• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics Let the player know he/she has picked up a powerup

B

Bokkie2988

Hi,

How would you let a player know he/she has picked up a powerup?
Leave your ideas in the reactions!

Thanks,

-Bokkie

T

TinyGamesLab

Obviously it will depend on the game style, but I like the following:
  • Particles (make the player emmit some particles to let it know something changed or have the GUI emmit the particles)
  • Screen shake
  • Time slowdown
  • Sprite flash (it works, but be careful if you are alread using it for damage or something else)
  • Any combination of the above methods
I'm currently writing a tutorial on this topic of letting the player know something changed! If additional interesting ideas pop-up I could add them to the tutorial!
Rgds

M

Menik

You could also keep a running icon/identifier as part of the HUD that shows the player is currently in a certain mode, depending on the power-up. Like if the player picks up fire-based powers, a little fire icon can appear beside/under the health.

Maybe even a designated spot that holds that icon so the player knows when or not they have the power-up(if you want to stray from changing appearance).

Otherwise changing the appearance/adding an effect to the player instance is probably the best way to communicate a power-up.