Steam Light of the Locked World - 0.6.0 - RPG - Play demo!

Ampersand

I'm not sure if it's been said yet, but the geometric nature of the art style here is really truly beautiful. Gives an impressionist feeling at times while remaining super crisp and clean.

Rather excited to see where this goes. I may have missed it skimming the thread, but do you have any plans for releasing on mobile or any other platforms?

Edit: Also for the cut-away building graphics, I think it would look really nice to do a little exponential interpolation on the alpha to fade it in and out. Give a mini screen transition aesthetic/nostalgia. Something like alpha += (1 - alpha) / 2 and alpha -= alpha / 2 so it's still rather immediate, but not just an instant visibility toggle.

Phoebe Klim

I'm not sure if it's been said yet, but the geometric nature of the art style here is really truly beautiful. Gives an impressionist feeling at times while remaining super crisp and clean.
Thank you =]
I'm getting compliments whenever I post, heh. Guess I got a lucky idea.
(Not that I don't have the skill to maintain the consistency and whatever, go away imposter's syndrome)

Hopefully, the gameplay won't drag it down.

Rather excited to see where this goes. I may have missed it skimming the thread, but do you have any plans for releasing on mobile or any other platforms?
I think I'll be looking for a porting partner for that. I should probably start actually doing something about it, in case it matters if the game is released on multiple platforms simultaneously.
I don't see it being on mobile, but maybe on Xbox/PS/Switch?

Edit: Also for the cut-away building graphics, I think it would look really nice to do a little exponential interpolation on the alpha to fade it in and out. Give a mini screen transition aesthetic/nostalgia. Something like alpha += (1 - alpha) / 2 and alpha -= alpha / 2 so it's still rather immediate, but not just an instant visibility toggle.
Not sure if I can do it. Building layers are tile layers - otherwise, the game would run at negative 9001 FPS 😂 - and I don't know if it's possible to mess with tile layer alpha easily.
And there is no way I could recreate all these massive - for a solo developer anyway - towns to work with a new system.

Other than that, yeah, I'm sure it would feel much much better.

I might do a bit of research on that in the second half of 2021 when I plan to start a pre-release polishing.

Pzaan

Interesting to follow this game's progress over time. Love the GUI and how it reflects the main world's art style.

I'm curious to know what your definition of "done" is. Are you trying to implement the full vision of what you've imagined? Are you working toward what is needed to be commercially viable? Are you just trying to build out enough story / content to give the game good playability? Or "it's done when I say it's done"?

Phoebe Klim

Interesting to follow this game's progress over time. Love the GUI and how it reflects the main world's art style.

I'm curious to know what your definition of "done" is. Are you trying to implement the full vision of what you've imagined? Are you working toward what is needed to be commercially viable? Are you just trying to build out enough story / content to give the game good playability? Or "it's done when I say it's done"?
I'm glad you like it!

My definition is quite strict, I have a full list of features/content I want to implement, and I have time estimates - when I start missing deadlines, I start cutting content.
The full vision would take decades to make, it's not viable - that's just how many ideas I get, so it's a constant struggle to keep the game from being too huge.

I don't really think about games being "done" - rather "how much post-release support I'm going to give this game".
And the game is ready to release when it looks, feels, and plays the best I can, and when it has a story campaign with a decent amount of hours.

Phoebe Klim

Demo update! Version 0.6.0: Small changes

Hey all,

I've just updated a demo with a bunch of minor changes.

For those who might have saves made in the previous demo version: Please start a new save.
The old one will probably immediately crash because of engine changes in the new version.

Have fun and see you all in July when LOTLW might have a big beta test =]

Download demo

Steam >>
GameJolt >>
Itch.io >>

D

Deleted member 16767

I have to admit. I like the art style. The gameplay looks fun too because of the telegraphing (I saw this on the GMS2 artwork hub on Steam). I'm going to wishlist this.

Phoebe Klim

By the way, the development of this project has been halted, I'll be back next year.
I had to go after an awesome opportunity that couldn't wait.

And no, this is not soft-canceling the thing, LOTLW will be a thing no matter what. Well, I mean I have signed agreements with serious people that LOTLW would become a thing, so it would be pretty hard to not do that =]

Phoebe Klim

Back to the Locked World.png

Hi all,

As Magic of Spring - my other game - is going on hold, I am slowly returning to the rhythm of working on Light of the Locked World.

It's been two very long years and I'm excited to be back to this project!

For the next few months, I will be making three final quests in the game's story campaign - this will include new items, new enemy types, one new large area, a final boss, and so much more!

After the story campaign, the largest of the remaining tasks will be the Classes 2.0 update.
I am planning to give every class a talent/perk/skill tree and fill them with interesting nodes.

The development blog should also resume shortly, so keep an eye on that for weekly development updates.

See you soon!

Last edited:

Phoebe Klim

Light of the Locked World: Devblog #35: Spellscarred Desert

Large update post detailing the content I added to Light of the Locked World in 2024!
Spider tanks, overpowered weapons, lethal abilities, and more!

Tank!!.gif