Alpha Light of the Locked World - 0.0.1 - Fantasy RPG

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Zuurix, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

[​IMG]

Light of the Locked World is a fantasy RPG with local multiplayer, inspired by old school MMOs like Ultima Online and RuneScape.

The World Gate has malfunctioned and you are taken to Caios II - the Locked World.
    As you build a new life for yourself, you notice that something sinister is going on.

You might be in danger - you must find out what's happening.

Features:

Light of the Locked World has all of the beloved RPG features - quests, exploration, crafting, and deep character customization - executed in uncommon ways.

Combat:

Real-time. Uses only one button to attack, effectiveness is based on equipment stats and player's positioning skill.

Local multiplayer:

Take the game to the next level by inviting another player to play with or against you. You have the freedom to compete for rare items, cooperate to overcome difficult tasks, steal, trade, duel, and more.

Add to Steam wishlist >>

Download demo:

GameJolt >>
    Itch.io >>
    GameDev.net >>
    IndieDB >>

Gameplay video:

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

looks good so far!
    Though I'm not a fan of RPG's I like your visual style!

From an art point of view, you could add another layer of detail...to the environment. Because right now its looking too "clean" and minimalistic, and does not IMO really convey the atmosphere of your story.

Check out the game called "Chaos Engine" for visual references, and also because the level layouts are very similar to what you are trying to make. Here's a screenshot to inspire you:

chaos_orig.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Toque, Zuurix and sitebender like this.
  3. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

I'll see what I can do about the environment. I know what you mean about being too minimalistic.

As for atmosphere, you're not supposed to notice that something is wrong at first.
    The story is very much about hidden evil and significant part of it will be trying to figure out exactly what's wrong.

Quest log might actually be a board with red strings =]

I'm also want to make game a loveable, and not the usual hellhole from dark fantasy RPGs.

4. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

LOTLW Blog #4: Better graphics and other goals

After releasing the alpha demo I've been working on improving the game's graphics.

I've started with small things - cloud shadows and sand particles.

[​IMG]

Cloud shadows went through several changes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently, cloud shadows are still not finished because I started working on non-cloud shadows, which currently look like this:

[​IMG]

I've also made minor changes to attack animation, added idle animation, and changed the font.

[​IMG]

Improving graphics is just one of the many things that I want to do before releasing the next demo version:

Add interior system and Locul town
    • A system to allow you to go inside houses and then a bunch of houses!
    UI looks 2.0
    • Current UI looks too bland.
    Character interaction system
    • Pressing a key while you are near to a character will open a screen with options, such as talk to a character, trade with character, etc. This is system is necessary for making quests and trading.
    Role system and first four roles
    • This is a big one: It requires a lot of coding, staff and bow attack animations, 6 new attack spells, and countless UI additions. The first 4 roles to be added are Warrior, Mage, Archer, and Survivor. Expect to get more information about roles in the future.
    The first quest
    • Combining roles, new content, and character interaction system into your first big adventure in Caios!
    My goal for next week is to finish working on graphics and start working on the interior system.

That's all for now, until next time!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  5. Toque

Toque Member

Looks interesting.
    Visually it’s bright wich might be what your looking for. The bright is bright and some middle tones. Little dark tones. I think some detail like pixeldroid said.

Coming along nicely!!

Watching thread

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Zuurix likes this.
  6. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

[​IMG]
    I've been working on shadows - this is how they look at the moment.

IndianaBones and pixeltroid like this.
  7. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

This is looking good!
    The moving cloud shadow effect was also very nice.

If you can code it in, you could show time passing by simply changing the length of the shadows every once in a while - in the way shadows become short or long as the suns position changes in the sky.
    That would be a pretty cool effect if you can pull it off! :)

Zuurix likes this.
  8. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

Thanks =]

Won't do moving shadows because:

1) The pit shadows are sprites made specifically for that angle and tiles.
    2) The Locked World is also tidally locked, so the sun doesn't move =]

9. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

LOTLW Blog #5: Shadows, UI, and future of the combat

It's been two weeks since the last entry.

The first week I've been making shadows, the second - finished shadows and started making new UI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to work on the UI because it has been bothering me for a while and because I wanted to do something different after working so long on shadows.

First I played with colors and frames, hoping that would be enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

None of the mockups felt right for the game. I want an immersive UI, and none of those felt like a part of the game's world.

I wanted something UI as cool as old RPGs had - with statues, stone arches, columns, gems, parchments, and other good stuff.

While thinking about all of this, an image flashed in my mind, it looked something like this:

[​IMG]

I've spent an entire day trying to make it fit the art style of the game.

The last iteration of castle UI even had shelves in the inventory.

[​IMG]

But I've run into problems.

I had two options: Make it noisy and tiring to the eyes to display all of the useful information, or hide the information to make it look better.

I really hate choosing between convenience and beauty, so I decided to drop the castle UI and try something else.

The next idea is to go for a medieval adventurer logbook/diary feel.

[​IMG]

So instead of putting things on shelves in a castle, the adventurer would instead draw pictures of owned items on a piece of paper.

Currently, it's the best idea - this UI has the same looks as the rest of the game, it makes sense, and it's convenient.

Hoping to finish it next week.

Anyway, about the combat:

The feedback I received since the pre-alpha demo was released is clear - combat needs to be better.

Like castle UI, position-based combat seemed like a great idea at first.
    It turned out that it's just more complicated than it needs to be and has no significant benefits.

I want to get rid of the position aspect of the system, and instead, allow to use attacks everywhere with different buttons as many other games do.

I also want players to be able to change their strategy during fights and have more options.

The weapons should offer 3 or more ways to defeat an enemy.

For example, ideas for the iron sword:

Attack A:
    A quick attack that deals low damage, but makes the target bleed and increases movement speed temporarily.
    The plan is to jump to the enemy, make it bleed and run away, repeat until the enemy dies.

Attack B:
    A slow attack that in addition to dealing damage, binds both you and the enemy.
    There is a short window for the enemy to escape.
    The plan is to bind and outlast the enemy.

Attack C:
    Creates an energy field that deals high to enemies that are performing attacks against you.
    The energy field will also deal low damage to enemies around you.
    The plan is to create the field and punish aggressive enemies, then finish them with area damage.

A is effective against C because you don't have to stay in the energy field. A is useful if you have low health and can't afford to take too much damage.

B is effective against A because bleed is only useful if it's possible to run away. B is a good option if you can take some damage or an ally is healing you.

C is effective against B because it requires the enemy to attack you. It's also a defensive option because it punishes enemies that are attacking you. Also effective against enemy groups.

This should give the player plenty of choices and make new things possible with AI.
    NPCs could react to what you're doing, for example, try B when you're doing A.
    Then you can switch to C for that retaliation damage or B - if you are confident that you can outlast the enemy.

I have no idea if this will work, but I think it's safe to say that the next version of the demo will be more interesting to test!

I'll be changing the combat when I'm done with UI and other graphical improvements, so in a week or two.

That's all for now, until next time!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    pixeltroid and slojanko like this.
  10. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

Nice. You are putting a lot of thought into the design of the UI. :)

I like the idea of using hand-drawn drawings paper as a means to represent the inventory items. Your icon design is very nice as well.

Just some input with regard to your inventory icon: Maybe the icons need to be the same size and have the same visual weight.
    Also, is there a reason why the last 2 icons in the first line are in an outline, while the others are in solid black?

Zuurix likes this.
  11. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

I'm glad you like it =]

Last two icons are supposed to be a belt and an amulet.
    And yeah, the icons will be improved.

12. Zuurix

Zuurix Member

LOTLW Blog #6: Progress GIFs

UI rework is coming to an end!

I'm very happy with how it looks now - buttons will move, features will be added and removed, but the style will stay the same.

[​IMG]

Another thing that will make it to version 1.0 is the new tooltip system!

[​IMG]

They are incredibly versatile and easy to customize - they will be crucial in building the rest of UI.

[​IMG]

The next tasks are to convert the rest of UI to the new style - currently, only the Items page have been converted - and make a new HUD.

I'm hoping to do that next week and then start working on combat changes I've written about in the previous entry.

Until next time!