• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Linestrip Thickness!!!

MIchael PS

Helloooooo!!!

Is there a way to change the thickness of a linestrip primitive !!!

Thank you soooo much for your time!!!
Michael...

MIchael PS

You can just post using normal text like everyone else and people will still answer you if they can help.
Well I wanna say two things:

1st : I like writing like this!!!

2nd : Thank you for your help ( Ironically... if you didn't get it )

P.S. : If you don't know the answer for a post don't say whatever comes to your mind!!!

Binsk

No. You can't.

Also, you are acting like an entitled brat. Grow up or you won't make it far on these forums.

P.S. : If you don't know the answer for a post don't say whatever comes to your mind!!!
I wanna say two things, too.

1st -
Please do not:
-Post in all CAPS or use excessive color, bold or large text, or special fonts. Instead use them sparingly for emphasis.

2nd -
Post your code. There is no inherent "thickness" to a primitive, it just depends on the shape you create.

MIchael PS

No. You can't.

Also, you are acting like an entitled brat. Grow up or you won't make it far on these forums.
I am not entitled and I don't act like one.
I just like gamemaker and I am here to give and take some help.
Where exactly is the problem, if want to write like this???

Binsk

The problem is less with how your text appeared but more with how you handled criticism of it by rIKmAN.

As to the text, it is just a little annoying to read as bold / caps generally comes off as shouting. I, personally, wasn't all that annoyed by it but as you can see it bothers some more than others. Also, it is actually against the community guidelines to use excessive color, bolding, or font size. This topic is an example as to why those guidelines exist.

All this said, back to your question, as I stated with my first post no, you cannot increase the line thickness. You could try using a trianglestrip instead and model a primitive that follows a line, perhaps, which would give a thickness. That would require quite a bit more math and effort than a simple line-list but it is what you would have to do for this. I DO believe there is a "draw line thickness" which you could draw in a loop but it wouldn't be that efficient since each line is a separate draw call.

MIchael PS

I wanna say two things, too.

1st -
Please do not:
-Post in all CAPS or use excessive color, bold or large text, or special fonts. Instead use them sparingly for emphasis.

2nd -
Post your code. There is no inherent "thickness" to a primitive, it just depends on the shape you create.

Thank you for getting back to the point!!
Well here is my code:

draw_primitive_begin(pr_linestrip)
draw_vertex_colour(xx,yy,c_white,1)

repeat steps
{
draw_vertex_colour(xx+lengthdir_x(dist, angle),yy+lengthdir_y(dist, angle),c_white,1)

if instance_exists(obj_enemy_parent)
{
if abs(xx-instance_nearest(xx,yy,obj_enemy_parent).x) < 10 and abs(yy-instance_nearest(xx,yy,obj_enemy_parent).y) < 10
{
if zapped = false
{
instance_create(xx,yy,obj_zap)
zapped = true
}
}else
{

xx = xx+lengthdir_x(dist, angle)
yy = yy+lengthdir_y(dist, angle)
dist = random_range(5,15);
angle = fangle + random_range(-38,38);
}
} else
{

xx = xx+lengthdir_x(dist, angle)
yy = yy+lengthdir_y(dist, angle)
dist = random_range(5,15);
angle = fangle + random_range(-38,38);
}
}

draw_primitive_end();

xx = xstart
yy = ystart
angle = fangle + random_range(-40,40)

Don't worry about the game logic.
Just look the primitive drawing.
It draws the lines the way I want but they are only one pixel wide.
How can I make them wider???
Again... Thank you!!!

If there is anything else I can tell you just ask!!!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
A similar question was asked recently - you can either do a trianglestrip primitive to "fatten" the line, or use draw_line_width instead of a primitive if it's only 2px or 3px width and you don't mind small gaps on corner turns. Related example.

And try to keep text formatted in a usual way - it is entertaining to read a wildly formatted post or two every now and then, but not when it's a technical question.

rIKmAN

Despite what you may think, you aren't special, edgy or cool because you use different sized fonts and make parts of it bold.

As others have pointed out, there are are community guidelines which apply to everyone to make this forum a better place for everyone, this means they also apply to you, so just post normally like everyone else.

You previous posts are exactly the same: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/my-caps-lock-are-hiding.39705/

Despite you thinking it may be drawing attention to yourself or your thread, it more than likely just makes people ignore the content your message due to the obnoxious presentation - which is what I did to your first thread I linked.

This community is full of good people who will help if they can whenever they can, except when the person acts like a rude, entitled, obnoxious idiot.

Don't be that guy.

MIchael PS

Despite what you may think, you aren't special, edgy or cool because you use different sized fonts and make parts of it bold.

As others have pointed out, there are are community guidelines which apply to everyone to make this forum a better place for everyone, this means they also apply to you, so just post normally like everyone else.

You previous posts are exactly the same: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/my-caps-lock-are-hiding.39705/

Despite you thinking it may be drawing attention to yourself or your thread, it more than likely just makes people ignore the content your message due to the obnoxious presentation - which is what I did to your first thread I linked.

This community is full of good people who will help if they can whenever they can, except when the person acts like a rude, entitled, obnoxious idiot.

Don't be that guy.
I haven't seen that rule. Sorry for taking you wrong. I don't try to be special using the bolts and the colours. I just wanted to give some emphasis to what I mean.
I will change it.

By the way happy new year to every one!!A

obscene

How in the hell did font usage become so controversial?

And how does a guy who starts his post with "thank you so much for you time" get called an entitled brat?

Last edited:

MIchael PS

How in the hell did font usage become so controversial?

And how does a guy who starts his post with "thank you so much for you time" get called an entitled brat?
Thank you friend, but this is not serious enough to get angry!!
Just enjoy your holidays, and happy new year (again)...

Last edited:

Neptune

Perhaps we shouldn't be demanding users to post a certain way. That being said, I skip right over most posts that have "fluff" -- it certainly doesn't help with ambiguity.

And Happy New Years! Good luck on your projects.

rIKmAN

Perhaps we shouldn't be demanding users to post a certain way.
My first reply to OP wasn't a demand, and by that logic then let's rip up the posting / community guidelines.

Massive unnecessary fonts and post bumping for attention every 10mins for everyone!

obscene

I feel like there must have been a prequel to this topic that I missed.

I mean the forum editor has a font size button, I'm looking at it right now as we speak. See I just used it. It even has a font family option. Why is it there if it's against the rules to use it? As someone who has a day-job typsetting books I'm quite fond of changing up fonts myself so I'm shocked to find it's taboo on a forum.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

I feel like there must have been a prequel to this topic that I missed.

I mean the forum editor has a font size button, I'm looking at it right now as we speak. See I just used it. It even has a font family option. Why is it there if it's against the rules to use it? As someone who has a day-job typsetting books I'm quite fond of changing up fonts myself so I'm shocked to find it's taboo on a forum.
It's not "against the rules" to use them, nobody has said that at all so I'm not sure where you got that from?

However (as I'm sure you know) their are guidelines for the forum (and every other forum I've used) that are there to keep the forum running smoothly and make the experience of using the it a pleasant and consistent one.

Even without the forum guidelines - it's just good forum etiquette.

Do you really want every post looking like this?

Last edited: