• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

License upgrade and extra access.

So, recently I was starting to watch a GameMaker Studio tutorial on YouTube specifically on a channel called "Beyond Is Games," and he goes over GMS 1.4 and 2 and eventually shows a graph that days the following.

If you see it then great. But if you don't and it just says "," the channel's first video of the tutorial has a table that states if you upgrade to at least the desktop license, you gain professional access to GameMaker 1.4. What I want to know is...is this information still true even if this video was posted on 2017? Yes or no, do you still gain access to GameMaker Studio 1.4 of you upgrade to either a web or desktop license?

All I'm asking is a Yes or a No. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

rIKmAN

So, recently I was starting to watch a GameMaker Studio tutorial on YouTube specifically on a channel called "Beyond Is Games," and he goes over GMS 1.4 and 2 and eventually shows a graph that days the following.

If you see it then great. But if you don't and it just says "," the channel's first video of the tutorial has a table that states if you upgrade to at least the desktop license, you gain professional access to GameMaker 1.4. What I want to know is...is this information still true even if this video was posted on 2017? Yes or no, do you still gain access to GameMaker Studio 1.4 of you upgrade to either a web or desktop license?

All I'm asking is a Yes or a No. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
You used to get a 1.4 licence bundled when you purchased GMS2, but no - this is no longer the case and 1.4 has been sunsetted and not supported for a while now.
There is no legitimate way to purchase 1.4 licences any more.

So I guess famoius developers such as Toby Fox of Undertale, Heart Machine of Hyper Light Drifter and 4Bit Games of ORBIT are just lucky enough to still have the 1.4 version 💩💩💩💩ing existing for their development processes?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
To fulfill the original request: No.

Anyone who purchased a 1.x license during the time it was being sold, as well as anyone who purchased a corresponding 2.x license during the time 1.x was bundled with it, has access to 1.x and any export modules they had purchased at the time. The people you mentioned probably fall under either of these categories.

Currently, only 2.x is being sold, 1.x licenses are no longer being sold and support for it has been dropped entirely.

That's the answer, now here's the question: Is there any specific reason why you're looking for 1.x? We may be able to find an alternative solution that fulfills your needs if you elaborate on your intentions and requirements.

The Main reason I want at least any 1.x license is because even though it is not supported in any means, that probably means Yoyo Games must mean there are lo longer any updates needed for the engine and they think the engine itself seems complete...for one.
2. I have found dozens of books showing how to do any kind of coding and scripting in GML in the original GMS 1.4 and not in GMS 2.
3. As cringey as it may sound, Undertale inspired me to develop games and I want to make games that look and function the way Toby Fox handles GMS.

I even tried installing GMS 1.4 itself but when I try and boot it up, it there is a script in the following link:
https://www-assets.yoyogames.com/assets/application-162c6f46f8bd706162b3882ee7335de4.js
(I know you guys may not have enough time to read through that long-ass jumble of text so please ignore it) I have also looked around and other people have these problems.
That makes me think there is a glitch in the system (this specific program was installed on Yoyo Games itself)
Although whenever I input my credentials and press "LOGIN," there is an error that says I don't have any licenses attached to my account...then THAT makes me think I need to buy a license (which I can easily handle).
I will be able to answer other questions you guys may have.

Last edited:

O.Stogden

GML is essentially the same language between GMS1 and GMS2, it's quite easy to port games between them.

So tutorials for GMS 1.4 should generally work with GMS2.

As for GMS1 being "Complete", it didn't really work like that. GMS2 is more a *continuation* of GMS1. It launched with pretty much all the features that GMS1 has, but is still being expanded with further features.

I would suggest heavily against starting off with GMS1 at this point, GMS2 is capable of everything GMS1 can do and more, and will still be expanded for a while yet.

Acquiring a GMS1 license now will probably breach the Terms YoYoGames set out, as they are the only legitimate seller of it, and they don't sell it anymore.