• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Lightning Modifying Tiles/Objects

JeanSwamp

Hello guys!

I'm curious about lightning systems as there are multiple ways to do it. I'm currently drawing a black rectangle on top and substracting with blendmodes for that, which I think is the common and easy way.

But this creates a very smooth lightning that doesn't work very good on not very black-ish tones backgrounds and also creates a very smooth lightning that doesn't fit with pixel perfect assets.

So I found this one very interesting, this is Bomb Chicken:

The lightning is very crisp, and it does bring up details on objects

https://gfycat.com/GentleDearestGlassfrog

I'm curious about how they do this. I don't really want to cover that as I'm guessing they're using kinda like two different versions of tilesets and lightning brings up one of them to show up? But just curious.

I'm however interested in the lightning itself, as it is a pixel circle, and my current method is very blurry and soft.

Thanks!

T

Tidbit

I feel like they're using a mix of palette swapping and normal maps. Software like Sprite Dlight and Sprite Lamp make it easy to incorporate dynamic lighting through the use of normal maps but... it could be that they're just masking things between one version of a tile site over the light radius. That seems unlikely though so I'm guessing its a normal map and the use of palette swapping in certain instances..