xbox 360 controller compatible

Screenshots:
-Battle screenshot

-Shops open on different hours

-Abilities grid, as you level up you will gain new abilities. With each level, you will be able to set a new one. (The can be set/ unset any time for more flexibility)

-Life continues, you may be in a dungeon and something else is happening in a town far away.

Getting Dark

You can even fish!

Some comments:
-You can only SAVE in rooms with a cristal, o where you can rest (e.g. Inn)
-English is not my first language, so I apologise for spelling or gramatical errors you may find. They will be corrected in the future.
-Controls: Controls can be viewed/changed in the setting menu. But in the start menu you can use both arrows (+z+x keys) and WASD (+j+k keys)
-I still have to balance the stats, weapons, prices, etc. If you have any comment on this, I'm all ears.

Download the demo here

I hope you enjoy it!
Any comment, question, critic or idea you may have is really apreciated. ;)

If you are interested in seeing more, you can follow me on twitter or facebook
@Linked_Worlds

Thanks!

Last edited:
S

Stillsilver

Just tried your game for about 10minutes. It crashed when I finished speaking to the girl in the armor shop. Very cool though! I love the time mechanic with steps. And the way that events will happen at certain times no matter where you are. The boss getting stronger each day totally gives tension to everything you are doing and makes the final boss seem like he's actually doing stuff while your running around. It makes it seem foolish to wander too long which is awesome.

Did you do the art yourself? The style is fantastic, it looks way better than the rpgmaker RTP to me. The health bar flashing and the skills menu system help to differentiate it from rpgmaker as well. Haven't tried combat yet but I'll get back to you when I do.

The intro scenes seemed a little long. If you could spread some of that stuff out over the first half or hour so that you get into gameplay faster I think that would be better. Going over that map was really cool, but again, if it was a little bit later I think that would be better. Or maybe just showing the final destination and the how to get to the very first place your going and then showing the rest later.
Anyways... Great job and keep going!

NicoDT

Thanks for your feedback!!
Did you get any error when it crashed? I'm not having any problem with that (tried it on two computers), but will keep checking.
I didn't do the art, t was made by @finalbossblues , it reminded me of the snes era. I just did some minor modifications.
Regarding the intro, I was thinking about making the map explanation optional, and being able to check the map later.

Thanks again!

kupo15

If this game gets big I think the name will be a problem. I can't help but think about a Link between Worlds when I see this game. Link's name was chosen to represent this idea. Just had to mention that

S

Stillsilver

I think it said something about invalid input but I screwed up while trying to copy it. Thanks for the link, it reminds me of SNES too.

NicoDT

If this game gets big I think the name will be a problem. I can't help but think about a Link between Worlds when I see this game. Link's name was chosen to represent this idea. Just had to mention that
I did not think of that! Though I don't believe the game to be big enough to catch nintendo's attention haha.

I think it said something about invalid input but I screwed up while trying to copy it. Thanks for the link, it reminds me of SNES too.
Don't worry! If you ever run into another problem, please let me know.

H

Hamed

You should make at least 10 million dollars out of this... No but, seriously this looks fantasticoO

D

Dengar

played it and its pretty good. im sure I overlooked it but I couldn't find controls, so that was awkward.

combat was interesting how its turn based but is there a way to avoid being hit?

NicoDT

played it and its pretty good. im sure I overlooked it but I couldn't find controls, so that was awkward.

combat was interesting how its turn based but is there a way to avoid being hit?
Hi, thanks for your feedback! I'm thinking about adding the controls before starting the game to avoid confusion. In the meantime you can view/change the controls from the settings menu.

Regarding your question about avoiding being hit, there are a couple of ways/tips:

- Raising EVASION (via Weapons/ Lvl UP / or assigning your points on more evasion) , you will need to take your enemies accuracy into account though.
- Using Agility, a skill that raises your evasion a lot (I think it's in the demo, but I need to make some changes)
- Attacking from distance (skills, dark arts, or even items like shurikens or bombs.)
- Blinding your enemies (lowers their accuracy), there's a skill and an item for that (don't remember if they are in the demo though).
- Raising your Speed, you may get an "extra turn" (imagine Final Fantasy's ATB, if your bar charges again before the enemy's you can act again), this works best against slow enemies of course.
- Raise your defense or lower enemy's attack, and don't leave home without a couple of potions! (is not really avoiding being hit, but it helps you survive.)

NicoDT

Hi everyone, I have uploaded an improved version of the demo, with awesome music by @Eric Matyas and @Dazai
You can find the link in the post.

Any comment, good or bad, is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

M

molcap

Hello Everyone!
I have made a new demo, you can find the demo in this link

Here are some of the improvements with this version of the demo (Oct 9th)
- Fixed several bugs
- Fishing (you get the rod at day 8 from the fisherman)
- Added a few animations to make the game more lively.
- Corrected walking animation
- Added music & Sfx
- Change volume of music & Sfx separately
- New some quests
- You can visit the second town
- A Bard in a bar can play music for you.
- Added a day change animation
- Probably some more things that I can't remember now

Remember to follow on twitter or facebook for more info
@Linked_Worlds

Any comment is really appreciated, be it good or bad.
Thanks and enjoy !!

Hello Everyone!
I've been using game maker for a little more than a year, and during this time I've been working on my first game, Linked Worlds.

Right now I have and alpha demo that can be played up to the first boss.

If want to try it out, here's the link in gamejolt

Story
Eleven years ago, the Dark Beast appeared from the Sky Tower, spreading it's curse through the continent of Cestina, until the four heroes managed to seal the beast.
Now the beast has been unsealed, and Albus, adopted son of King Magnus, must start his journey to defeat the Beast once and for all.

Key Features:

Screenshots:
-Battle screenshot

-Shops open on different hours

-Abilities grid, as you level up you will gain new abilities. With each level, you will be able to set a new one. (The can be set/ unset any time for more flexibility)

-Life continues, you may be in a dungeon and something else is happening in a town far away.

Getting Dark

You can even fish!

Some comments:
-You can only SAVE in rooms with a cristal, o where you can rest (e.g. Inn)
-English is not my first language, so I apologise for spelling or gramatical errors you may find. They will be corrected in the future.
-Controls: Controls can be viewed/changed in the setting menu. But in the start menu you can use both arrows (+z+x keys) and WASD (+j+k keys)
-I still have to balance the stats, weapons, prices, etc. If you have any comment on this, I'm all ears.

Download the demo here

I hope you enjoy it!
Any comment, question, critic or idea you may have is really apreciated. ;)

If you are interested in seeing more, you can follow me on twitter or facebook
@Linked_Worlds

Thanks!
of Step Event0
for object obj_chara:

Variable obj_chara.room206(100059, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Script_game_start_again
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_game_start_again (line 0)
gml_Object_obj_chara_Step_0

Good luck. Glad to see this is still getting updated a year later. Your name is really asking for a nasty letter from Nintendo though, I think. It'll suck if you have to change your name *after* your game gets popular...

And wait, you didn't do the art? You have the right to use it, right?

NicoDT

Good luck. Glad to see this is still getting updated a year later. Your name is really asking for a nasty letter from Nintendo though, I think. It'll suck if you have to change your name *after* your game gets popular...

And wait, you didn't do the art? You have the right to use it, right?
Thanks! I understand the names can be considered similar, but they are still different, and I'm confident nothing will happen (unless they decide to do the same King did with the banner saga). There are tons of "the legend of" games and movies, and I'm not aware of nintendo suing them. But yeah, it would totally suck!
Regarding the art, I didn't do it (though I did modifications in some cases), but I made sure to have the rights to use it.

NicoDT

STEAM STATUS (4,5 days)

Hello everyone, It's been 4 and a half days sin I uploaded Linked Worlds to Steam greenlight , and I though I should share my progress so far.

To tell the truth, the numbers are not what I expected, I have 254 YES votes at the moment. Though the yes/no ratio is good from what I heard, the number of votes is still low, but so are the unique visitors.
And as everyone knows the two first days are critical, and then you're on your own.

Here's some google analytics information.

As you can see I only got 10% from social media

So, what am I planning to do now?

-Keep posting on twitter and facebook, using all the known hashtags (#indiedev, #screenshotsaturday, etc).
-Work on a new demo and upload it to gamejolt and itch.io . I'm thinking in adding an option to open my steam page from the game by clicking an object.
-Pray to every known god
-Contact the media, and people from twitch/youtube to see if they want to play the game.

I'll let you know how everything goes. If you want to know anything else let me know.

NicoDT

Hi everyone, here are some updates.

It's been 17 days since I started the greenlight campaign, and the numbers haven't been that good.
I have 433 Yes votes, and a 55% yes/no ratio. I believe the ratio is good considering there are games that have passed with 30% or less.

Capture.PNG

I need to keep pushing with facebook and twitter to get as much traffic as possible.
My next step is to contact the press, and try to get some people play my demo on youtube or twitch.

Here's my press kit: www.presskit.linked-worlds.com
Here's the demo: https://gamejolt.com/games/Linked_worlds/257537

And feedback is greatly appreciated!

And if you like what you've seen so far, you may help me with a vote
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919899366

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 467

Just voted yes, hope it helps you out.
Love the visuals of your game, and from the stuff I saw yesterday in your presskit it seemed pretty cool.

NicoDT

Linked Worlds has been Greenlit! Thank you so much for the support.

Now I need to keep working and finish the game. :)

green.PNG

M

Mattie

Congrats on getting Greenlit!

Thanks for sharing your stats. Really useful info.