• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Life is Harsh Development Diary

L

LifeIsHarsh

Hello My name is Rudolf Michna and I started my first serious project in Game Maker Studio. At the beginning I have to mention that English is not my first language and I still developing skills in Game Maker Studio and English.
I haven't finished the idea and whole design of Life Is Harsh. But diffidently it's going to be music and story based game. For the very first I know that I should start from Concept Arts or the first drafts of game play. But I have a weird personality so for the first I created a menu of my game. Also I made a "speed art" video of my youtube channel where I am going to regularly upload video's about my game.
Please leave your opinions and feedback below the video or this post.
And also I have to mention that I am not an artist or a game developer but I guy who just want to create his first game from nothing to something.
Menu.png

Edit From 16:18 30/06/2016
I had a little bit of time so I decided to change something in my menu design thanks to Xer0botXer0 for ideas. Also I want to to create a animated clouds but this going to be already in game maker to make my life a little easier.
Menuv2.png
Edit From 19:00 30/06/2016
I read the suggestion about the colour composition of the text. I decided to change it into blue because it's have a little contrast compare to a background.
Menuv3.png
Edit From 19:56 30/06/2016
Good News folks So my brother decided to help me with creating my game by his own skills. He is quite ambitious music compositor. And he created a pretty good ambient for Main Menu. I think this music suits well what I want to create it.
Edit from 0:44 01/07/2016
Rain effect test and sound effects in main menu went well. Except that rain doesn't want to cover right side of screen for some reason. Going to fix it as fast as I can

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LifeIsHarsh

Hmm, have you been on the pixelation.org forum ?

The buildings remind me of something I've seen there. I'll see if i can find the link.
Excuse me but I never heard about that forum. I know I leave under stone.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
When you're using Photoshop, if you have a layer you want to duplicate, you can just use the move tool (the black arrow) and hold down ALT while you click and drag the layer somewhere else. That will save you a LOT of time with all those windows.

It surprised me that yo're using Photoshop, actually - since you say you're not an artist. I guess that's not too abnormal though. :p

L

LifeIsHarsh

When you're using Photoshop, if you have a layer you want to duplicate, you can just use the move tool (the black arrow) and hold down ALT while you click and drag the layer somewhere else. That will save you a LOT of time with all those windows.

It surprised me that yo're using Photoshop, actually - since you say you're not an artist. I guess that's not too abnormal though. :p
I think making a menu in Photoshop it's much easier than in Game Maker Studio. Game Maker Studio will allow me to make kinda Hitboxes on Text. And thanks for the tip about Layers. I am definitely going to make use of that in future.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
I'm not suggesting you don't make your menu in Photoshop - at the very least, it's a great idea to do that, since it gives you the flexibility to rapidly try different ideas without committing it to code.

I just thought it was interesting that someone who claims to be a non-artist would be using Photoshop. Like I said, that's probably not too surprising, though. :p

If you plan on learning Photoshop, definitely spend some time leaning the keyboard shortcuts for the things you do most. It will make your life much, much easier.

S

Snail Man

Quick menu suggestion: The shadows on the button text kind of blends with the color of the text itself, making it look muddy and hard to read. I'd try either darkening the color of the text itself, or making the shadows fainter so that there's more difference/contrast.

L

LifeIsHarsh

Quick menu suggestion: The shadows on the button text kind of blends with the color of the text itself, making it look muddy and hard to read. I'd try either darkening the color of the text itself, or making the shadows fainter so that there's more difference/contrast.
Thank you for suggestion!