Windows Last Colony: Vertical Shooter

R

Ratatosque

A vertical Shooter in the spirit of 1994's

Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Introduction:
The first game i ever got to a playable state. I had a more advanced version of this but stopped working on it years ago. Lately i re-discovered my pre alpha version and was surprised that it worked pretty well as a game. Since i dont have the original project files anymore i decided to call this project finished.

Gameplay and Features:
It is a vertical scrolling shooter in handrawn 2d grafics.
It features:
- 7 levels
- 3 well scaled difficulty levels
- an upgrade and inventory system with a variety of different items and usable skills

- sound effects
- different characters (pilots) to choose from. Some only cosmetic, others with special abilities.

Recommended Settings:

- Just set windows resolution to 800x600 for the time playing (if not it will appear pixelated).

Controls:

-W,A,S,D: movement
-Numlock0: shoot active weapons
-1,2,3,4,5: deactivate, activate weapons
-6,7,8,9,0: use special abilities (called sub systems)
-ESC exit game

Known Bugs:
-Dont press 6,7,8,9 or 0 (sub system) if the respective slot is empty. It will through up an error message which can be ignored though.

Have Fun! And feel free so leave some feedback! ;)

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sfaxsq5m2vq78w/Last_Colony_Pre-Alpha_1.02.exe?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabnock

This looks really nice. i want to do a bullet hell game at some point as well. the download wouldn't work for me and said i was out of memory but i have 16GB so i think i'm good to run this.

watching the video I think the bosses should explode more when they die rather than the level just stopping abruptly and some music would be good. the ship and weapons upgrades look great and i can see you have put a lot of effort into this.

Did you use paths for the aliens that cut across the screen?

Andy

R

Ratatosque

This looks really nice. i want to do a bullet hell game at some point as well. the download wouldn't work for me and said i was out of memory but i have 16GB so i think i'm good to run this.

watching the video I think the bosses should explode more when they die rather than the level just stopping abruptly and some music would be good. the ship and weapons upgrades look great and i can see you have put a lot of effort into this.

Did you use paths for the aliens that cut across the screen?

Andy
Hello Andy. Im happy you liked the game :) . Sometimes i get the out of memory bug aswell. It seems random but a reboot seems to help when it appears. Its unfortunate that you cant try out the game. As for the enemies that cut across the screen: i dont use paths, they seem too rigid for me to work with. I prefer to do all my mechanics in gml. I think the turn just happens with a +45 / -45 value on the direction, depending on which side of the screen they spawn.
Concerning boss explosions or music, that was something i had intended to add later. Most of the time invested went into the item-system, the items itself (weapon mechanics etc.) and actually the drawing was also very time consuming (the buildings especially with their destroyed variants).