Released Lamparina [GGJ 2019]

L

lukbebalduke

LOG_LAM.png
Everything within the range of light, gains life. Everything else, turns to stone.

Lamparina is a top-down puzzle game, where you open magic doors by adjusting the projection of light and solving enigmatic challenges!

Lamparina was created in less than 40 hours, for the Global Game Jam 2019.

And you can play it right here

Let me know what you think about the game. I would love to hear your feedback/questions about the game ;)

NeoShade

This is a cool concept, but it's let down by the fact that you walk quite slowly. I'm not sure if this is by design or if the game's in need of some serious optimisation, but if that were resolved I think it would make a world of difference.

L

lukbebalduke

This is a cool concept, but it's let down by the fact that you walk quite slowly. I'm not sure if this is by design or if the game's in need of some serious optimisation, but if that were resolved I think it would make a world of difference.
Hey, thanks for commenting ;)

About the player running slow: no, that is not a design decision. Is your game running at 60fps? Have you played it with any anti-virus scanner capturing the process? What is your graphics board?

Any info would be super useful ;)

NeoShade

I don't know if the game is running at 60fps, I have no way of checking that. There's nothing scanning the application as it runs.
Admitedly, I am playing on a laptop, running on-board graphics from an i5-7200U. The laptop isn't old though, and is usually able to run most non-3d games fairly well.

Playing it again to test it out, I do notice that sometimes the player walks faster and sometimes slower, so it's obviously a performance issue somewhere along the line. I'm a bit disapointed, because I do really like the concept, but it's tedious to play at this speed, particularly in sections where you need to push boxes around.

L

lukbebalduke

I don't know if the game is running at 60fps, I have no way of checking that. There's nothing scanning the application as it runs.
Admitedly, I am playing on a laptop, running on-board graphics from an i5-7200U. The laptop isn't old though, and is usually able to run most non-3d games fairly well.

Playing it again to test it out, I do notice that sometimes the player walks faster and sometimes slower, so it's obviously a performance issue somewhere along the line. I'm a bit disapointed, because I do really like the concept, but it's tedious to play at this speed, particularly in sections where you need to push boxes around.
The issue is probably related to the fact that you are playing on a laptop. Most of the things in the game heavily rely on shaders, which are processed by the graphics board, in your case, the onboard one.

I know it does not look like, but the game as some serious heavy things running in the GLSL part, like the palette swap and the lighting system.

I am truly sorry for that.

L

lukbebalduke

Hey folks!

Based on the feedback given, I would like to share with you the brand new Patch 1.0b for Lamparina. This patch features two small changes that should truly impact the game performance, and also a quality of life feature. Briefly speaking:
  • The game now runs at a default speed independent of the FPS instability.
  • The game performance should be higher since Vsync comes off by default.
  • Pressing [Shift], [GP Face3] or [MB Right] gives you precision control.
I hope you enjoy the patch, have fun ;)

https://lukbebalduke.itch.io/lamparina

L

Lucia

did you make it using free assets? I already see those sprites...