• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Large Rooms

V

Vision1776

Im not sure if it is my imagination but My game seems to, every few seconds, get a lag spike that is pretty consistent. I am thinking that it has something to do with the room size but the room is pretty much empty.
I copied over some stuff from the same game I was working on only that I was developing in GMS 1.4

With the new GMS 2.0 This problem seems to be here now. I have tried removing all objects from the game and I still get this issue. The game engine seems to be scanning things every so often at intervals. I will try making the room size much smaller and see if it does anything.

But the point of this thread is to discuss strategies on being able to create a semi large room for RTS type games. Is this even possible in Gamemaker anymore? I have been coding in Gamemaker for over 15 years.
I have heard about deactivating instances, but I dont think that is something I can do because I need those instances outside the view to still collide, and to still interact with things. It's an RTS not an RPG.

My current room relevant properties:
Width: 10240
Height: 20480
Room speed: 60
Views are enabled. I have 1 view
View Width: 1024
View Height: 768

Note, simply doing nothing with no objects or even moving the view, I get these intervals of lag spikes like I said. The game engine seems to be doing something to scan this room but Im not sure what and it does seems like a new thing. I can add 1 thousand new objects with no real difference in the FPS that is why I think it has something to do with the room size and the new engine.

V

Vision1776

I can confirm that my room has only one object which draws my FPS. The room also has no background or anything else. I get the lag spikes where FPS drops from 60 down to 50 at noticeable intervals.

Just by having this large room the game lags. Even though there is only one object.

EDIT: I shrunk the room to size:
1024 wide
2048 High

Game engine still has the lag spike. Now I am confused. o_O

EDIT: It was the Vsync. Turned it off and the lag went away.

Last edited by a moderator: