• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Keystore warning from Google Play

D

Dushi

I had been published the game on Google Play. Later I had to change computer so I screened info from Preferences -> Keystore and backuped keystore file. On new computer I loaded keystore file and filled things above(company name etc.) - everything is same like on old computer. But I created new update apk on my new computer, uploaded it to google play. The game is playable but I received warning from Google Play " Security Alert: Your app contains embedded private keys or keystore files ".
Also there is path where maybe is problem assets/keystore.keystore (I can't find this).

DukeSoft

No! It should very much NOT be there! Thats like selling cars and giving people the keys to the factory as well.

A private key is used to encrypt stuff (or sign your package) - and its YOURS. Thats why its called a private key. Usually you have a password on a private key, but that is an _extra_ protection for if someone ever manages to steal your private key (which is pretty easy in your case).

You basically use your private key to create a lock (a kind of hash) - people can then use a PUBLIC key to check if the hash was really made with that private key.

Thats why you have a private and a public key.

I suggest you throw away your old key as fast as possible and regenerate a new keyset, and keeping the private key _private_ :)

Read up some more here; https://www.comodo.com/resources/small-business/digital-certificates2.php

D

Dushi

OMG, I'm an idiot. Thank you ! By the way If I change private key do I have to completely create new application on Google play ?

DukeSoft

Not sure about that, but I think you'll need to give a new public key to google. There is probably a section with "keys" where you can "discard" the old one and put in the new one. You will then have to upload a new version built with that key, yeah.

D

Dushi

I deleted keystore file from "Included files" and updated my app but Google sent me the warning again. Where else keystore could be ? Please help, Iam really scared Google is going to delete my app.