Launch game (splash screen) at larger resolution? (Solved!)

C

Cannikin

So I've got the width and height of my game set to 400 x 240. However, once the game launches I use window_set_size(800, 480) to double the size so it's reasonable for playing.

The problem is that the window and splash screen initially displays at 400x240. That's on screen for a couple of seconds, then the window resizes to my preferred 800x480 size. I tried using a custom splash image that's 800x480 thinking that might force the window larger, but nope. If I set the app to launch full screen then the splash screen is full screen as well.

Is there any way to make that splash screen a size other than the set resolution of the game?

Gamerev147

You could make a custom splash screen. Instead of using the built in splash screen, make a sprite that is 800x480.
Then draw the sprite scaled to the current resolution of the game.

I think this will work, but don't take my word for it. Good luck!

C

Cannikin

Hmm, so I did create a splash screen at 800x480 but it didn't make a difference: the window and splash were both launched at 400x240, then the window expands to 800x480 after a couple seconds of the splash. :(

Neptune

If you havn't already, I recommend making a room solely for your splash intro. From there you can set your port dimensions, and show your splash sprite / animation.
Once your splash has concluded, you could move on to an initialization room, where you set up everything -- game dimensions, global variables, enums, save data, etc...
Hope that helps, good luck!

C

Cannikin

Ahh, interesting. I do have a room for my start menu, but hadn't thought of a room just for the splash. So I'd make the splash room 800x480, then my main rooms 400x240 with my window_set_size(800, 480). I wonder if there'll be a flash of the window resizing between the splash and start room...

C

Cannikin

That worked! And no noticeable window size change as it moves between the splash and start room. In the splash room's creation code I have room_goto_next() and everything is great!

Tony Brice

Can you disable the built in splash screen so you use your own then? I'd like to do something with a bit of animation but I thought we were only able to add a static image in the preferences.

C

Cannikin

I haven’t found a way to disable the built-in splash screen. I still have a static image, but it looks like it will launch at whatever resolution your first room is set to. So whatever size you want your splash screen, create a room, make it first in the list, and have it just go to the next room as soon as it launches (in the Room Creation script section).