OFFICIAL Latest Posts - POLL

Where Should The Latest Posts Section Go?

• Middle - Beneath the Community section, but above GameMaker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SSJCoder

It's not random activity though. It's literally whatever the community is actively talking about.

And Off Topic doesn't show up there. So the true randomness isn't even there.
it's random - from the perspective of the inactive user who barely uses the forums.

but for those of us (like myself) who are more active, it's a reflection of activity.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's not random activity though. It's literally whatever the community is actively talking about.
Not quite that either... It shows the Community forum, the GMC Jam forum. the Programming forum and the GMS Tech support forum and nothing else. I can further filter it to just show Programming, for example, but I think these forums are the ones that most benefit from the section.

SnoutUp

Yes, but I've yet to hear a compelling reason why some random activity should be listed there.
Because it's not random, it's latest activity in the forums where all content is united by a familiar topic. Takes a second to scan to see if there's anything you can reply to and move on to whatever not random category you want to check. It is inviting people to communicate more and outside their familiar boards. I wouldn't be in this thread if not for that activity box. And when it's in the sidebar it's quite "out of focus" and much less inviting. Adding it below the profile posts would be pretty much same as removing completely.

Of course, "Off topic" should be excluded and maybe it should focus on latest threads rather than replies, but these are details to tweak.

Coded Games

Not quite that either... It shows the Community forum, the GMC Jam forum. the Programming forum and the GMS Tech support forum and nothing else. I can further filter it to just show Programming, for example, but I think these forums are the ones that most benefit from the section.
That is interesting. It's a bit more limited than the previous version. I did like seeing things from Work in Progress or Made with GameMaker show up there though

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That is interesting. It's a bit more limited than the previous version. I did like seeing things from Work in Progress or Made with GameMaker show up there though
That can be done too, but I think that's for another topic!!! Let's just find out where to put it first then we'll discuss what people want to actually see there... :)

Z

zendraw

someone gave the idea of a drop down menu, is that possible? i am thinking show only recent topics up front and the other forums to be accesssed thru a drop down menu.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
someone gave the idea of a drop down menu, is that possible? i am thinking show only recent topics up front and the other forums to be accesssed thru a drop down menu.
Anything is possible, but in this case it's HIGHLY improbable that I would do this. Too much would need tinkering with to do it (I've investigated...).

Cpaz

Is it possible to have separate mobile and desktop layouts? Because, personally, I think the recent posts tab works pretty well as is on mobile (again, maybe compact it a little more) but I can see why people would have issues with it on desktop.

I'd personally vouch for @TsukaYuriko's design for desktop. Maybe @Xer0botXer0's variant.

Again, though, I'd like to see it stick around.

kupo15

I like the section, its fun refreshing or coming to the page and seeing what treasures await of topics being discussed to see what's interesting! I'm undecided on where it should be between top or sidebar. Leaning towards sidebar because that's what I'm used to and thought it was out of the way enough. I thought it was more important than seeing a feed of profile posts

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
On the old forums, the position was fine because everything was more compact. Right now I don't see that being an option (visually) without pushing the status posts down. The status posts are important especially as everyone can now share new visual snippets of what they are working on and I value people being able to spotlight that. Basically, if the status posts are pushed down very few people will see them. On the other hand, if you push the recent posts down too much nobody will see it. The recent posts is needed to get questions answered quickly.

All in all, I think it should be on top. Not because I think it's such a fantastic position but because I don't think anything else will be better. Maybe you can still look at somehow visually separating it? Right now it doesn't stand out as a section.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Neck and neck currently between "top" and "sidebar"... if sidebar wins I'll see about putting it on the left and keeping the status updates on the right, with the forums in the middle... I think I've found out how to do that. :)

S

SSJCoder

hey @Nocturne just checking, but you couldn't simply have two pages like:
index.php (default)
indexlatest.php (latest posts on top)
could you?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
hey @Nocturne just checking, but you couldn't simply have two pages like:
index.php (default)
indexlatest.php (latest posts on top)
could you?
As Tsuka mentioned, we have a whole page for new posts, and I don't want to go trying to create new templates for an extra index...

S

SSJCoder

As Tsuka mentioned, we have a whole page for new posts, and I don't want to go trying to create new templates for an extra index...
sure, sounds like you already have a lot on your plate, it's pretty obvious you are already overwhelmed !
anyways, you do whatever it's your call

(in case you are wondering, the reason I ask is because from my perspective - someone unfamiliar with the software you are using, I can't tell if one thing will require a lot of work vs the other, so that's why I am trying to suggest alternatives)

Last edited:
S

SSJCoder

Wow guys, thanks for all the votes! Let's hope Noc. lets us keep the latest posts after all :)
And yea, I still think things need to be fixed for things like mobile tho (and other problems), so, hopefully things will work out in the end !

S

SSJCoder

Lol! Still two days to go! I said a week, so it'll be Wednesday that I close it. :)
thank you, I appreciate all you've done despite all these terrible problems of this (caveman age) software !
(would help you out if I could, but it seems you are on your own on this one xD)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The poll will be getting closed this afternoon, so only a few more hours to go to vote (or change your current vote)!

NightFrost

One could interpret the poll as saying currently over 60% are opposed to leaving the section where it currently is... :p

...but if one wants it to hide completely, there's at least one simple way. Get the Stylus add-on (if not on Firefox, any CSS injector add-on) and add the following CSS to affect forum.yoyogames.com domain:
CSS:
[data-widget-key="forum_overview_new_posts"] {
    display: none!important;
}
(Most commonly I use Stylus to hide cookie naggers, like the one on this forum, since I don't allow cookies to persist between sessions.)

Hyomoto

The latest posts are helpful in giving a screenshot, and honestly it probably encourages more participation in discussions people might not otherwise see. Still, while I think the feature should exist, I also think having it be the first thing people see is probably not best and encourages other behaviors. So, the bottom or another page altogether is where it belongs.

Roderick

Anything is possible, but in this case it's HIGHLY improbable that I would do this. Too much would need tinkering with to do it (I've investigated...).
Not sure if this is exactly what zendraw meant, but I've seen some forums that have a + button beside the various sections, and clicking it collapses/expands the section, similar to a Spoiler tag. If something like that were set up, and it remembered whether it was collapsed or not per user and between sessions, you could easily leave it up top, and anyone who didn't want to see it could just collapse it.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Not sure if this is exactly what zendraw meant, but I've seen some forums that have a + button beside the various sections, and clicking it collapses/expands the section, similar to a Spoiler tag. If something like that were set up, and it remembered whether it was collapsed or not per user and between sessions, you could easily leave it up top, and anyone who didn't want to see it could just collapse it.
I have actually been investigating this and it may very well be do-able... :)

I had originally pit my vote in for "bottom", and while technically it still is what I'd vote, I changed it to "other" and would like to float the idea of wherever the votes fall, maybe allow us an option to toggle the section in our user settings. I rarely use this feature other then to take a quick glance, but I just go to the sections I'm interested in anyway.

... Although, to be fair, without the latest posts section, I wouldn't have seen this poll, so I guess it works! :p

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
just let us drag and drop it on the page where we please and save the location in the various cookies that google likes to munch on
:p (I demand there be a cookie emoji all we got is pickles!)

S

SSJCoder

I hope the +7 on the sidebar (within the last hour or so) all of a sudden are actual voters/people changing their votes, not someone making 7 accounts to rig these polls
(@Nocturne)

Z

zendraw

you can check them out by pressing on that option, it reveals all the people who voted. if they are just registered then they shuld be disregarded as votes and regardeed as fake accounts.

S

SSJCoder

you can check them out by pressing on that option, it reveals all the people who voted. if they are just registered then they shuld be disregarded as votes and regardeed as fake accounts.
yes I see.. they are fake accounts
get on this please @Nocturne

Z

zendraw

infact the last 4 people joined within a 3 min interval betwean each other, all 20+ and voted right after they joined. if that doesnt speak fake i dont know what does.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Four obviously fake users have been banned, and I'm not at all happy that someone went to these lengths. I've also (as a consequence of this) found something strange with a couple of other accounts and will continue to investigate. As for the fake accounts, I have no way to remove their posts from the poll and it looks like the forum software doesn't do it when they are banned so I'll have to just subtract 4 votes (for now) from the tally for the Side Bar option.

Thank you all for pointing out this rather sad, pathetic and immature attempt to sway a vote....

Amon

Thank you for the adjustment @Nocturne. It is pathetic that these, or one individual, have a need to ruin things by creating troll accounts to influence the forum layout. They must be quite sad and lonely.

cgPixel

My post(not my vote) got deleted, so @Nocturne thinks I'm a bot or not?
I've only been registered since Jun 30, 2016, I'd be suspicious of that too.

@topic:
Glad to see my vote made "top" possible :p

Status
Not open for further replies.