• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE License portability?

csanyk

We now know from today's announcement that GMS2 IDE for Mac OSX will be happening, but will not be available at launch.

This raises a question: if I want to switch from Windows to OSX, can I port a Windows-license for GMS2 to Mac OSX GMS2 once the OSX IDE becomes available?

I sure hope that YYG allow this; to me, licenses should be platform-agnostic, and allow you to use the software you are entitled to use regardless of what platform you're running, as long as the software is available on that platform.

hippyman

I don't personally have or use a Mac but I completely agree with being able to use the software on whatever platform the user prefers (if it's available of course)

rIKmAN

The 'Desktop Licence' includes exporting to Windows, Linux and Mac so I doubt a licence port will be required.

Your licence will work whether you use the Windows or Mac version of the IDE.

csanyk

The 'Desktop Licence' includes exporting to Windows, Linux and Mac so I doubt a licence port will be required.

Your licence will work whether you use the Windows or Mac version of the IDE.
I'm not talking about build target for projects built in the IDE, I'm talking about the license to activate the IDE.

If GMS2:MacOSX is coming a year from now, and I am entitled to upgrade pricing from GMS1.x to 2 for a limited time, and the only verison of GMS2 that is available during that time is the Windows IDE, I want to be able to buy the upgrade, get the Windows IDE, and have the option to move that license over to OSX if my next computer is a Mac.

I think that's fairly important.

I don't think I should have to buy GMS2:MacOSX if I already bought GMS2 on Windows, and want to switch to OSX once it's possible to do so.

rIKmAN

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt they will charge separately for the OSX version of the IDE.

I would assume you download the 'trial' OSX version of the IDE and input your "Pro" key the same way you do with the Windows version of the IDE right now - and that the key will activate 'Pro' features in both versions.

Needs confirming of course, but that's what I would expect.

csanyk

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt they will charge separately for the OSX version of the IDE.

I would assume you download the 'trial' OSX version of the IDE and input your "Pro" key the same way you do with the Windows version of the IDE right now - and that the key will activate 'Pro' features in both versions.

Needs confirming of course, but that's what I would expect.
This is my hope as well.

D

Drewster

We now know from today's announcement that GMS2 IDE for Mac OSX will be happening, but will not be available at launch.

This raises a question: if I want to switch from Windows to OSX, can I port a Windows-license for GMS2 to Mac OSX GMS2 once the OSX IDE becomes available?

I sure hope that YYG allow this; to me, licenses should be platform-agnostic, and allow you to use the software you are entitled to use regardless of what platform you're running, as long as the software is available on that platform.
I completely agree.