Steam Circus Interstellar; A spiritual successor to Berzerk (final update!)

Roastedzerg

Final update to celebrate!!!
To honor our first game as we begin work on a full-blown remake of Circus Interstellar, we made one final HUGE patch to the original game!

-Smoother camera!
-New achievements and unlockable cheat codes and gameplay modifiers!

-More player characters and pallet swaps!
-Massive rebalancing and bug fixes!
-New and improved bosses!
-New player upgrade system!
-More story telling between the action!
-Revamped graphics!
-Higher resolution, up to 4k!
-Improved Survival mode, now supports 4 players!
-Smoother player controls!
-Improved clown AI!
-And much much more!

Circus Interstellar is now available on:
Ettinsoft.com
Steam

Itch.io

Circus Interstellar is an electrifying combination of the arcade classic: Berzerk, and the cult classic film: Killer Klowns From Outer Space. With touches of elements from some of our favorite games like Dead Space and Super Smash TV, Circus Interstellar is a tough-as-nails arcade experience from outta this world.

Circus Interstellar is a brutal arcade shooter featuring high-octane action, and killer music! Earth voyagers encounter a sadistic alien race with a terrifying clownish appearance and a nasty appetite. Will the survivors escape the gory circus? Or will they be assimilated like all the rest?

FEATURES
Addictive maze shooter gameplay!
Fast paced action!
Local Coop and Deathmatch!
A shocking experience!
A brutal soundtrack by Dance With The Dead!
And lots of freaking Clowns!

Circus Interstellar Wikia page: https://killer-clowns.fandom.com/wiki/Killer_Clowns_Wiki
Circus Interstellar Giant Bomb wiki: https://www.giantbomb.com/killer-clowns/3030-65287/
Read the comic online: https://ettinsoft.com/killer-clowns-comic/

Last edited:

Roastedzerg

Thanks a bunch! Dance with the Dead is a great band, very sci-fi spacey as well as giving a good slasher flick feel.

Last edited:

Roastedzerg

Bump, after some troubles with our last company, twinsanity games, Killer Clowns had to be pulled off the digital shelves. But now its back under our new company, Ettinsoft, better than ever. The original post has the new trailer and updated links.

Roastedzerg

Assuming this isn't going to induce heart attacks like the original ;)
It just might, lots of people are afraid of clowns. ;)

Love Bezerk. Had it on the Atari 2600.

Your game looks great!
Thank you, glad you like it. My brother and I played Berzerk a bunch on my dad's Atari 5200 as kiddo's. Always wanted to see it with textures and better graphics. When it came down to making our first game, we always wanted to make a game like the movie Killer Klowns from outer space, and the design for Berzerk felt simple enough for a basic skeleton.

Last edited:
G

Cool game, I loved both Berzerk and Smash TV. Awesome to see a GMS2 game launch!

Any tips based on what you learned from the whatever happened with Twinsanity? We're all devs, any wisdom learned through experience, stuff not to do etc., to pass on to us?

Roastedzerg

Cool game, I loved both Berzerk and Smash TV. Awesome to see a GMS2 game launch!

Any tips based on what you learned from the whatever happened with Twinsanity? We're all devs, any wisdom learned through experience, stuff not to do etc., to pass on to us?
Totally, without being too specific, we were just beginning to do business, we were self taught (very little at the time) and we wanted to start a small indie game company with me, my brother and a few friends. Everything was going great for development but my brother and i were more focused on just making video games and we didn't want to handle the business end, so we asked one of the friends who we were believing was really good at the dreaded biz stuff. The catch was that he had just moved state and everything we discussed had to be over Skype. That can be a pain in the ass when the dude has a job that keeps him there from dusk till dawn and he only want to meet once or twice a week. Well i was getting rather impatient because the game was almost finished. I had been teaching myself a little about business to make sure things were being handled correctly and was finding very little. I really wanted our first official company to be successful, even if it was a small success, and i felt i would need to step up if i wanted that to happen. But this guy had all the business stuff under lock down from us and would not give us access to some of them. He was supposed to do our website, make a deal with the record companies, trademark our logo, register our company to the state, advertise, ect. Well he didn't do any of those nice things. Instead he told us he was working hard and nothing came of it, except maybe some dangerous advertising in the means that we didn't even have any of the dang music rights to at the time. I eventually got pissed and sent a polite message asking him to show proof to us that he did any of the things we had already learned he didn't do and he told us that he owned the company because he paid most of the money to the company (be careful of that). Then he proceeded to fire me and my bro from the company telling us that HE couldn't trust US and liquidated the company short after because we were his only programmers and artists, and my bro and I were the only ones with the source code because we were the only ones working on the game. That was proof enough that we were the creators of Killer Clowns and we took our game with us.
Some other lessons I learned were to choose friends wiser, don't hire people who don't want to work, and that I had to learn the business side of the company.

Our current company, Ettinsoft, is now just my brother and I and everything is official and secure. We're still learning a lot, and things are moving really slow, but that's expected when you're starting out. All in all it was worth the experience, which is what its all about.

L

Lucia

you should improve the UI of the game. you use a lot of different fonts

Roastedzerg

you should improve the UI of the game. you use a lot of different fonts
Thank you for your feedback! From what i remember we cut it down to 2 fonts, one carnival style font for our quotes and menu stuff and one digitized font for everything else. This was intentional, we wanted a blend of circus and future. We didn't really see it being an issue, however it sounds like having more than a single font bothers people and we will keep this in mind for future titles.

Roastedzerg

Hi,
top quality game, awesome programming skills.
Out of curiosity, how many people worked on it?
Just me and my twin brother, everything was mostly split down the middle, though some of the tasks leaned one way or the other. For example, i did almost all of the programming while my brother did all of the sound design. We split the work on the art, my brother did the all the textures and i did all the sprites and animations. And all the design choices are also split down the middle. Hence why we decided we didn't need any other members when we split from Twinsanity Games and started Ettinsoft LLC.

Roastedzerg

*Bump*
Made some really big updates to bring the original release (previously known as Killer Clowns) to a fully polished and finalized version to celebrate our first game before beginning work on a full-blown remake we are calling Super Circus Interstellar (more on that later)