Layer/object conflict?

Hi everyone,
I wonder if any one of you can help me with this very rookie thing I cannot wrap my head around.

I'm trying to make a boardgame of sorts. The board consists of different tiles (all part of obj_tile on "Instances" layer). Actors (players, enemies) are smaller sized sprites that step on tiles (these are rendered on the "Movers" layer above "Instances". For the sake of simplicity I added a description text to each tile and actor that is rendered at the bottom of the screen (every object's Mouse Enter and Mouse Leave events fill up a "DescrMessage" text or empty it, respectively).

So if I hover over a tile with a character on it, my DescrMessage displays the tile text, I move on to the smaller character sprite in the corner of the tile, the DescrMessage displays the character text - and when I move back to the same tile position, hovering on the bigger tile, it does not re-display the tile desription, although it hovers above it.

What causes this, where am I making a mistake? (I thought that when I move away from the character token, the mouse hovers to a different sprite on a different layer so I should not even bother with instance depth checks.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe the instances sprites are overlapping slightly, so that the Mouse Enter Event is triggered on the new instance, but then the Mouse Leave event is triggered on the previous instance slightly after that.

Add some debug comments using show_debug_message() to your Mouse Leave and Mouse Enter events to see that they are firing in the correct order or not.

If that still doesn't help, posting your code and a screen shot of the board layout would be useful.