Launch game (splash screen) at larger resolution? (Solved!)

Cannikin

So I've got the width and height of my game set to 400 x 240. However, once the game launches I use window_set_size(800, 480) to double the size so it's reasonable for playing.

The problem is that the window and splash screen initially displays at 400x240. That's on screen for a couple of seconds, then the window resizes to my preferred 800x480 size. I tried using a custom splash image that's 800x480 thinking that might force the window larger, but nope. If I set the app to launch full screen then the splash screen is full screen as well.

Is there any way to make that splash screen a size other than the set resolution of the game?

Gamerev147

You could make a custom splash screen. Instead of using the built in splash screen, make a sprite that is 800x480.
Then draw the sprite scaled to the current resolution of the game.

I think this will work, but don't take my word for it. Good luck!

Cannikin

Hmm, so I did create a splash screen at 800x480 but it didn't make a difference: the window and splash were both launched at 400x240, then the window expands to 800x480 after a couple seconds of the splash. :(

Neptune

If you havn't already, I recommend making a room solely for your splash intro. From there you can set your port dimensions, and show your splash sprite / animation.
Once your splash has concluded, you could move on to an initialization room, where you set up everything -- game dimensions, global variables, enums, save data, etc...
Hope that helps, good luck!

Cannikin

Ahh, interesting. I do have a room for my start menu, but hadn't thought of a room just for the splash. So I'd make the splash room 800x480, then my main rooms 400x240 with my window_set_size(800, 480). I wonder if there'll be a flash of the window resizing between the splash and start room...

Cannikin

That worked! And no noticeable window size change as it moves between the splash and start room. In the splash room's creation code I have room_goto_next() and everything is great!

Tony Brice

Can you disable the built in splash screen so you use your own then? I'd like to do something with a bit of animation but I thought we were only able to add a static image in the preferences.

Cannikin

I haven’t found a way to disable the built-in splash screen. I still have a static image, but it looks like it will launch at whatever resolution your first room is set to. So whatever size you want your splash screen, create a room, make it first in the list, and have it just go to the next room as soon as it launches (in the Room Creation script section).