Distribution License ownership and export

Z

zendraw

So ive been working on multiple projects for people including my own projects, and some of these projects are meant for android, but i dont have android export and my question is is it fine, legal, for the people that i work with to export for android or do i need to have a license?
in one of the cases i have a signed document with the person im woprking for stating that he owns the code and everything about the game.
in another case i dont have such documents
and in my case i just have my game.

id appreciate if only poeople that have 100% knowledge about this reply.

sylvain_l

you should be safe.

my reasoning is:
imagine someone making an extension and selling it on the marketplace here on yoyogames. The marketplace asset creator only have the desktop license. But a buyer decide to use it with is mobile license. There is nothing in yoyogames marketplace handling/terms that prevent that. If yoyogames is fine with that, they should be fine with what you are doing.

Z

zendraw

well yeah it makes sense in my case to be safe, another reason being the rule that you can use a license on 3 or 5 devices. still these are just guesses, and seing how long it takes even for a random reply maybe it wuld be better to write yoyo?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
but i dont have android export and my question is is it fine, legal, for the people that i work with to export for android or do i need to have a license?
In this situation you are an independent contractor for a person with an android license, this is fine and legal

in one of the cases i have a signed document with the person im woprking for stating that he owns the code and everything about the game.
Awesome, keep a copy of those documents and save them incase of any future issues

in another case i dont have such documents
Thats fine, but contracts and documents are the silver bullet to lawsuits

and in my case i just have my game.
If you are developing for android you will require the android license, no one else can compile your game that owns an android license as that breaks the elua

another reason being the rule that you can use a license on 3 or 5 devices.
Im pretty sure this is just for registered gamemaker applications using the same license, not "You can not do this project for someone because you've used your license on other computers" Thats not what that is,
for clarity that is for downloading and activating gamemaker on devices

and seing how long it takes even for a random reply maybe it wuld be better to write yoyo?
Its a forum not a helpdesk, replies come when they come, and it is always good to contact yoyo about game maker legal and license issues

Z

zendraw

i actually dont see how to contact yuoyo about this, they have some options on Contact, but none about licenses.

rIKmAN

i actually dont see how to contact yuoyo about this, they have some options on Contact, but none about licenses.
If you are logged in and using the regular contact form, I'd put it under "www.YoYoGames.com website issue" as it relates to licencing and the EULA (and the EULA is hosted there), then describe your issue / ask for clarification in the summary and description boxes.

You could also use"Licencing and Refunds" as again it relates to licencing, but it requires your transaction ID for your purchase which seems unnecesary and irrelevant in this situation.

Z

zendraw

ill just buy the license, cant really bother my mind with legal stuff.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
ill just buy the license, cant really bother my mind with legal stuff.
This is your best bet. This has actually came up before, and no, you can't have a buddy that has the mobile export do it for you. If you are an actual team working on the game, then everybody would need to own the export as I see it. If YOU were the one with the mobile export and didn't have a team, rather you contracted others to help you with specific parts, like code, sprites, etc... then I would think you would be fine. Maybe @Nocturne can clarify the details better, as He is the one who I've seen clarify in the past.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@kburkhart84 is correct and that to export for a specific platform you must own a licence for that platform or you are breaking the GM EULA (see article 3.7). Now, if you are working as part of a team, then technically everyone in the team should have the same level of licence as they are all profiting from the final export. However if you are a contractor then I'm pretty sure this is not applicable as you are being paid for a specific task that is not based on the final product or published product. That said, as has been mentioned, there is no harm at all in contacting YYG about this and get them to clarify the position officially.