• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Large Image Resolution Drop

C

Colcoction

I just started a project to make a game that involves moving horizontally through a long hallway. The room (and background image) size is 5120 x 720 pixels, with the view only showing 1280 x 720. I made a quick background to test with, but when I ran the game, the resolution of the background dropped to noticeably lower quality.

What it should look like: what it should.png

What it looks like when running: what it do.png (The red square is just a test object. Notice how it's resolution is perfectly fine.)

I tried making the image a sprite on an object, but that had no effect. I tried using a different background image to see if it was just a problem with the image file, but what I found was that any image worked, as long as it didn't stretch past the view of 1280 x 720. The resolution only dropped when I tried to use a background wider than that.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, or possible solutions?

J

jackhigh24

view and port might need to be same if there not, but i would guess its to do with the size, if you have an image that size then it needs to be on a texture page size bigger than the image.

A

Ariak

This is due to the texture page limit, which by default is 2048x2048. Any picture/background larger than that will be scaled down to fit.

C

Colcoction

Ah, I did not know this. Thank you. Splitting up my background image into four backgrounds makes it work fine.