Released King of the Craze - Released on Itch.io!

Gamerev147

KING OF THE CRAZE
I know many of you have already seen my game, but I've updated the thread. I completely restyled my website and this thread to make it easier to understand and how off the latest updates. This will be the last major update I will be showing. I'm looking for honest, complete feedback for this final update. Before I get started on details, take a look at the latest trailer:

Pretty cool huh? I've spent the past 8 months developing this game. I've put aching fingers, sweat, time, and my tears into this project. King of the Craze is a 3D top down shooter with an interesting goal. The goal of the game is to win in each game mode. Your statistics on how well you do, are uploaded to an online high score table. Fight with friends and others to become the best!

Download the game on Itch.io:
Download Here
Thank you all so much! :)

Monthly leagues will be hosted on separate score boards for skilled players. Players will play a total of 6 matches. Matches are as follows: 1 FFA match, 2 FFA_CTF matches, 2 FFA_BPC matches, and 1 King of the Hill match. Any player who dies within the first 3 matches will be removed from the league. The last players remaining fight to get the highest score. The player with the highest score is the winner and will receive a special prize in-game.

Don't want to participate in leagues? That's fine! You can simply have fun blowing enemie's brains out and watching their blood spew all over the ground! Here are a few screen shots to give you an idea on what it's like:

There are also many videos showing off features of King of the Craze:

Last edited:

Geoff Jones

Looks like a fun game I would play. But there are a lot of these types of games out there, so it will be hard to stand out from the crowd. The player sprite and animation are really cool, which makes it a shame that things are so dark. Overall looks good!

PS- did you get System of a Down's permission to use the music ;)

Gamerev147

Looks like a fun game I would play. But there are a lot of these types of games out there, so it will be hard to stand out from the crowd. The player sprite and animation are really cool, which makes it a shame that things are so dark. Overall looks good!

PS- did you get System of a Down's permission to use the music ;)
Hopefully soon I can get a day / night cycle working.

How do I get permission? I didn't think it would be that big of an issue yet.... But if you could send a link on how to get permission that would be great! Thanks for the feedback! :)

Gamerev147

Game Update / Thread Bump
  • Fixed reloading icon (error)
  • Completed King of the Hill mode
  • Fixed all HUD issues not corresponding with the given resolution
All feedback is appreciated. The public release is coming soon! :)

Gamerev147

I was going to PM you for a test but if the public release is coming then I can wait. This looks fun and engaging
Awesome! I'm glad to here that you want to play it!
There are still a few bugs with the instant bullets and collisions when the player dies (errors and such) - I've been out to find a solution to these for about two months so far, to no avail. So hopefully I can find them before the release (Monday?). If I can't find them, then you may get a few errors when playing. However, they don't take away from the playing experience a ton.

Stay tuned! :)

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Hey! I remember this wow I was asking myself when you'd release it (it's been some time eh?) Well wow looks so much better from the ultra early ye showed me XD, and anyway, keep doing the hard work as it will pay off! good work :)

Gamerev147

The download is now available! Be sure to leave simple, constructive feedback.

If you get an error as soon as you launch the game, just restart it. I'm still trying to fix the errors that slip through.

Ladi_Pix3l

Alrighty sir. here's my 2 cents
  • Great graphics
  • Solid AIs (for the most part)
  • Movement feels good.
  • Music and sound fit the bill

• I think there should be some sort of indicator letting you know when reloading is happening. Same goes for the low or no ammo. The clicking sound was fine but it another little notification might be useful (probably just me though)
  • When selecting a mode. the screen was kind of darkened in way. Like the game was wearing sunglasses.
NO crashes or any other bugs so 4/5 stars there Mr ;)

sylvain_l

^^ I remember it, I played it some time ago; fps was droping down and the aim cross was double and the good one was sometime hidden under the walls.

good to see all those issues got resolved (at least that what my monitor displayed : a solid 144 fps :) )

Also is that normal that at first run it took at least 2 min to launch and then start with dialog boxes to ask width and height of display ? (you should be able to get that with display_get_* functions)

personnal tastes:
  • can I keep my active weapon when I respawn (could be an option for player to choose reset/kept active weapon on respawn)? (Yes I know I should use my eyes and see that it changed/or use my brain... but my brain is always a bit lazzy after it took a bullet :D )
  • inputs customisation would be nice.
  • for me too the mode select screen was strangelly dark (like the nighty shader or whatever you use was also applied on the menu ?!?. Would be nice if it was as light as the main menu.)

about the AI,
a bit aggressive (I should learn to use more the flashbang and grenade :p). And serioussly the kinda oneshot from outside the view, gosh it's hurt. Ok not fair but that's fine I'll have my revenge :mad: .
But what really annoy me sometimes - that looks dull - when they endlessly shoot the wall :bash: in your back while there is really no way to go directly to them. (AIs should know the map enough to avoid that^^ )

Gamerev147

I think there should be some sort of indicator letting you know when reloading is happening. Same goes for the low or no ammo. The clicking sound was fine but it another little notification might be useful (probably just me though)
Yes... you see I had a reloading icon that used to display when reloading, however if you were reloading when you died, it gave an error. I removed it so you wouldn't get as many errors when playing :) So in the next update it will come back, hopefully better than before!

for me too the mode select screen was strangelly dark (like the nighty shader or whatever you use was also applied on the menu ?!?. Would be nice if it was as light as the main menu.)
The way my real-time lighting engine works is it has to be initialized before it is used. So that room (at the moment) is the best place to put it. I've been searching endlessly for a solution to this. I'm determined to find one though! :mad:

when they endlessly shoot the wall :bash: in your back while there is really no way to go directly to them
I'm not sure what you mean by this... o_O I know in the capture the flag mode the enemies shoot at the walls for some reason XD
I'll look into it.

Thank you so much! Be sure to tell friends to give some feedback! :) An update will come within the next week.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Hey man! I got this problem, I think I was gonna throw a nade and I died

Code:
of Alarm Event for alarm 0
for object obj_Grenade:

Unable to find any instance for object index '13' name 'obj_Camera'
at gml_Object_obj_Grenade_Alarm_0
############################################################################################
Anyway, good work! The AI is very good and the graphics are so much better! also the 3D thing is a very good addition too :) I'm looking forward to the change weaps, and editor thingy! Good Game! In my score system, I give it a 9/13 - Awesome!

D

DezzertPhoenix

Awesome game! The increase of difficulty makes it highly replayable and engaging even without new elements added over time. The bleeding mechanic made me panic sometimes (in a good way).
I spent a lot of time playing it, and that doesn't happen very often. Congratulations!

C

Chocky

I kept getting killed from people off screen and it seemed unfair. The visuals looks nice. I don't like how there's a delay in the rotation.

Gamerev147

I kept getting killed from people off screen and it seemed unfair. The visuals looks nice. I don't like how there's a delay in the rotation.
The rotation in the player adds challenge to the game by not letting you snap to an enemy to kill them.

There is a slight gap between the view and the enemies view distance. The shotgunners cannot shoot you from outside the view. The pistol and rifleman can, however.
It all just adds some challenge to the game.

I will see what I can do to adjust them though. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Gamerev147

Hey everyone! I've been changing some things in the game that I think many of you will like.
I've compiled a list of a few changes that have been made:

> Added new "Reloading" text
> Fixed enemies shooting at walls in FFA CTF
> Enemies can now completely win in FFA CTF
> Added enemy tags (easy and hard) to help see enemies easier
> Changed rifle sound effect
> Changed the menus for better performance (font and buttons look different)
> Bug fixes and performance changes

The update for this will be released sometime this coming week. Stay tuned! :)

W

weiner

I should more read. I thought new version is out. Very nice game. Graphic is nice, AI is good and game is little bit hard. But game is very dark I think.
I do not know how will Reloading text will look, but I would change it to loading circle or something like this.
FFA should be FFA and not Me against others :D
I can move through enemies. It would be maybe better to not.
When I press ESC, it turns off game. I wanted go to menu.
I would like choosing gun on numbers and I do not mean NumLock, so I hope there will be chance to change it.
I can not leave game when I am dead and must wait 25 second, but I think it less than it showing. Did not count.
Enemy see behind, but I can too. Is there some distance for them like for me?

Gamerev147

I should more read. I thought new version is out. Very nice game. Graphic is nice, AI is good and game is little bit hard. But game is very dark I think.
I do not know how will Reloading text will look, but I would change it to loading circle or something like this.
FFA should be FFA and not Me against others :D
I can move through enemies. It would be maybe better to not.
When I press ESC, it turns off game. I wanted go to menu.
I would like choosing gun on numbers and I do not mean NumLock, so I hope there will be chance to change it.
I can not leave game when I am dead and must wait 25 second, but I think it less than it showing. Did not count.
Enemy see behind, but I can too. Is there some distance for them like for me?
The reloading text will look better than a reloading circle.
While on the subject of guns, there are alternative controls for switching weapons: Z, X, C

If FFA was truly FFA, then there would be no enemies for you to kill!
The ESC is only for debugging purposes, use "M" to access the menu. This will change when I get closer to the release.
Same goes for respawn screen, the menu will be accessible soon.

Thanks for the feedback! Stay tuned for the update! ;)

Gamerev147

Here's the new update:

And here are the update changes and additions:

> Added new "Reloading" text
> Fixed enemies shooting at walls in FFA CTF
> Enemies can now completely win in FFA CTF
> Added enemy tags (easy and hard) to help see enemies easier
> Changed rifle sound effect
> Changed cursor to show accuracy correctly
> Changed the menus for better performance
> Added kill feed with phrases
> Fixed darkened "Select Mode" screen
> Fixed error when sniping and dying
> Changed switch weapon [number pad] to normal keys [1, 2, 3]
> Bug fixes and performance changes

Tell me what you think!
Thanks!! :);)

Last edited:
W

weiner

I would add name of the gun or some icon. It looks better. When I die and reloading, reload text will not disappear, after reload. Will you add auto reload?

Gamerev147

I would add name of the gun or some icon. It looks better. When I die and reloading, reload text will not disappear, after reload. Will you add auto reload?
It's a possibility, but I think having manual reload adds more challenge to the game. Challenge is what keeps people playing the game!

I had icons before, but it added a lot of clutter to the screen. So I may add them again to see what people think of them.

Thank you for the feedback! :)

I haven't tried the game, just watched the trailer at the first post. It looks pretty good, and pretty fun. Multiplayer would make it pretty awesome! It is way way too dark, though.

MaGicBush

Pretty fun, but the lighting is way to dark as others have said. It also seemed odd that all of the AI was against me instead of the traditional teams. CTF is supposed to be a team game. One last thing I noticed is enemies popped around within milliseconds somehow seeing me when I was behind them which was annoying.

Gamerev147

Pretty fun, but the lighting is way to dark as others have said. It also seemed odd that all of the AI was against me instead of the traditional teams. CTF is supposed to be a team game. One last thing I noticed is enemies popped around within milliseconds somehow seeing me when I was behind them which was annoying.
Picture the way the enemies work as if they were seeing exactly what you see. So they can see when you're coming.
If I boost the lighting, the mesh for the walls will display really weird. The game is suppose to be challenging, and the lighting adds to the challenge!

I was attempting to introduce new game modes. It's you against all the enemies (in every game mode). However, the BOTS can still win.
If the bots also killed each other, there wouldn't be anyone for you to kill.

Thank you for the feedback. I will see if there is anything I can do about the lighting. Thanks! :)

Gamerev147

In the next update you can expect to see the following improvements:
  • Brighter lighting
  • Better shadows for best performance
  • Game mode changes (Capture the Flag)
  • And more!
Thank you all for the feedback! :) Stay tuned for the update!

Gamerev147

King of the Craze has been updated to version 1.0.0.19.
In this update you can expect to see the following changes and additions:
  • The lighting ambience has been brightened. It is now easier to see wall shadows, the ground, and overall, the game more.
  • The native resolution has been set to 1080p instead of 1680x1050.
  • The shotgun has been tuned for better hit registration.
  • Shell casings have been added. Now when you fire, you can see shells fly out of the chamber. (The shell casings are 3D)
That's about it for this update. You can download the updated version of the game below:

I have been expanding my research on Game Maker Networking. A new Co-Op Zombies mode may be added in the future.

Let me know what you think of the game in it's current state. Let me know what you would like to see in the future. Thanks! :)

0.Bytes

I like the "hotline miami" mechanics, The art is very well done, really good, I loved the blood effects when you get hurt, I dont think this game needs to have more light, I think that the dark ambience is what makes the game kinda ominous. keep up with the good work !

Gamerev147

I like the "hotline miami" mechanics, The art is very well done, really good, I loved the blood effects when you get hurt, I dont think this game needs to have more light, I think that the dark ambience is what makes the game kinda ominous. keep up with the good work !
Thank you so much! I'm so happy that everyone is liking the game! :)

If you played the game, did you notice any bugs or glitches?

Gamerev147

Soon to come: Update v1.0.0.20

In this future update you can expect to see a functional map editor. However, map saving and loading functions are not operable yet.

You can also expect to see:
  • A better update system
  • Easier BOTS in King of the Hill mode
  • Better shotgun hit feedback
  • Other simple bug fixes
Thanks! :)

Gamerev147

Hey everyone! Exciting news!

I've spent that past 2 days thinking and today, coded for 4 hours on a map editor.
It's finally functional!

In the next update you will see:
  • Map editor with:
  1. Many objects to place.
  2. Save and Load map functions
  3. Playable custom maps
Watch the tutorial on how to use the editor below:

Stay tuned, thanks! ;)

Gamerev147

This will probably be one of the last updates if I don't get any feedback on it.
This is update 1.0.0.20, and you can expect to see the following:
  • A functional map editor with tutorial included
  • Text showing how many enemies are remaining in the KOTH mode
  • Lighting changes on custom maps (no wall meshes)
  • And a few bug fixes
The map editor will continue to have updates, as for it's very basic right now.
Be sure to read the README file included in the bundle. Download:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, press F10 to access custom map loading. Also, player spawn zones do not work!
Be sure to leave some feedback, thanks! :)

Last edited:
W

weiner

:D Map editor needs lots of updates. Buttons, draw the position, it will not move with screen, buttons will, but player will not see it. And about walls. It would be better to build bigger walls with two clicks. Start and end. It is easy to do.
If you do not know what to do, you should check system of ammo. Changing the gun will reload the gun and it is faster than reload.

Gamerev147

Hello everyone! I was on vacation for a week so now I can answer questions and hopefully push another update soon. :)

First up, feedback responses:
Map editor needs lots of updates. Buttons, draw the position, it will not move with screen, buttons will, but player will not see it.
- The Map Editor has been updated to fix those issues. Buttons now stay in the view. Now the camera is moved using W, A, S, D to avoid glitches with the buttons.

So is this still a Feedback thread or is the game in an Alpha - Beta stage?
- I've gotten very little feedback from a very small audience. I would like more feedback, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
The next update I push will release the game into Alpha.

Thank you to everyone who has been participating in the development of King of the Craze! :D

Gamerev147

It's been a while since I've posted. To avoid confusion, I removed the link to download the game.
It's old and not valid anymore.

I've been working like crazy to add fancy stuff to the game. I'm getting ready to release it to Steam.
Check out the new game mode, King of the Hill!

B

Beleg

The potential for a good game, but I find it far too dark ! It needs a lot more light in my opinion.

A

altan0

Cool game man, the trailer was done really well and showcases the main points of the game. Did you make everything by yourself or was some of the artwork /codes sourced from somewhere?

Gamerev147

Cool game man, the trailer was done really well and showcases the main points of the game. Did you make everything by yourself or was some of the artwork /codes sourced from somewhere?
My father is a digital artist and does a majority of the artwork for me. I coded it all myself, I level designed all myself, and I made most of the sounds myself.

So in other words, the artwork was from elsewhere, technically, but for the most part was all independent. Thanks for your feedback! :):)

Gamerev147

Just a cool trailer I made for fun. Tell me what you think!

Hopefully I can get the game on Steam soon. Thanks everyone for your support! :)

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Wow man this is looking good! I still remember the very early test I played of this and I've gotta say, you and your game have evolved a lot, keep going and I tell you, you'll get far! Congrats! :)

Gamerev147

Can I squeeze anymore feedback out of anyone? I updated the thread (a lot). Check out the new features!
I don't have a demo or anything, but I have tons of videos.

I like the trailer, though I would honestly shorten the trailer a bit (maybe by half), it kind of drags on.

Maybe include call outs to the features in the game... like:

3-5 seconds gameplay
Feature: XXX
3-5 seconds gamplay
Feature: YYY
3-5 seconds gamplay
Feature: ZZZ

Basically the really long gameplay montage doesn't really do much to sell me the game. If I had some idea of the game features, though - I could be more persuaded to purchase the game.

Also - I know I said this awhile ago - but I still think the game is too dark. I know that is the vibe you are going for and maybe it is due to the video, but I feel like the lighting is really going to be really annoying. Maybe if I played, I'd feel different... so I could be wrong. I also don't quite get the multiple light colors, it seems out of place. For example: It feels like you are playing in a warehouse or something... but what warehouse would have multicolored lights setup like that?

Gamerev147

I like the trailer, though I would honestly shorten the trailer a bit (maybe by half), it kind of drags on.

Maybe include call outs to the features in the game... like:

3-5 seconds gameplay
Feature: XXX
3-5 seconds gamplay
Feature: YYY
3-5 seconds gamplay
Feature: ZZZ

Basically the really long gameplay montage doesn't really do much to sell me the game. If I had some idea of the game features, though - I could be more persuaded to purchase the game.

Also - I know I said this awhile ago - but I still think the game is too dark. I know that is the vibe you are going for and maybe it is due to the video, but I feel like the lighting is really going to be really annoying. Maybe if I played, I'd feel different... so I could be wrong. I also don't quite get the multiple light colors, it seems out of place. For example: It feels like you are playing in a warehouse or something... but what warehouse would have multicolored lights setup like that?
Some of the trailers I purposely put in a lot of game play.
It could possibly be the video making it seem dark... I increased the lighting by 27% a few updates ago. If I go any higher, the mesh for the walls start to interlace. It looks really ugly when that happens. I can try and increase it a bit more, but like you said, it's the vibe I'm going for.
The multi-colored lights I put on the spawn zones for the player and enemies as well as "special" objects (like ammo and health crates). Hopefully that makes sense :p

Thank you for your feedback! I will take it into consideration! :)

Some of the trailers I purposely put in a lot of game play.
It could possibly be the video making it seem dark... I increased the lighting by 27% a few updates ago. If I go any higher, the mesh for the walls start to interlace. It looks really ugly when that happens. I can try and increase it a bit more, but like you said, it's the vibe I'm going for.
The multi-colored lights I put on the spawn zones for the player and enemies as well as "special" objects (like ammo and health crates). Hopefully that makes sense :p

Thank you for your feedback! I will take it into consideration! :)
Sure - lighting may be fine, probably just the video.

And that all makes sense - I guess I was trying to help you get that trailer fine tuned for people who don't know what the game is about. Having some of that info sort of pointed out in the trailer may help, like "ENEMY SPAWN ZONES!!" "SPECIAL ITEMS!!", "ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!!", "MONTHLY TOURNEMENTS!!", "...AND MORE!!".

Either way, though - looks really good, I can tell you have spent a lot of time fine tuning this. Good luck getting it on Steam, I hope that goes well!!

F

FROGANUS

gunflash lighting might be a nice way to keep it dark but highlight and indicate when the action breaks out, if possible with your system.

looks cool!