Windows Soaring

asollazzo

Hey guys im currently working on a side project which is a challenging platformer game. Im at the point that i need to start working on proper art but before that i really need to make sure the level basics are nailed down to prevent having to redo art etc. Hopefully the game isnt too early to post here :p

Controls are arrows for movement, Z for flying, X for dash, R is reset in the unlikely event you get stuck somewhere. All movement is intended to be assisted via flying but you can move slowly without. Aim of the game is essentially to go upwards.

If you want to test the game out you can grab it here : https://alexsollazzo.itch.io/soaring-beta-test
Id love any feedback but especially feedback about the difficulty and general movement mechanics :)

Last edited:

asollazzo

So the basics have changed a little, the jetpack ended up a little boring, so it has been replaced by the character being a chicken and flapping about, which i think looks more fun anyways :p Heres a quick video of the basic game movement and temporary level art layouts. The demo in the first post has been updated just incase anyone wants to try it out.

CMAllen

I can see metriodvania potential in it -- starting out with limited jump/flight capabilities, gradually gaining better jump and flight ability. With Feathers! Or it could be about finding hidden temporary power up and where to use them. One that makes you float when you run out of stamina. One that makes you run super fast (to escape foxes, for example).

asollazzo

I can see metriodvania potential in it -- starting out with limited jump/flight capabilities, gradually gaining better jump and flight ability. With Feathers! Or it could be about finding hidden temporary power up and where to use them. One that makes you float when you run out of stamina. One that makes you run super fast (to escape foxes, for example).
Yeah im not 100% sure on the final overall direction of the game yet, sorta torn between a metroidvania type game and a barebones platformer where the only limit is your own skill with the controls. Realistically i should probably go the barebones version just to finish the game in any reasonable amount of time :p

ReidDC

The art is fantastic. One thing that stood out to me is the bird doesnt really match the overall art style. Kinda looks like he came out of a different game or something. Either way Looks really good!

asollazzo

The art is fantastic. One thing that stood out to me is the bird doesnt really match the overall art style. Kinda looks like he came out of a different game or something. Either way Looks really good!
Thanks ! Yeah the bird looks a little out of place atm, hes purposely much simpler than the backgrounds and hopefully once i get more characters in also with that style itll feel a little better.

asollazzo

Demo is pretty much done now, just a little more level art needed, took a short art break and worked on some twitch integration stuff (voting to either increase or decrease game difficulty via some effects/modifiers). One of my fav's is this angry ghost bird that chases you around and sorta makes the game feel abit survival horror'y, atleast audio wise :D

Yrbiax

What a frustrating game, loved it :D
Made it to the end! Almost rage quitted multiple times thought.
soaringEnd.png
Maybe that first forest level could be bit more forgiving. It felt like you were in constant danger of falling all the way back.
I know thats point of the game, but just sightly safer areas after reaching certain point would be nice.

SoaringScreenshot.png
Like reaching this place looked like it would be a safer area, but it wasnt.

asollazzo

What a frustrating game, loved it :D
Made it to the end! Almost rage quitted multiple times thought.
View attachment 43840
Maybe that first forest level could be bit more forgiving. It felt like you were in constant danger of falling all the way back.
I know thats point of the game, but just sightly safer areas after reaching certain point would be nice.

View attachment 43841
Like reaching this place looked like it would be a safer area, but it wasnt.
Wow i think youre like the second person to actually make it to the end, congrats :D Im hesitant to make any changes to make the game safer in general, that said once i finish up the demo there will be 2 modes, normal and assisted, assisted will essentially checkpoint you each room for an overall safer feel.

I sorta want the game to switch between semi relaxed periods, and then hand sweating dont fall periods :p

The main reason i wanted the game to start quite hard is to make sure players will understand what type of game this is, if its not for them they will find out quickly and be able to refund the game via steam, probably not the best idea business wise but it feels like the right thing to do.

Oh and thanks for giving it a try :)

Last edited:

asollazzo

Finally put off what i was dreading for some reason and added a menu to the game to let you control keybinds, volume, gfx options and all that jazz. Can also control the twitch integration i recently added, though i think that still needs a little more testing to iron out the kinks :p

asollazzo

Updated the itchio demo with all the new menu and twitch integration etc, likely have one more revision or 2 left until i can release the finished demo on steam :eek:

asollazzo

Just realised i never got around to updating this thread ! Lotta changes happened but i did end up getting the demo fully finished, planning to put it on steam for the upcoming steam next fest ! Also made up a short teaser trailer a while back, though i should probably make a longer trailer too
For now the demo is still avaliable over on itch if anyone wants to through me some feedback :) https://alexsollazzo.itch.io/soaring-beta-test