Released King of the Streets, 2d Fighting game

Field Magic

KING OF THE STREETS '18
KING OF THE STREETS WEBSITE : http://kos2.weebly.com

King of the Streets '18 is the spiritual successor to King of the Streets which I released almost 7 years ago. Inspired by Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter and a homeage to classic 2d Fighters, King of the Streets brings elements of all these and tries to make a fun, nostalgic experience. Characters again will be based off real world people, friends and families alter egos brought to life to compete in the ultimate tournament to the death.

I'm finally at a point where I'm comfortable letting people play it to see what they think.

GAME FEATURES
  • 12 Fighters including some classic and some new. Each fighter has special moves, rage moves, overkills and a reason to fight in a tournament to the death.
  • A fast, bloody and fun fighting experience.
  • Pre-rendered 3d art style to give it that nostalgic "MK / Killer Instinct" look and feel. All characters likenesses are based of friends and family.
  • Animated interactive stages based on real places found around Auckland / New Zealand.
  • Music composed by the Original King of the Streets composer, Jordan "Tru7hy" Koziol-Repia.

DEMO

This is a sample of what you can expect from the new King of the Streets. Its still a work in progress so there is still a lot to do, but the core engine is pretty much complete. This demo contains:
  • Sweeney and B-Pac are completely playable. All special moves, rage moves and 3 overkills (more will get added later).
  • A Training stage and a basic Leabank park (Missing the crowd and ambient animations).
  • Versus mode (1p vs 2p, 1p vs cpu, cpu vs cpu).
  • You can also change some of the settings in options (Controls, sound volume, resolution size etc).
  • Voices are taken from Street Fighter for the time being, these will be replaced eventually. I needed something to work with in order to set up all the options and variables.
Default keys for the menus are
X - Confirm
S - Cancel / Go Back
Move Cursor - Arrow Keys
I recommend you change the keys for both Player 1 and Player 2 in the options before starting a game.

DEMO BUILD 1.0.0 : Windows version
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wu0msteemmkm8k7/KOTS18demo_win.zip

DEMO BUILD 1.0.0 : MAC version
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zot731bc0xxia0t/KOTSDemo_osx.zip
NOTE: If you get the "Unable to find game" error, run the game from your desktop. It seems common within the forum and still can't figure out a fix.

Because I forgot to add the movelists to each zip I have uploaded here for you to view.
http://kos2.weebly.com/uploads/7/6/4/9/7649729/kotsdemo_movelists.zip

HOW TO PLAY

I'm not going to go into how to play a fighting game but go through some of the mechanics found in King of Streets.
  • DASHES - Tapping Forward, Forward or Back, Back initiates a dash forward or dash back. This helps you move in quickly or get out quickly
  • BLOCKING - You can block attack by holding Back. This can be done in crouching state or jumping state to. Grapples beat block.
  • TARGET COMBOS AND ATTACK CANCELS - In King of the Streets Special moves and Rage moves can cancel attacks. You can also cancel lower attacks with higher attacks to perform simple but devastating combos. Tapping a Low attack twice, will perform a Medium attack. A Medium attack can then be followed by a High attack if it connected.
  • RAGE MOVES - Each fighter has 2 RAGE moves which can be performed when your RAGE bar is full. Your RAGE bar will catch on fire when it is full. Your RAGE bar can be filled by doing damage or taking damage.
  • OVERKILLS - Each fighter has a way of adding injury to insult at the end of each fight by performing an Overkill. Overkills can be as little as a Leg break to being set on fire. As of DEMO 1.0.0, each fighter has 3 unique Overkills to discover.

I'm very interested in hearing your feedback!

R

Redesordem

Hey! I've been following your project for years by now, I still have the first one to play on my PC!
When you uploaded your demo I got it right away and I've been playing since then!
So, the intro and layouts from Mainmenu, character selection, loading screens and even after the fights are just amazing! The combos seems quite solid (lp,lp, hp which can be mixed with some skills) and I really like what you did at the end of the fight with that x-ray effect! So I have to tell you that I had lots of fun playing your game all night haha!

At moment, there are some bugs on some transitions, if you keep up + front pressed before the match starts, your character won't start jumping at the enemy, if you keep up + back pressed and the enemy attacks before you jump (forcing you into blocking stance), you will have to release "up" and press it again or you won't jump back. Block also cancels back dash and some other movements.
And about the characters, in design all of they are looking really cool! About their movelist (from the pictures), it seems that some moves are inverted, or they have the second player in mind (Ex:. Calf Slicer listed as Down, DownForward, Forward punch insteadof back), but well, this stuff is easy to correct!
About balance, Sweeney's Calf Slicer is currently a super fast, mid range, hardtoblock, unpunishiable when used at midfield at close range and easily abusable if you use it on against B-Pac.
And about B-Pac, I am not sure if it's working as intended, but his grabs are also forcing the opponent to go into blockstance and also, unlike Zangief and other grab characters, his grabs and rage grab attack can be easily countered by any other attack, so if he faces an offensive opponent, his grabs will always lose when crossed against other attacks, amounting that with the fact that Sweeney has 2 unpunishiable movements, B-Pac will suffer alot.

Still, I'm really enjoing playing your game, thanks for the demo! I've been waiting for it for so long! I'm looking forward to check Sikeone and Missi, they are looking so sick in this version! Thanks man!
Oh and I am Renato, I'm also a developer working on another fighting game(but 3d, 8 ways walk) called Bloody Justice. It'll be announced only at BGS in a few months, but I could definetelly release a footage for you in case you want to check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Field Magic

Thank you for the support, the demo really is for you and everyone else who has supported the project for all these years and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
The "X-Ray" attacks was something Ive had in every version since the first lol I just like the idea of rewarding you for winning, it doesn't matter if you fail to do the overkill.. you're still doing some major damage haha

"if you keep up + front pressed before the match starts, your character won't start jumping at the enemy, if you keep up + back pressed and the enemy attacks before you jump (forcing you into blocking stance), you will have to release "up" and press it again or you won't jump back."
Hmm I've never noticed that before, I think I know why too so I'm hoping this is a quick fix.

"Block also cancels back dash and some other movements."
This one I've known about and just thought no one would notice haha I'll have to fix this one asap, it does get very annoying.

"Sweeney's Calf Slicer is currently a super fast, mid range, hardtoblock, unpunishiable when used at midfield at close range and easily abusable if you use it on against B-Pac."
Yeah Ive been racking my head over the balance issues and is another reason why I needed to get it out in to other peoples hands. I think making it a standard attack rather than a low attack will make it a lot easier to block (Currently the only way to block it, is to block low)

B-Pacs grapples causing a block is def a bug, I'm surprised I never picked that up. This is a quick fix.
B-Pac in general was a character I had this vision for and I wasn't sure if he was going to be super OP or absolute crap. When I was play testing him, I felt he was so over powered especially when he got in close. His Rage grapple I purposely made hard to get because he can also grapple airborne opponents (And it does so much damage). You're def right and I'll have a look and see what I can do about it.

I'm working on Sikeone now, he's going to be very similar to the version I did in the last version (KOTS'14) and because he has a projectile I need to get him done early. Because projectiles are going to add more problems to the balancing haha

Man your feedback is so valuable I appreciate it. Id love to see what you have done.

Field Magic

Thanks to all who have played the demo, I had over 6000 downloads in the first day!
I figured Id use this forum post almost like a dev log and update it when I have something interesting enough to show.

18/3/18 Update:

I've begun adding the 3rd fighter SIKEONE. He's changed a lot since the first game but the attitude remains in tact haha. All his basics and standing attacks are complete. He will be quite well rounded and bit of a rush down fighter.

Here are some animations. (The motion blurs get removed when making these gifs, so some might look weird)

I've also finished designing / rigging another character. King of the Streets will follow the old Tekken games where fighters will get unlocked as you complete Story / Arcade mode. His name is the Reaper and his fighting style is Karate. For more information on him visit the website.
http://kos2.weebly.com/king-of-the-streets-18.html

Are you doing the modeling and animation yourself? If so, that's some really impressive stuff. A lot of work, too.

The game looks...incredibly, aggressively 90s. I 💩💩💩💩ing love it, and wish you all the best on this project. =D

Field Magic

Yeah I'm doing everything except the stage music (The guy who Truthy is designed on, is doing that). Its definitely a labour of love lol
The game looks...incredibly, aggressively 90s.
Its a relief to hear that comes across haha Its all about nostalgia. If I can bring those feelings out some how I've succeeded.

3d animation is so much easier than pixel art. So I don't think its nearly as impressive as some of the stuff you're doing with your sprite and animations. Awesome stuff!

Yeah I'm doing everything except the stage music (The guy who Truthy is designed on, is doing that). Its definitely a labour of love lol
That's a crazy amount of work, hahah! Good on you!
Its a relief to hear that comes across haha Its all about nostalgia. If I can bring those feelings out some how I've succeeded.
The 90's were the pinnacle of human civilization. I'll take any 90's nostalgia I can get, heheh! =D
3d animation is so much easier than pixel art. So I don't think its nearly as impressive as some of the stuff you're doing with your sprite and animations. Awesome stuff!
The computer takes care of the perspective and in-betweens for you, it's true. You still need good keyframes, though, and modeling, rigging, texturing, and all of that other crap is nothing to sneeze at. I think 3D modeling is up there with sculpting for the amount of skill it takes. I've done 3D stuff on and off throughout my life. It's not easy at all, and I think the public definitely underestimates the work that goes into it. Your game is super impressive!

Thanks for the kind words about my game, too. Sometime I impress myself, but pixel art lets you get away with lacking a lot of art knowledge. I have a lot traditional art practice ahead of me to get my game looking the way I actually want it to. 3D modeling takes a lot more knowledge of anatomy than pixel art does! =)

Field Magic

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been doing a lot of traveling for work so haven't had much time to update here.

Still making progress on SIKEONE who is a rush down / mix up fighter. Most of his standard animations are down and coded, he just needs his rage moves and overkills and he'll be done.

Here is some footage of me play testing what I have done so far of SIKEONE.

I've also finished the design of the original King of the Streets boss character VICTOR.

I post to the Facebook page regularly so if you want up to date information like the page found on the website.

Field Magic

Sikeone is complete! which means I have completed 3 characters.

I've started animating and coding Missi who will undoubtedly break up the sausage fest at the moment. Here is some footage of her Basic standing attacks.

I've also finished the model and rigged NIFO who is the "Big" guy of King of the Streets.

More notes:
  • Several secondary characters have been modelled and rigged including some of the crowd for the Leabank Park stage (each with profiles and personalities)
  • The pause menu is fully implemented now and you can now pause a fight and quit to the menu.
  • Blocking has been completely redone. It doesn't restrict you now when trying to move back or dash.

Field Magic

Thanks, I had it after every attack animation.. but it got overbearing haha

Here are some new screenshots of Missi in action and some WIP shots of her stage. All stages are actual places in New Zealand, Missis stage is the Hamilton Gardens. She's going to be very fast and mobile. She'll have a wall jump and have a lot of options to get out of danger.

Field Magic

Very realistic models!
Thank you. I've gone for likeness first and foremost, all the characters are based off friends and family. Then I've taken liberties on the proportions haha Big hands and feet to exaggerate it a little bit, so it was never going to be photo realistic.

Field Magic

I've made good progress since the last update. Missi is now complete! Meaning I have completed 4 characters! I also finished Sweeney's stage "The Crossing" based off the Eden Terrace Train crossing in Auckland, NZ. I have to have a train stage in there somewhere.. can't have stage deaths without a fighter getting hit with a train lol

I've started work on the boxer of the KING OF THE STREETS.... Truthy. Rather than a power boxer he'll be more speed/ technique based.

Field Magic

I've been slowly working on a lot of behind the scenes stuff that I want to get out of the way before moving on to the rest of the cast. The pause menu is all set up now, including being able to change the settings and view move lists. This also means all the settings are now "connected" and everything can be changed in the options and its all working finally. I've also polished up the camera and presentation in some areas.

Fighter wise I've been working on Truthy the former boxing champion. Here is a quick clip of his counter attacks.
I forgot to take this into consideration when planning my collisions so have to do some re-working to get it to work. Ive managed to implement at the moment cleanly lol But need to test it against the other characters to make sure I haven't broken anything or oversights (Like being able counter projectiles haha)

I've also designed and modelled another fighter.

YOON HO will use a combination of Taekwando and poison projectiles to help wear down opponents.

Field Magic

Coming up to the Christmas holidays I managed to finish another fighter which puts the tally up to 5. Truthy the former light heavyweight champion is now fully playable and feels great.

As always the voice audio is all place holder for now and all the 'actors' the fighters are based off will do the voices to add that extra touch.

I need to step back from coding anymore characters for the time being and finish off some of the little stuff thats been bugging me for a while now. I also want to finish modelling and rigging the last remaining fighters and characters.

Field Magic

Quick update!

I finally found a way to add colour variations to the fighters. It was an after thought when I set it all up and almost bit me in the arse, however using a shader from GMLscripts.com i am able to select colours and swap them out. Its a small thing that helps so much haha

Lots of little updates here and there too. I have 5 complete fighters and have stopped to go back and clean up the engine and tweak it to make it that much better.
- Air combos and juggles are a lot easier to perform
- I've finally taken the time to replace all of the sound effects with custom ones. In the process I've set up the "terrain" system, so jump lands and knockdown sounds change depending on the terrain. Adds a bit of life i think. During close ups, there are footstep sounds too (Learning lessons from the first game, i havent added footstep sounds to every animation haha).
- Re-done all the "XRay" finishers so they look far more interesting and more brutal.
- Stage deaths have been set up and 1 has been implemented! Certain stages have different requirements and "activators".
- Added new transition animations to the fighters again to give them a bit of life and character.

Field Magic

its called shColorReplaceBlend I couldn't find it on the website but was able to google it for multiple links and discussions about it. Apparently, there is a version that allows you to change multiple colours on a sprite but I couldn't find it and my knowledge of shaders is too limited to figure how to modify it haha

Its got some limitations but worked perfectly for what I needed it for. Definitely recommend it.

Field Magic

Keep forgetting to try thisn looks so good, dude.
Cool to see a Kiwi game too.
Thanks bro, i forget to update the thread too haha The first demo is still available for download, its very early but still very playable.. I'm keen to hear your throughts.

The game finally has game pad support! It's been set up so you can easily swap out between keyboard or controller.. All I have to do is allow you to choose what connected controller you want to use.

Field Magic

Some new screens with progress of Saint, Reaper, Nifo and some new stages.
- Saint is finished!
I managed to finish the first 6 fighters and have begun work on the unlockable fighters which gives me great confidence in finishing the game, but because I have a terrible case of feature creep the goal posts seem to move further and further away,

- Reaper has all basic attacks, collisions and most specials and RAGE moves.
- Nifo only has a few basic animations.

I've added stage overkills (stage deaths) which are activated by doing certain attacks with the fighters on different stages.

Last edited:

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Looks like I need to bust out a joystick! Lol. It really captures that hot-blooded, angry nineties feel, which has been mostly lost now that fighting game characters are all intellectual pretty-boys and school girls. Lol. Man, I know how time-consuming fighting games can be to make. (Not that I've made any, but darn if I haven't been trying.)

Field Magic

Looks like I need to bust out a joystick! Lol. It really captures that hot-blooded, angry nineties feel, which has been mostly lost now that fighting game characters are all intellectual pretty-boys and school girls. Lol. Man, I know how time-consuming fighting games can be to make. (Not that I've made any, but darn if I haven't been trying.)
Thanks a lot, thats exactly the feeling im trying to capture haha Well the big benefit of pre-rendered CGI for me is the quick turnaround on animations and characters.. I know everyone else who is making fighting games on here are going traditional which must take even longer (And ive been chipping away at this for a couple years now). The animations are prob the main reason people avoid doing them haha

R

Rukiri

I play Fighting Games...a lot, I didn't see any way with the current cast for Fuzzies, Oki is hit or miss, the combo system isn't there at least to me anyway.. I don't see a path for TOD combos.
But nice start tho.

Field Magic

I play Fighting Games...a lot, I didn't see any way with the current cast for Fuzzies, Oki is hit or miss, the combo system isn't there at least to me anyway.. I don't see a path for TOD combos.
But nice start tho.
Thanks for giving it ago and for the feedback! Because the demo is about a year old, most players had the same issues as you and have been improved upon since i put this out. My knowledge of fighting games is "good" but i'm not THAT knowledgable as yourself and many who have played it.

- Honestly i had to google what Fuzzies meant haha I've completely rehauled how block was implemented and now you can't "bait" the block animation like you could before but i don't think fuzzies is possible with the new implementation either.
- Oki was something I worked on a lot after and there are far more options now. It's actually possible to hit grounded opponents in some cases as well as going straight from knockout to crouch etc.
- The combo system has been expanded and its easier to juggle and "air combo" now. It does make it far more enjoyable than what was in the demo and a little more accessible. I'm not sure if it'll tickle your fancy, but its better.

When I eventually get to my next 'beta' build, i would love it if you could have a go again and see what you think. If i can get it to a point where casuals enjoy it and experienced fighting game players enjoy it... ill be happy.

R

Rukiri

Nope blocking needs to be simple otherwise it's faux blocking.
Low hits = block low
Overheads = stand block

MK 1 is Klassic MK but there is a TOD combo for Sub Zero, you just freeze your enemy and walk him to the corner and just uppercut him until dead.
Granted this is due to a bug NOT by intention.

A combo system that is designed for TOD in mind but difficult to do is really difficult which is why you rarely see TOD combos at Combo Breaker, Evo, etc.
You DO see them, but the setup for them is diff but when you got it you go for it! TOD is really just for hype, it's not practical. In Team Based games some players allow their opponent to do a TOD in exchange for a TOD of their character so it's an even trade again it's for a good show.

Field Magic

Nope blocking needs to be simple otherwise it's faux blocking.
Low hits = block low
Overheads = stand block

MK 1 is Klassic MK but there is a TOD combo for Sub Zero, you just freeze your enemy and walk him to the corner and just uppercut him until dead.
Granted this is due to a bug NOT by intention.

A combo system that is designed for TOD in mind but difficult to do is really difficult which is why you rarely see TOD combos at Combo Breaker, Evo, etc.
You DO see them, but the setup for them is diff but when you got it you go for it! TOD is really just for hype, it's not practical. In Team Based games some players allow their opponent to do a TOD in exchange for a TOD of their character so it's an even trade again it's for a good show.
At the moment (current build not demo), with the added ease of juggles there are a few TOD combos haha They're pretty hard to do as the timing needs to be pretty tight, but its possible.. By the time i release the beta, they should be removed though.

This looks amazing, will download and try this now
Thanks bro.

Progress update
I've managed to finish REAPER, which takes the tally to 7 complete fighters.. I'm also about 75% through the big samoan NIFO. Nifo towers over everyone else and his sprite is twice the size lol
I'm on a bit of a roll with the characte animation, i'm prob going to go back on what i said earlier and try to code / animate all the characters then do everything else. It makes me feel like im getting closer everytime i code fighters hahaha

pixeltroid

Your game looks FANTASTIC. What else can I say!

What are you using to create the graphics??? Are you working on it all by yourself??

All characters likenesses are based of friends and family.
Haha! Thats excellent! Did you create a fighter based on yourself? :)

Field Magic

Your game looks FANTASTIC. What else can I say!

What are you using to create the graphics??? Are you working on it all by yourself??

Haha! Thats excellent! Did you create a fighter based on yourself? :)
Thank you! I use a combination of maya and mudbox to create and rig the models. Sculpt and texture in mudbox then re-topolgise, rig and animate in maya. I have a base model that i use to start all the models which saves alot of time.
Yeah i do it all by myself lol Everyone who lent their likeness will eventually do the voices (hopefully) so it becomes them through and through. All the music also comes from friends and family, so people chip in where they can.

Of course! my ego couldnt take not being in the game haha I'm B-pac.

pixeltroid

Super!

I forgot to ask: How did you animate the players to do the martial arts moves? Was motion capture used? If so did you work with a martial artist?

Field Magic

Super!

I forgot to ask: How did you animate the players to do the martial arts moves? Was motion capture used? If so did you work with a martial artist?
Its all hand animated in Maya. When i design the character i have a good idea on their personality and fighting style and just try to reflect that. I also used lots of reference, including existing fighting game characters and movie characters. For Saint for example i reference alot of Ting from Ong Bak, B-Pac references japanese and america pro wrestlers. Its the fun part of this whole process.

Q

Qbanyto

Beautiful work I was working on a fighting game back in the gamemaker4 days (2002?). This is nice. Great job! How did u animate the foam on the waves in the beach stage?

Field Magic

Thank you! I made the first game King of the Streets in gamemaker 6 I think lol long time ago now. I essentially took a few snippets of wave footage, looped them in after effects and compososited them together... If you look close enough you can see where I just mirrored the waves. The wave animation just fades out and I scale it down to fake the fact its receding.

Field Magic

Happy 2020.

Entering 2020, I wanted to have all fighters animated and coded! I missed it by a few days but got there in the end. I've finally finished all the selectable fighters in the game and am now focusing on bug fixing, balancing, optimisation and the presentation stuff (cutscenes, bonus stages etc etc).

I've finally got fully customisable gamepad support to. You can switch between keyboard and gamepad on the fly, play gamepad v keyboard, keyboard v keyboard or gamepad vs gamepad.

If you want to assign a specific controller to a specific player you can do so in the options menu for that players game pad settings.

I've also fully implemented a simple cutscene system for during certain fights in Arcade Mode to give some life and story to each fighter.

Lots of work to do before April 4th, but getting there!

Field Magic

All the fighter voices are done as of last night, its just the narrator left lol New Zealand is in complete lockdown for the next 4 weeks at least so everyone had time to pump them out haha

Field Magic

After 2 or so years, I've finally released version 1.0.0 to steam for both windows and OSX. Thanks to all who have contributed, commented or even played the demo. Here are the links if you're interested in playing the game on steam (windows and osx versions available). Still got some controller issues to fix that are happening on some computers, but the games getting great reviews and positive feedback.

Ngā mihi,
B

Trailer
KING OF THE STREETS '20 - Launch Trailer
Steam Link
KING OF THE STREETS '20 - Steam page
Website
KING OF THE STREETS '20 - Homepage

I've posted a thread in the completed section (pending review)