1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Code layer_get_id() / layer_tile_create() bug?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Bros Before Giraffes, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Bros Before Giraffes

Bros Before Giraffes Member

I want to use tiles to add blood decals to the floor, but the tiles are not being created and I keep getting this in the output window
    [​IMG]
    I'm using this code to place the tiles:
    Code:
    var n = layer_get_id("tiles");
    layer_tile_create(n,x,y,tile_blood,1,1,16,16);

As you can see, I do have a tiles layer named "tiles" in the room.
    [​IMG]

I checked the manual to make sure I was using the functions right, but it seemed like it was okay.
    Could this be a bug or is there something I'm still doing wrong?

EDIT: I just read about layer_tile_create() in the manual. It says I should never use it outside of compatibility scripts. Why is that? And if I can't use this function, how do I add tiles to a tile layer?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

3. Ariak

Ariak Member

@Nocturne
    This is a bug in GMS2. `layer_get_id` of a tilelayer will return -1 (couldnt find any) if there is no Tileset assigned in the room editor. The bug has been reported.

As a result you will either have to create the layer + tilemap through code, OR set a tileset to the layer in the room editor.

The function you are looking for is called layer_tilemap_create - not layer_tile_create.

There are indeed undocumentend layer_tile functions, but these require a unique tile element id. These seem to be new functions where we can set the blend,alpha etc. of indivudal tiles and are probably part of a future update. EDIT: as nocturne pointed out i was wrong - they are for compatability scripts.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

The functions the user is referring to are not "undocumented functions that will be part of a future update". They are undocumented functions that are only for internal use. http://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.html?page=source/_build/3_scripting/4_gml_reference/compatibility_functions.html

As for what the user says, I misread the full topic and they are missing a step... they need to get the tilemap layer that the tile is on, not just jump from the layer ID to the tile. You create a layer, then you create a tilemap and THEN you add/remove/change the tiles on the tilemap.

So:

Code:
    var n = layer_get_id("tiles");
    var m = layer_tilemap_get_id(n);
    tilemap_set_at_pixel(m, TILE_INDEX_VALUE, x, y);

:)

Ariak likes this.
  5. Bros Before Giraffes

Bros Before Giraffes Member

Thanks for the help guys! I got the tiles to spawn, but they automatically snap to a 16x16 grid. Is there a way to create tiles at any point in the room instead of snapping to the grid?