Light Switch

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Tari, Jul 14, 2019 at 5:13 AM.

Tags:
  1. Tari

Tari Member

This is a bit of a beast doubt. I'm doing a light system,t on image_index =1 it's on and 0 it's off, how can I make the lights turn on and off with one button?

2. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Code:
    image_index = light_state;       // 0 is off, 1 is on

3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Further to what Lonewolff says for setting the image_index equal to light_state, if you wanted to use a single button to flip the light on and off you can use something like this to toggle the state of the light_state variable between true/false (1 and 0) when you press the Space Bar.

Code:
    if(keyboard_check_pressed(vk_space))
    {
        light_state = !light_state;
    }

HayManMarc likes this.
  4. Tari

Tari Member

But this I put in the event of collision with the switch or in the step event?

5. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

It depends how you want to toggle the light on and off in your game.

The code I posted would be put in a Step Event and would toggle the value of light_state between true/false (on/off) every time you pressed the Space Bar on the keyboard no matter the position of your character, but you can do it however you like.

If you wanted your player to have to be within a certain distance of the light switch before they could press it then you could do something like a point_distance() check between the player and the switch first, and only if it was under a set distance then allow the input to toggle the light to be run.

You haven't given much info other than asked how to toggle it, so it's hard to give you help specific to the way you have things setup.

6. Tari

Tari Member