1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Landslag3D - A Unity like terrain system

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by IGameArt, Apr 22, 2019.

1. IGameArt

IGameArt Member

{ Icelandic - Noun }
    landslag n.
    - countryside​

Landslag3D aims to be the definitive terrain system for GameMaker Studio 2.0 and beyond. I originally began work on this terrain system four years ago and have recently picked up working on it again. I'm aiming to create a terrain system that's so highly optimized that it can be used to display Elder Scrolls sized terrains with minimal impact on your performance.

Here are some early screenshots of the system during it's original development:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now here are some shots of the system in 2019:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still much to be done on the system, I'm only about 20% complete with the quadtree implementations, and I still need to construct the terrain editor app that will accompany the system and make it's use super seamless.

Here are some of the features currently supported by L3D:
    • Patching
    • Patch Lods
    • Normals Baked to texture ( so lower lods don't lose detail )
    • Automatic Frustum Culling ( only draw what the current view matrix can see )
    • Height based terrain collision
    • Multi-texture support with height biased blending
    And here are some of the planned/in devlopment features:
    • Quadtree based optimizations.
    • Patch Instancing
    • Polygonal Terrain Collision
    • Improved generation speed
    • Terrain stitching
    • Foliage instancing
    And here are some of the planned features of the editor:
    • Import heightmap from standard images or floating point TIFF formats
    • Sculpt terrain with textured stamps
    • Erode the terrain either with a brush, or across the whole surface
    • Set up multiple materials and change materials per patch
    • Paint sections of foliage into your terrain.

I'd love to know what you guys think of the project so far, and if you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to share them. The goal for this project is to have something robust and capable of handling pretty much all of your needs pretty much automatically. Easy to use terrain for everyone :)

BlueBurn, Bart, Morendral and 7 others like this.
  2. Amon

Amon Member

That looks cool.

3. IGameArt

IGameArt Member

@Amon Thanks a bunch! If anyone has any ideas for features you'd like to see, let me know!

My goal is to render massive terrains in GM that look like this while still retaining high frame rates:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    sitebender, Amon and Edwin like this.
  4. GregFroning

GregFroning Member

Look forward to this when you have some more of your planned future features in.

5. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

I'm making a 3d game called Moor, which is a dungeon crawler. However I've been thinking if I ever were to make a sequel to the game I'd want it to be a open world rpg. If so, I'd love to use your engine if possible :)

6. IGameArt

IGameArt Member

Thanks for the support guys, been really busy working on my game lately. Before I can get too much farther with this, I'll have to implement my own TGA parser to reduce the stepping artifacts present with standard png heightmaps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2019