• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Libpng problem

HAEGOE

So I searched about the libpng vulnerability issue, and they were saying they'll update it in the newer version.
The thing is I was using the downgraded version because newer version requires Google play related extension(which older version didn't), and even with that it vomited errors so bad that I couldn't make an app.

What I ask is that should I upgrade the GMS when libpng fix comes out, or can I just update the libpng version manually?

J

jackhigh24

ye that's what i was hoping you could do as i needed to stay on the older version for a bit to for very similar reasons, but the problem is google change the system that runs these libs to a knew one so yoyo are having to rewrite there system to match, meaning there is no way of injecting libpng into it, so we will have to get the new version when it comes out and do some tweaking in our games, but i and others will try and help you on anything we can, il might be also after some help my self but maybe not as i dont know what i will have to change yet, but in the long run this will be good for us and the newer version is a lot more efficant and will make our games run even better once we get them sorted to work with it and the new extension stuff.

zbox

GMC Elder
I personally would suggest waiting for our fix. Don't worry it is coming.
Any idea what the time frame of that is? Has been a while since the last update and there are a stack of bugfixes that I'm relying on that have been solved in the tracker but not released yet

Rushad

Hey Richard,

My app is live on the Google Play Store using v.1.4.1474.

Today I cant find my app on the play store anymore because of the libpng issue. Im really stuck in a hard place at the moment. While I understand that a newer version of game maker will fix this libpng problem, every version of game maker since v.1.4.1474 has a game breaking memory leak which I only just reported (http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/requests/108100).

This is partially my fault, I should have reported this issue long time ago instead of staying on v.1.4.1474. But I really didnt expect something like this to suddenly pop up.

Im an indie developer and rely on my game for income, so Im really panicked at the moment since it was removed from the play store searches. I am really desperate and would appreciate if there is any way I can solve the libpng issue for version 1.4.1474.

If there any way you guys can give me some direction as to how I can go about fixing this myself without the latest update, even though it is not suggested ?

R

Richard

I've passed that on to the QA Team who'll hopefully look at it soon.

L

Latahunden

I have the same problem.
I would really appreciate if yoyo could push a new release with this fixed as soon as possible.

camerakid

Hey Richard,

My app is live on the Google Play Store using v.1.4.1474.

Today I cant find my app on the play store anymore because of the libpng issue. Im really stuck in a hard place at the moment. While I understand that a newer version of game maker will fix this libpng problem, every version of game maker since v.1.4.1474 has a game breaking memory leak which I only just reported (http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/requests/108100).

This is partially my fault, I should have reported this issue long time ago instead of staying on v.1.4.1474. But I really didnt expect something like this to suddenly pop up.

Im an indie developer and rely on my game for income, so Im really panicked at the moment since it was removed from the play store searches. I am really desperate and would appreciate if there is any way I can solve the libpng issue for version 1.4.1474.

If there any way you guys can give me some direction as to how I can go about fixing this myself without the latest update, even though it is not suggested ?
Hey Rushad, Exactly can feel and understand your concerns I am exactly having the situation. Seeing that one's years of work disappear from the store is terrifying. However I believe the error is not really on YoYo's side this update email arrived so suddenly and stated that existing APKs won't be affected however it seems searches are affected. Hopefully "very-very-very" soon is here sooner and hopefully it will not affect ranking and search very much. Thanks Richard for the quick update.

Rushad

Hey Rushad, Exactly can feel and understand your concerns I am exactly having the situation. Seeing that one's years of work disappear from the store is terrifying. However I believe the error is not really on YoYo's side this update email arrived so suddenly and stated that existing APKs won't be affected however it seems searches are affected. Hopefully "very-very-very" soon is here sooner and hopefully it will not affect ranking and search very much. Thanks Richard for the quick update.
I agree it's not really on YoYo's side, the email from Google was misleading us to believe we had until september 17th.

J

jackhigh24

iv been doing some research and in my opinion looks like google did this to make there android studio the only up to date ide out there, as yoyo are working on this as soon as they found out then the only ones to moan about are google, and no there is no way to make the new libpng work with any version of game maker. only this new game maker one that is coming asap will work as the old one used ANT if you want to go reading about that good luck i spent days and i see no way other than yoyo saving us from the big bad google monopoly.

Rushad

iv been doing some research and in my opinion looks like google did this to make there android studio the only up to date ide out there, as yoyo are working on this as soon as they found out then the only ones to moan about are google, and no there is no way to make the new libpng work with any version of game maker. only this new game maker one that is coming asap will work as the old one used ANT if you want to go reading about that good luck i spent days and i see no way other than yoyo saving us from the big bad google monopoly.
Wow so this just made every previous version of game maker redundant for Android :(

zbox

GMC Elder
Right apart from the active exploit found in it hence the reason for disallowing binaries using it this is definitely what happened yes.

R

Richard

@Rushad I just had someone on twitter telling me their game was removed from the app store as well. They contacted Google and are getting it fixed. We initially thought it was the libpng issue.

I have to admit I would have thought they would have told you there was an issue before letting you submit as well.. Kinda annoying..

R

RATInteractive

@Rushad I just had someone on twitter telling me their game was removed from the app store as well. They contacted Google and are getting it fixed. We initially thought it was the libpng issue.

I have to admit I would have thought they would have told you there was an issue before letting you submit as well.. Kinda annoying..

I know you said very soon, but can we get it sooner. Many apps are partially off the store as they wont come up when you search via mobile or tablet

R

Richard

Sorry I don't want to lead you on but I'll say it again. I have a few people speaking with Google at the moment and they have stated that it's an issue with Google. Please contact them.

Edit: it doesn't seem to be related to libpng.

R

RATInteractive

Sorry I don't want to lead you on but I'll say it again. I have a few people speaking with Google at the moment and they have stated that it's an issue with Google. Please contact them.

Edit: it doesn't seem to be related to libpng.
It's highly unlikely that almost everyone with this issue with the libpng message has there apps partially removed from the store could be to do with something else?

I'm certain that it the error message that's causing this.

maybe releasing a fix will allow us to find out

R

Richard

You're right we will find out..

However, It does not state here that they will do this.

I am not lying when I say I have a number of people speaking to Google about it.

Out of curiosity, what is your app name?

Edit: I searched for both your apps on your footer, they both appeared for me..

R

RATInteractive

You're right we will find out..

However, It does not state here that they will do this.

I am not lying when I say I have a number of people speaking to Google about it.

Out of curiosity, what is your app name?

Edit: I searched for both your apps on your footer, they both appeared for me..
Did you search for them on a mobile device though

they show on pc browsers but not on the play store app

R

Richard

So if they show up on PC I can conclude that they show up and that is it an issue with mobile based searching.

That is 100% a Google issue, why would libpng affect it on a device by device basis.

Please please please contact google before assuming.

R

RATInteractive

Before I bother contacting google i will wait till i have the warnings removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Richard

Yeh that's fine (and totally understandable), we do have other people on the case. So hopefully Google will fix it on their end.

S

Shihaisha

Have exactly the same problem as described above. A couple days ago all my apps disappeared from Play Store search on mobile devices, while still showing up on web search. Needless to say, all download stats for my apps starting from June 28 dropped to almost zero as the result. It's a serious problem for all indie developers. I did send a request to google support yesterday, but no reply thus far. :/

M

Marcos

very strange staff this issue, it seems that only happened to gamemaker apps, as my colleague has apps android studio and gamemaker, and only disappeared the gamemaker apps, and also disappeared all my apps .... I've sent email to google plus still not answered me. Twists to normalize as quickly as possible, because it affected all downloads. :mad::mad:

I just noticed my apps were back on Google Play, at least on my phone, which lends weight to the theory that it was Google and not GM:S responsible for the issue.

R

RATInteractive

How did you contact google, and what did you write on Email. Thanks.
Use the support button in the developer console

I didn't contact Google but they have re-appeared for now

S

Shihaisha

The problem seems to be solved as of today, and all my apps are listed in the search on phone again. As to Google, I got a generic "we'll let our technical team know" reply. They didn't explain whether it was related to libpng or not.

HAEGOE

I had simliar issues about not showing my app on google play, and it solved today.

And back to libpng, So that issue will be fixed for future updated versions only, right? OK then.. Hope the obvligatory google play extension that newer version requires works. I downgraded my gms in the first place because it was vomiting errors and won't make me an apk file.

2mato

My apps are there on google play but downloads almost 80% less, any ideas ?

J

jackhigh24

I had simliar issues about not showing my app on google play, and it solved today.

And back to libpng, So that issue will be fixed for future updated versions only, right? OK then.. Hope the obvligatory google play extension that newer version requires works. I downgraded my gms in the first place because it was vomiting errors and won't make me an apk file.
what were the errors it said, was it it could not find google play services even though you added them.