• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion last WT thread was deleted, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

I made this one. I will admit my last thread was lazy and not serious. Nocturne was well within his rights to delete it. But I was trying to be lazy on purpose to see if the GMC had a keen and cultured awareness of games. Kind of like an elementary school teacher wanting to see if students can examine studies on their own. It would amaze and surprise me to see people posting in the thread, being on the same page as me and really "getting" what I was saying, without me having to spell it out.

What I was literally trying to say was...that Wild Tangent game...yes...it did have some physics problems with it. Yes the wall collisions seemed to have a restitution higher than one. Yes when landing after a jump the car did seem to stop instantly.... But if they could fix those things I think they'd really have a solid engine in their hands.

What I hoped the GMC would say is that....Yes there is a certain charm to these older games. That Forza just doesn't have. Something about the atmosphere of these older games is just so charming and cute. Back to an older time where you could walk around in the suburbs and enjoy being alive. Breathing in the fresh air without breathing in the pollution. And a certain harmony to it. And somehow that even the physics (if they would fix the oddities I mentioned earlier) do seem a more accurate representation of real life somehow. Just a different day and age where you could go on a drive. And just see the beauty of life. Life was different back then. A different age, a better, cuter, dimension.

Another wild tangent game:

I'd play this over the new Need for speed's any day. Also I'd play the old need for speeds over the new need for speed's anyday. I remember back in the day when actual artists would try to make games as an art form. Now its just putting random assets everywhere with no artistic cohesion. I look at a lot of modern 3d trailers. And all I see is just random assets sputtered about.

Also yes the engine sound of Final Drive is annoying...still not as annoying as the engine sound of Forza... at least it doesn't sound like a washing machine.

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

The caption makes me want to read this even less...

Which reminds me, I spend more time on this forum than I should. I think you may relate. Why not use this same kind of time to program and make games? Are you down for it?

M

Misu

Make a mario kart double dash clone... with 3000 pokemanz. Oh and make into a farming game as well.

M

Misty

The caption makes me want to read this even less...

Which reminds me, I spend more time on this forum than I should. I think you may relate. Why not use this same kind of time to program and make games? Are you down for it?
I do program and make games. I saw an ad spammed by Sam Ovens the other day. I didn't agree with it. He said the key to make 30 million dollars was just to focus. It showed him throwing Fortnight and Twitter into an oven. I didn't agree with it. I'm not really a big Fortnight fan. But just the general idea I didn't agree on. If you want to actually focus what you need is to be taking breaks and leisure and recreation. Scrooge philosophy and working 24/7 is not where its at. Things need to be humanized.

Make a mario kart double dash clone... with 3000 pokemanz. Oh and make into a farming game as well.
3000 pokemanzs is too much work. But I do want to make a double dash clone. Not into farming games though. As a kid I wanted to be a farmer. But as I grew older and more jaded my brain hardened and filled with plaque. Making me bored of those games.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If the last topic was closed what makes you think this one will be any diferent? How many topics do you need to rant in? You have a number of "nostalgia is better, modern stuff is crap" topics already, so there is no need for this one.

But I was trying to be lazy on purpose to see if the GMC had a keen and cultured awareness of games
Who are you to judge the culture of the GMC? We are not your lab rats to "test", and the GMC is not your cultural petri-dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.