1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Beta LET'S FIGHT - Simple Two Button Fighter

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by GarlicGuy, May 9, 2019.

1. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

LET'S FIGHT!

Two-button fighter using A and S keys.
    A very simple fighter and a small side project!

Project started on: 5/5/19

Video - AI TEST and Basic Combat System.

Each character uses a single sprite with 13 frames. Each character is also from my various unfinished projects.

Right now I have 8 characters planned out. With how simple it is to make characters there may be more.

Characters so far:

Chain - Ninja wannabe. Master of "Fireballs" and his sword skill is so fast you hardly ever see his blade.

Dotta - Young girl with a supernatural cell phone that she is obsessed with. Assaults you with angry texts, filters, and her creepy followers.

Father - Catholic priest and pro wrestler. He is constantly tempted by his demons...But fights them in battle. Will throw a succubus at you or pile drive one onto you by accident.

Paralynn - Was pro baseball player until she was bitten by a vampire...and banned for using her supernatural abilities. Decided to use her baseball skills and vampire abilities for vigilante justice.

Copper Cockroach - Winner of the worst superhero of the year award. His acts of justice result in large amounts of casualties and the bad guy getting away...He's been on the run from the law because of this.

Lorena - A vagrant women who is a master of "Total Balance" a devastating fighting style that she claims came to her in a day. She wants to share this fighting style with the world. Fights with a bowl of water on her head, and she doesn't spill a drop.

Frisco - Self proclaimed "Samurai Fisherman". He's developed a sword that doubles as a fishing rod. Wants to showcase how effective it is at chopping down attackers and catching fish, so he can sell his invention for big bucks. Will occasionally reel various sea creatures (sharks, squids..etc) into battle.

Edith - A giant "royal" spider creature who broke free from a top-secret facility. Uses her trusty battle axe and shoots webs from her behind. She's a big easy target to hit and she's not very quick but powerful.

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 8:38 AM
    IndianaBones and Pfap like this.
  2. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

UPDATE#1 - Zooming and Alternate Costumes

Due to the simplicity of the sprites. I can do more than change color palettes. I can add accessories, change whole outfits. Made a new costume for chain complete with shades.

I've also added a camera zoom, so the action doesn't feel distant when characters are close.

Fixed some collisions as well. Up next I'll dress up the HUD. Backgrounds etc will be polished much later.

[​IMG]

3. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

UPDATE#2
    Added a new character named 'Father' A Catholic priest and pro wrestler. He battles demons as he battles you. He uses them in his attacks (accidentally)...Throws, pile drivers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  4. Toque

Toque Member

Cool characters.

GarlicGuy likes this.
  5. Bentley

Bentley Member

haha

Pfap, Toque and GarlicGuy like this.
  6. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

This looks interesting, loving the character designs and descriptions too.

GarlicGuy likes this.
  7. Siolfor the Jackal

Oh damn, didn't check the user name. I was thinking the art style reminded me of Rocco and Renwick and now I know why XD

GarlicGuy likes this.
  8. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

Thanks for your feedback!

UPDATE#3 - Brutal AI - PHYSICS tweaks - etc

All character's stances only use two-frames out of their sprite, but with the scale effect, I have the illusion of many frames!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've made the AI very clever! As you see me get my ass handed to me by an AI controlled Dotta.

[​IMG]

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  9. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

UPDATE#3.5 - Character Themes

I compose musical themes for each character as I go. Some tweaking may happen.

The theme of Dotta - "Screen Time" (Joyful and carefree)
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/screen_time

The theme of Paralynn - "Blood and Baseball" (Mysterious and focused)
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/blood_and_baseball

The theme of Chain - "Weeb Rage" (Chill)
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/weeb_rage

The theme of Father - "Holy Might" (Churchy and a little aggressive)
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/holy_might

Nocturne and Siolfor the Jackal like this.
  10. HeWhoShallNotBeNamed

HeWhoShallNotBeNamed Member

I love the dynamic camera, as well as the art style. Its bright and simplistic, but in a good way. Also, your character descriptions are just awesome.

Making your own Smash Bros., then? Good idea. I could imagine someone doing a really cool version of that with a roster entirely taken from the GMC Work in Progress forum.

GarlicGuy likes this.
  11. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

@hewhoshallnotbenamed

Thanks! I’d say it’s more like ‘Dive-Kick’ had a pixelated bastard child with ‘fantasy strike’ LOL.

I just really wanted to put these characters to use. Fighting games normally have strange random characters (yoga masters who spit fire fighting dictators who can fly) which adds to the fun “anything goes” factor.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 12:58 AM
  12. Siolfor the Jackal

I definitely got a Divekick vibe from the first gif I saw. Which was a great game too.

GarlicGuy likes this.
  13. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

@Siolfor the Jackal

Glad it showed in the GIF!

——————

UPDATE#4 - Two new fighters.

[​IMG]
    Copper Cockroach - Winner of the worst superhero of the year award. His acts of justice result in large amounts of casualties and the bad guy getting away...He's been on the run from the law because of this...Has an arsenal of gizmos...Mainly stolen police equipment he’s spray painted copper. “Copper Cannon” (shot gun) “Copper Stinger” (Tazer)...etc

[​IMG]
    Lorena - A vagrant women who is a master of "Total Balance" a devastating fighting style that she claims came to her in a day. She wants to share this fighting style with the world. Fights with a bowl of water on her head, and she doesn't spill a drop.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 4:32 PM
  14. Siolfor the Jackal

The characters are wonderful haha.

GarlicGuy likes this.
  15. HeWhoShallNotBeNamed

HeWhoShallNotBeNamed Member

Your characters, man. If you wanted to do a microtransaction character unlock thing (I wouldn't, but to each their own), you could make a mint. "That's right. I DID spend $3.99 on a girl with a bowl of water on her head last night..."

Keep up the good work.

GarlicGuy and Siolfor the Jackal like this.
  16. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

UPDATE#5 Two new fighters - new themes for the last two.

Composed more character themes.

Theme of Copper Cockroach - "Have Fear" (Urban and a bit "dopey")
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/have-fear-roach-is-here

Theme of Lorena - "Total Balance" (Zen and upbeat)
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/total-balance

Two new characters

[​IMG]
    Frisco - Self proclaimed "Samurai Fisherman". He's developed a sword that doubles as a fishing rod. Wants to showcase how effective it is at chopping down attackers and catching fish, so he can sell his invention for big bucks. Will occasionally reel various sea creatures (sharks, squids..etc) into battle.

[​IMG]
    Edith - A giant "royal" spider creature who broke free from a top-secret facility. Uses her trusty battle axe and shoots webs from her behind. She's a big easy target to hit and she's not very quick, but she's powerful.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 10:50 AM
  17. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

Not a bad idea! Maybe I will....Lol

--------

UPDATE#....6 - more new and new-ish themes - Testing to see who's "broken" - more alrernate costumes.
    New themes

Theme of Frisco - "Fish Blade" (upbeat island Chiptune)
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/fish-blade

Theme of Edith - "Royal Spider" (Heroic fast paced with some techno)
    https://soundcloud.com/sean-greenwood-429970669/royal-spider

ALT Costumes - Again, the game isn't animation heavy as the scale effect does most of the work, so its nothing to make a separate outfit for a character with a few clicks of the mouse. I'm playing with the idea of their outfit affecting their move-set. below are some examples/concepts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 10:52 PM
  18. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

Play testing - Cheap character fixing

Making sure the core mechanics are in order. Double KO's were a rare occurrence I overlooked but I fixed that. The video shows Para-lynn game-play. The game is taking shape and has all of the fighting game essentials aside from intros.

Upped the character animation frame count to 19 max, to give myself more creative freedom.

I have no demo yet, but just to give those who are wondering. Here’s how the "two-button" controls work:

A (ground) = jump
    A - A (ground rapidly) = jump back/evade
    S (ground) = Standard attack
    S (Air) = Dive attack
    A+S (Ground) = Special 1
    A+S (Air)= Special 2
    S (while evading) = Comeback attack (if the character has one.)

Despite the simplicity of the game, each character feels different and has unique abilities...For example Paralynn can bat opponents projectile back at them with her standard attack...shown in video.

I plan to have spectators and what not in the background just haven’t got around to do it yet.

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 4:08 PM
  19. Khao

Khao Member

I love how minimalistic this whole thing is both gameplay-wise and in terms of design and animation. The characters are freaking amazing too! Some of your description got an actual chuckle out of me, haha.