1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Killer Clowns; A spiritual successor to Berzerk (big update!)

Discussion in 'Made with GameMaker' started by Roastedzerg, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

[​IMG]

New update!!!
    -New dynamic camera system!
    -New achievement system! (steam and in game)

-New unlockable cheat system!
    -New in game comic!
    -Balancing and bug fixes!

Killer Clowns is now available!!! (officially)
    Ettinsoft.com/Killer-Clowns
    Steam

Killer Clowns is an electrifying combination of the arcade classic: Berzerk, and the cult classic film: Killer Klowns From Outer Space. With touches of elements from some of our favorite games like Dead Space and Super Smash TV, Killer Clowns is a tough-as-nails arcade experience from outta this world.

Set in the distant future, Earth struggles for survival due to a shortage of resources. The Planetary Resource Importation Corporation sets to the stars in search of a future for mankind. What they found instead, was a circus from hell.

FEATURES
    Addictive maze shooter gameplay!
    Fast paced action!
    Local Coop and Deathmatch!
    A shocking experience!
    A brutal soundtrack by Dance With The Dead!
    And lots of freaking Clowns!

Killer Clowns Wikia page: https://killer-clowns.fandom.com/wiki/Killer_Clowns_Wiki
    Killer Clowns Giant Bomb wiki: https://www.giantbomb.com/killer-clowns/3030-65287/
    Read the comic online: https://ettinsoft.com/killer-clowns-comic/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Japster, Raoul, Mert and 4 others like this.
  2. Sabnock

Sabnock Member

That looks freaking awesome.

Roastedzerg likes this.
  3. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

Thank you! :D

4. Wraithious

Wraithious Member

Nice work! love the soundtrack too it fits perfect

Roastedzerg likes this.
  5. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

Thanks a bunch! Dance with the Dead is a great band, very sci-fi spacey as well as giving a good slasher flick feel.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  6. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

7. F. Cole

F. Cole Member

Assuming this isn't going to induce heart attacks like the original ;)

Roastedzerg likes this.
  8. Toque

Toque Member

Love Bezerk. Had it on the Atari 2600.

Your game looks great!

Roastedzerg likes this.
  9. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

Bump, after some troubles with our last company, twinsanity games, Killer Clowns had to be pulled off the digital shelves. But now its back under our new company, Ettinsoft, better than ever. The original post has the new trailer and updated links.

10. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

It just might, lots of people are afraid of clowns. ;)

Thank you, glad you like it. My brother and I played Berzerk a bunch on my dad's Atari 5200 as kiddo's. Always wanted to see it with textures and better graphics. When it came down to making our first game, we always wanted to make a game like the movie Killer Klowns from outer space, and the design for Berzerk felt simple enough for a basic skeleton.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  11. Bearman_18

Bearman_18 Member

Color me impressed! I love the way this game looks! I may have to buy this.

Roastedzerg likes this.
  12. brentontarrant

brentontarrant Member

Great artwork!

Roastedzerg likes this.
  13. Toque

Toque Member

Played original bezerk in arcade on Sunday.

Nice upgrade here. Maybe a bit of smash tv feel too. Good nice.

Roastedzerg likes this.
  14. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

Thanks! Just wait till you see the Killer Clowns comic book we're making right now.

That would be correct, Smash TV was a big influence, i loved that game on the SNES growing up. And mixing some of the formulas of Berzerk with Smash TV was really fun.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Cool game, I loved both Berzerk and Smash TV. Awesome to see a GMS2 game launch!

Any tips based on what you learned from the whatever happened with Twinsanity? We're all devs, any wisdom learned through experience, stuff not to do etc., to pass on to us?

16. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

Totally, without being too specific, we were just beginning to do business, we were self taught (very little at the time) and we wanted to start a small indie game company with me, my brother and a few friends. Everything was going great for development but my brother and i were more focused on just making video games and we didn't want to handle the business end, so we asked one of the friends who we were believing was really good at the dreaded biz stuff. The catch was that he had just moved state and everything we discussed had to be over Skype. That can be a pain in the ass when the dude has a job that keeps him there from dusk till dawn and he only want to meet once or twice a week. Well i was getting rather impatient because the game was almost finished. I had been teaching myself a little about business to make sure things were being handled correctly and was finding very little. I really wanted our first official company to be successful, even if it was a small success, and i felt i would need to step up if i wanted that to happen. But this guy had all the business stuff under lock down from us and would not give us access to some of them. He was supposed to do our website, make a deal with the record companies, trademark our logo, register our company to the state, advertise, ect. Well he didn't do any of those nice things. Instead he told us he was working hard and nothing came of it, except maybe some dangerous advertising in the means that we didn't even have any of the dang music rights to at the time. I eventually got pissed and sent a polite message asking him to show proof to us that he did any of the things we had already learned he didn't do and he told us that he owned the company because he paid most of the money to the company (be careful of that). Then he proceeded to fire me and my bro from the company telling us that HE couldn't trust US and liquidated the company short after because we were his only programmers and artists, and my bro and I were the only ones with the source code because we were the only ones working on the game. That was proof enough that we were the creators of Killer Clowns and we took our game with us.
    Some other lessons I learned were to choose friends wiser, don't hire people who don't want to work, and that I had to learn the business side of the company.

Our current company, Ettinsoft, is now just my brother and I and everything is official and secure. We're still learning a lot, and things are moving really slow, but that's expected when you're starting out. All in all it was worth the experience, which is what its all about.

Guest likes this.
  17. Lucia

Lucia Member

you should improve the UI of the game. you use a lot of different fonts

18. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

Thank you for your feedback! From what i remember we cut it down to 2 fonts, one carnival style font for our quotes and menu stuff and one digitized font for everything else. This was intentional, we wanted a blend of circus and future. We didn't really see it being an issue, however it sounds like having more than a single font bothers people and we will keep this in mind for future titles.

19. Raoul

Raoul Member

Hi,
    top quality game, awesome programming skills.
    Out of curiosity, how many people worked on it?

20. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

Just me and my twin brother, everything was mostly split down the middle, though some of the tasks leaned one way or the other. For example, i did almost all of the programming while my brother did all of the sound design. We split the work on the art, my brother did the all the textures and i did all the sprites and animations. And all the design choices are also split down the middle. Hence why we decided we didn't need any other members when we split from Twinsanity Games and started Ettinsoft LLC.

21. Roastedzerg

Roastedzerg Member

*Bump*
    Killer Clowns just got a huge update, all information has been edited on first post