GMS 2 Light shader

Discussion in 'Programming' started by NNNIKKI, Dec 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NNNIKKI

NNNIKKI Member

I wanted to make a shader for hovering over buttons, which made them lighter.

v_vColour = vec4(in_Colour.r + 128, in_Colour.g + 128, in_Colour.b + 128, in_Colour.a);

For some reason I can't use "+"-es.
    WHY?!?!!?

2. Paskaler

Paskaler Member

The RGB values might be floating point numbers here. If it is so, the range goes from 0.0f to 1.0f, maybe try putting 0.5f instead. The 'f' might not be needed, so try putting numbers in without it, too.

3. Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson Member

Also if you are adding 128 to a floating point value, you would need to add it as 128.0 otherwise it is an integer

4. NNNIKKI

NNNIKKI Member

I replaced 128 with 128.0 and it works.

Edit: Actually, what was black stayed black, but I solved the problem by replacing all black with R1 G1 B1.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. samspade

samspade Member

Sounds like you solved this, but another easy way to 'highlight' a sprite, is to simply draw it over itself at reduced alpha with additive blendmode. Probably slower than a shader though. Example:

Code:

draw_self();
    if (selected) {
        gpu_set_blendmode(bm_add);
        draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index, image_index, x, y, image_xscale, image_yscale, image_angle, image_blend, image_alpha * 0.5);
        gpu_set_blendmode(bm_normal);
    }