LabRat: A First Person Maze Game (W.I.P.) (early release 3)

Sedgwick2K

Hello everybody, I'm back after a long hiatus. I had exams lately, so I couldn't give my time to game making.

But now, I'm back, with something REALLY GREAT.

I decided to go three dimensional and I was looking for tutorials on Youtube, then I decided to make a small labyrinth/maze game, which I did back in the days (2018 as I remember correctly). The tutorial was about making a basic 3D first person shooter and consisting three parts. I watched first part (which is about 40 minutes), tried to do the code and everything was ready. That's what I need for bulk of a first person maze game.

The game is just in it's early phases, so it has only three levels, very low graphics and a very basic gameplay. Each level brings a larger and more complicated maze. There are no sound effects yet, but I plan to add a few.

You're a labrat in an alternative universe. You have to solve all the mazes given to you and escape from there.

Screenshot from first level:
labrat_1.png

I might release an early access version before full release (and even update the game later).

Sedgwick2K

UPDATE ENTRY

Completed level five, added fog for long distance. Also, a small texture flaw was fixed.
Here's a summary (from level 5):
labrat_3.png
I set fog to match with background color, since I kept draw distance low (640 pixels) and you can directly see background if the path is long enough (as seen above).

Sedgwick2K

EARLY RELEASE ENTRY

Finally here is the Early Release 1 of LabRat.

Up arrow goes forward and down arrow goes backward. You can look around with mouse.

I'll be happy to get a feedback.

BUG(S)
  • There is a menu built in 2D instead of 3D. When you finish the game and go back to menu, menu turns upside down and background "literally" disappears.

Last edited:

MeBoingus

Some suggestions:

• Change the controls to WASD (No one plays with arrow keys in this day and age).
  • Have the 'left' and 'right' (A and D) keys strafe the player from side to side.
  • Find larger textures to prevent the weird scaling issues with the walls/floor.
  • Disable 3D before returning to the menu. This will prevent it from becoming inverted.
  • Make the menu fullscreen, so that the resolution doesn't keep changing between levels.
  • Add some kind of goal OTHER than the end point. Perhaps you have to collect a few pieces of cheese (LabRat. Get it!?).
  • Music and some basic sound effects will go a long way.
  • Perhaps lower the fog distance. This will add a little more atmosphere.
  • Look into adding some traps, or something of the like? At the moment, there's no risk or reward for playing. You just solve the mazes and it's done.

There's a lot you could do with this :) Right now it seems like a project someone would make if they were starting to learn GMs 3D functionality. Which is fine, but you should try to expand your horizons into adding better features.

Sedgwick2K

Some suggestions:

• Change the controls to WASD (No one plays with arrow keys in this day and age).
  • Have the 'left' and 'right' (A and D) keys strafe the player from side to side.
  • Find larger textures to prevent the weird scaling issues with the walls/floor.
  • Disable 3D before returning to the menu. This will prevent it from becoming inverted.
  • Make the menu fullscreen, so that the resolution doesn't keep changing between levels.
  • Add some kind of goal OTHER than the end point. Perhaps you have to collect a few pieces of cheese (LabRat. Get it!?).
  • Music and some basic sound effects will go a long way.
  • Perhaps lower the fog distance. This will add a little more atmosphere.
  • Look into adding some traps, or something of the like? At the moment, there's no risk or reward for playing. You just solve the mazes and it's done.

There's a lot you could do with this :) Right now it seems like a project someone would make if they were starting to learn GMs 3D functionality. Which is fine, but you should try to expand your horizons into adding better features.
First of all, thanks for suggestions.
  • Sound effects are already included in my plan.
  • That "trap" suggestion reminded me something: Back in the days, while I was experimenting a similar demo, there were some spiders walking on the floor on some levels ๐Ÿ˜„. It's a good idea of reintroducing them, as spiders can eat mice (at least I think so) in real world.
  • I made the fog distance long to make it match with draw distance (I set it at 640 pixels).
  • All textures were drawn by me.
  • I made the menu look like a launcher. I like it better like that, but I'll try disabling 3D.
Other than all, this game still has a long way to go; I even think about post-release updates.

Sedgwick2K

UPDATE ENTRY

I replaced old buggy "launcher" menu with a 3D interactive one, which still consists the player and a very small room to either start or exit (before game actually starts).
I upgraded textures to a higher detail 32x32 ones, all being drawn by me.
I also added a sixth level, which seemed a little bit masterpiece to me :Dlabrat_4a.png
This screenshot is from sixth level, showing improved graphics and a part of a small yet complex maze.
labrat_4.png
This thumbnail is the new menu (black rectangle is a bug, which is gone after completing the game once).

Sedgwick2K

UPDATE REPLY

I made graphics adjustable (with F1 button). Made some little tweaks overall.
Here is the summary of adjustable graphics, comparing low and high graphics (top one is low, bottom one is high). Both screenshots are from level 3.
labrat_5.pnglabrat_5a.png

Sedgwick2K

ITCH.IO

LabRat is about to make into itch.io soon with another early release by 20 June! I might add a link a bit earlier in this thread.

I made lots of demos, even a similar first person maze back in the days (which obviously had much better graphics with using GM8 assets), but it seems like LabRat is going to be my first serious project. Of course, Labrat will be free (forever), this means everybody can play this game in no time. This also means it is time to expand horizons, add some interesting features or something. I'll continue publishing updates, stay tuned!

Sedgwick2K

UPDATE THREAD

Two new levels are added, between existing levels.
WIDESCREEN SUPPORT (16:9 ratio) is introduced, toggled by F2 (has a little bug)
Three different levels of graphics, toggled by F1.
Here is a summary of new widescreen support in high graphics below.

Attachments

Sedgwick2K

EARLY RELEASE ENTRY

Here is the Early Release 2 of LabRat.
Controls: Changed to WASD. Toggle graphics with F1 and widescreen with F2.
The game has an interactive menu (you still play the menu as a player), 8 levels, teleport sound effect, some solved bugs and et cetera.

I'll be happy to get feedback!

BUG(S)

In first and second levels, if you open widescreen and then close, background is still widescreen. It is solved by self after second level, however.

EDIT: Link was locked by default. Fixed now, you can download the game.

Last edited:

Sedgwick2K

AFTER A TEMPORARY HALT

Due to some personal problems, I've had to stop LabRat project for a brief time. Now I'm back after a hiatus, with some small plans for Early Release 3. By the time, I alreadily made a decent progress and there was an almost decent demo.
While improving other aspects little bit, I'll concentrarte on emphasising a concept to the game. I won't keep it too heavy, but a little concept would add the game an atmosphere.
Game itself is in good condition, but a bit blank. It's time to expand its horizon a little bit :)
Stay tuned for further upgrades.

Sedgwick2K

UPDATE THREAD

Right before giving it a break, I've changed color of walls to green, but I've improved their details by pixels.
Today, I've added a 9th level, between former 5 and 6.
Maximum speed is a bit slower, to improve the smoothness of movement.
And there is a major altering into gameplay, I'll keep it secret for now.
Draw distance is improved for all graphic modes.
Screenshot from 4th level in high graphics, widescreen open.

Attachments

Sedgwick2K

PUBLISHED ON ITCH.IO

Labrat Early Release 3 made into itch.io just a few moments before! Now it made into public gaming community!
You can download it from now on, I'll happy to recieve feedbacks from both GMC and itch.io.

The game seems to have no major bugs for now. It has 9 levels, minor graphic improvements, smoother movement and a surprise improvement of gameplay. Have fun!

M. Idrees

The game seems to have no major bugs for now. It has 9 levels, minor graphic improvements, smoother movement and a surprise improvement of gameplay. Have fun!
I played your game and here what I will say,

1) Game has improved Graphics Now.
2) Guide Text Is Now Clear To See.

And Giving Some Suggestions For Your Game.

1) The Movement For Left And Right Is Still Slow. I Don't Know Why I Wait A Little Bit When Moving From Left To Right Or Right To Left After Colliding With Wall ? Maybe Friction Is The Problem.
2) Teleport Sound Should Be Changed To Some Smooth type Sound.
3) I Will Say That Instead Of Increasing Levels You Should Work With Level Details. Like Lightnings, Pictures And Other Objects That Make The Game Play More Enjoyable.

Sedgwick2K

I played your game and here what I will say,

1) Game has improved Graphics Now.
2) Guide Text Is Now Clear To See.

And Giving Some Suggestions For Your Game.

1) The Movement For Left And Right Is Still Slow. I Don't Know Why I Wait A Little Bit When Moving From Left To Right Or Right To Left After Colliding With Wall ? Maybe Friction Is The Problem.
2) Teleport Sound Should Be Changed To Some Smooth type Sound.
3) I Will Say That Instead Of Increasing Levels You Should Work With Level Details. Like Lightnings, Pictures And Other Objects That Make The Game Play More Enjoyable.
Thank you for all feedback. The lightning I've added gave the game a greater atmosphere than before, I like it so much. Though a few small improvements to textures would be better a bit. ๐Ÿ˜„
I took that teleport sound from Game Maker 8, since GMS brings us almost no gift while coming when it comes to assets. I agree that sound is a little bit scary, I'll look upon it.
About level details, I had a few small ideas that came into my mind, but of course I have to be very original at that point. I don't know yet, but I'll try to imply something. And number of levels, I'll stick it at 12 or 13, that will be enough.
Again, thank you๐Ÿ™Œ

M. Idrees

Thank you for all feedback. The lightning I've added gave the game a greater atmosphere than before, I like it so much. Though a few small improvements to textures would be better a bit. ๐Ÿ˜„
I took that teleport sound from Game Maker 8, since GMS brings us almost no gift while coming when it comes to assets. I agree that sound is a little bit scary, I'll look upon it.
About level details, I had a few small ideas that came into my mind, but of course I have to be very original at that point. I don't know yet, but I'll try to imply something. And number of levels, I'll stick it at 12 or 13, that will be enough.
Again, thank you๐Ÿ™Œ
No Problem. You Are Welcome

Sedgwick2K

UPDATE ENTRY

Forgot to update thread name after releasing on itch.io, solved it :D

Gamewise; as my monitor got somehow damaged and I got a new, larger one, I decided to add resolution support of up to 1920x1080 (widescreen: on), so option of resolutions rose up to 5. However, when you do so, game looks too retro๐Ÿ˜
I also seperated resolution and graphic toggling, latter one being done with F3 now.
I added a tenth level to the game, which is the largest maze I've designed so far (960x880) and it is too complex.
I also added spiders to some levels (first in level 4 then level 6 and onwards). Each level means spiders have little bit more complex paths and they go a bit faster. Though I still did not added a "Game over" feature when you touch to spider (or spider touches to you) yet.
Below there is a screenshot from level 10 in full resolution widescreen (1920x1080) and full graphics, containing a spider. I took that asset straight from GM8.0.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sedgwick2K

PLAN OF EARLY RELEASE 4 AND BEYOND
Currently I'm at a point that I can find no notable things to improve aside number of levels. That can be because I have almost no experience in 3D gaming, but anyways I've went from nothing to something.

Anyways, I'll try to improve the game a bit more this week and release the last Early Release next week. My next plan is releasing the full game before July ends, then giving it a little rest and then starting developing expansion/upgrade packs on my own game, for example a level patch. I don't want to give so much hint to be honest because I have a big surprise.