• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Keyboard controls configuration on local multiplayer. A.K.A welcome to hell.

Khao

Warning. This issue is kind of... weird, so this is gonna be a massive wall of text. Putting some things on spoilers to make it more digestible.

So. I'm currently working on a Local, 4-Player multiplayer game that supports both keyboards and gamepads. And from the start, I've wanted both input methods to be fully featured and equally polished.

Welp, easier said than done.

The thing is, every player can setup their controls separately. While in the character selection screen, you can click your profile and freely change all your controls. All players can do this at once because they all have their own profile on-screen while they're selecting characters.

This works great for Gamepads. For multiple reasons. Every player has their own separate device. Inputs are generally standardized; Up on the D-Pad or stick is always up. Pressing A or Start (or menu, whatever they call it these days) always confirms your action. It's all completely seamless, and you can change all gameplay actions around, but your menu controls are always consistent and predictable because there's really only one way to do them.

Everything works. Everything's great.

Right?

Enter the keyboard.

Unlike gamepads, nothing is truly standard. Some players prefer the arrows. Some players prefer WASD. Some players need ZQSD instead. And multiple players on one keyboard (even though it's clearly not the ideal option) will absolutely need separate keys, but they still share a single device. They need to have their own confirmation keys. They need their own "cancel" key. They need to be able to set said key anywhere on the keyboard for convenience's sake.

Soooooooooo a player configures their controls. They change the movement keys but holy 💩💩💩💩 wait, now that they changed the "up" key, they have to navigate to the rest of the keys using the new up key but the old down key which is awkward as 💩💩💩💩. They change their confirmation key. They change their cancel key. Do you see where this is going? Basically they have to adjust to their new controls as they go which is more than little annoying. Control settings really should be simple and easy. But how do I approach the settings when the keyboard is so complex, with such subjective preferences, and the potential to be shared by multiple players? Another complication that is equally awkward, is that controls have a "default" setting AND a player specific setting that can be saved to a named profile, Smash Bros-style. If a player saves their keyboard preferences to a name, the next time they play, they have to select their name using the "default" keyboard settings, and THEN use their own settings after selecting the name, which might be completely different.

I got a few options in mind, but I really want to see what others think before settling on any of them. Especially if any of you guys have another, better idea.

Basically, instead of changing keyboard controls while preparing for a match, like gampad users can, you can only set keyboard controls on the options menu, and they can't be adjusted on a profile level. Additionally, it might be a good idea to have normal menus (as-in, not player-dependant), ALWAYS work exclusively using the arrow keys + ENTER + ESC rather than the player-specific settings. That way, your input won't randomly change as you go. The Player-specific controls would then only apply when selecting characters and in-game.

Pros: All awkwardness regarding inputs changing as you go are solved. Since controls are always the same after entering the menu, even selecting your profile won't change the buttons you have to press. Controls are always consistent no matter what you do. Basically, every problem I described is solved.

Cons: Keyboards in general end up feeling like they're lesser than keyboards, as they can't access the same input options with the same level of freedom. Because controls can't be saved to profiles, keyboard players can't really customize their own playstyle. And because controls can't be changed while selecting characters, you have to back out to the main menu every time a keyboard player wants to make the smallest adjustment to their controls.

Exactly as the name says. You only have one keyboard player at a time, which allows the entire keyboard to cater to the one player at all times.

Pros: You can have both standard inputs (such as arrow keys on every menu, including player-specific settings) AND you get to set your controls during character selection. Profiles and all. You're the sole keyboard player, so the entire keyboard is your property and the generic inputs apply literally everywhere. There's never any confusion involved, and you get to use all features. The best thing, is that when doing this, I can now allow the keyboard player to use the freely use the mouse both in menus and in-game, which makes navigation feel extremely clean when you're the only keyboard player (or the only player period).

Cons: A little bit obvious. There's way less freedom when it comes to multiplayer. Multiplayer with only a keyboard is impossible, at least one gamepad is always required. Again, makes the keyboard feel a bit less supported than the gamepads.

Everything in solution 1 applies, with generic menu inputs and everything, except you CAN change your controls in the selection screen and save them, as long as the specific keys match the same keys as the default controls. Basically, you're not mapping specific keys on the menu, but specific actions. Like, you set up the default keyboard controls so that actions 1, 2 and 3 are A, S and D, respectively. Then, when changing options on the selection menu, you can freely swap the inputs for actions 1, 2 and 3 between the predefined keys, and save those specific swaps to a profile.

Pros: All pros from solution 1 apply, plus you get to use some degree of customization during the selection screen AND save stuff to profiles.

Cons: Feels a little bit convoluted? Like, is it a good idea to allow for input options if you don't get to change all inputs? Also your specific preferences stop making sense the moment you change the default controls, so in a way, it can feel MORE limiting than solution 1 despite having more options.

Basically instead of providing a list of their currently set buttons, when keyboard users start customizing their controls they get prompts one after the other like "press your jump key" *press* > "press your shooting key" *press* and so.

Pros: Keyboard players have access to all the same options as the gamepad, and there's less confusion when setting controls as they don't have to adjust to their new buttons as they're still customizing them.

Cons: They still have to get used to their new buttons immediately after finishing customization. The problem is definitely reduced, but not solved entirely. Plus, 2 keyboard players setting controls at the same time could get very, VERY messy.

Maybe it's not that bad?

Pros: Keyboards stay fully featured, if a bit awkward.

Cons: It's not a solution lol.

Remove keyboard support, who cares.

Pros: All keyboard issues are gone.

Cons: Because there's no keyboard.

Solutions 1 and 2 feel like the most appropriate at the moment, but neither of them are perfect. I really want to provide good keyboard support, but it just seems like it's impossible to have keyboard support be as solid as gamepad support when it comes to multiplayer. Either way, I'd love to see what you guys think. If you have another idea, if you think I'm worrying too much, or if another one of this solutions is like clearly the best... please let me know!

Last edited:

TailBit

I wouldn't have this game for multiple players on keyboard unless each players only used 2 buttons each.

With 6 buttons then you will start to notice that button presses are ignored because there are already too many buttons held down.

So I would do 1 keyboard and 3 gamepads, 4 if the keyboard user wants to use one too.

I ran into the same problem in one of my games (Bobblenauts). It's a local 4-player deathmatch game that only uses 2 buttons, so I had it a little lighter than you, but still, it kicked my arse for quite awhile, especially menu navigation and how to deal with that.

I eventually decided on only being able to remap actual action buttons used in-game, rather than interface navigation (so A is always confirm in menu navigation and B is always cancel, with the mouse being used for "keyboard" navigation). I also mapped controller buttons to all the "quick" actions people might want to take during game setup (things like swapping what "head" they used, changing their slot between AI and player-controlled, opening their profile, etc) were all directly controlled by different buttons on the gamepad and non-remappable (with graphics popping up to represent the button to press). Additionally, this prevented the "swapping back and forth" that sometimes happen when two people are trying to select different things at the same time with controllers.

On top of all that, I only allowed 1 keyboard, then the rest had to be controllers (or at least, that's what I remember from when I last worked on it). Swapping controller/keyboards/AI combos on the fly through code depending on what multiple people were doing certainly wasn't fun either. As I said before, the game only uses 2 buttons, so I may rejigger it to allow 2 keyboards in the future, but regardless, it was a massive pain to get everything working.

My advice is play-test, play-test, play-test and don't get too caught up in having absolutely everything be customisable. Generally, people can muddle through a menu with buttons they might find slightly awkward, it's only when they're playing and they constantly press the wrong button and cannot remap it that they will actually rage. So make sure they can customise action buttons, but don't break your back trying to make every little thing be interchangeable.

TailBit

Well, it is possible to use 2 keyboards on one computer tho, that should fix the problem with multiple keys, but they can't use the same buttons, and they can mess with the other player's controls .. there is no method of filter the inputs to which keyboard then, unless you make a custom dll with a new set of keyboard functions. (but that is further then I would go ^^;; )

Khao

I wouldn't have this game for multiple players on keyboard unless each players only used 2 buttons each.

With 6 buttons then you will start to notice that button presses are ignored because there are already too many buttons held down.

So I would do 1 keyboard and 3 gamepads, 4 if the keyboard user wants to use one too.
Remembering how I used to play an emulated Smash Bros 64 on my school's PCs as a kid with friends, that was part of the fun, hahaha.

In all seriousness, even if that's an issue, I think it's better to at least have the option. A lot of modern keyboards are built in such a way to avoid that problem anyway. Especially keyboards aimed at gamers. Still, the more I think about it, the more the single keyboard solution sounds like the most elegant option.
I ran into the same problem in one of my games (Bobblenauts). It's a local 4-player deathmatch game that only uses 2 buttons, so I had it a little lighter than you, but still, it kicked my arse for quite awhile, especially menu navigation and how to deal with that.

I eventually decided on only being able to remap actual action buttons used in-game, rather than interface navigation (so A is always confirm in menu navigation and B is always cancel, with the mouse being used for "keyboard" navigation). I also mapped controller buttons to all the "quick" actions people might want to take during game setup (things like swapping what "head" they used, changing their slot between AI and player-controlled, opening their profile, etc) were all directly controlled by different buttons on the gamepad and non-remappable (with graphics popping up to represent the button to press). Additionally, this prevented the "swapping back and forth" that sometimes happen when two people are trying to select different things at the same time with controllers.

On top of all that, I only allowed 1 keyboard, then the rest had to be controllers (or at least, that's what I remember from when I last worked on it). Swapping controller/keyboards/AI combos on the fly through code depending on what multiple people were doing certainly wasn't fun either. As I said before, the game only uses 2 buttons, so I may rejigger it to allow 2 keyboards in the future, but regardless, it was a massive pain to get everything working.

My advice is play-test, play-test, play-test and don't get too caught up in having absolutely everything be customisable. Generally, people can muddle through a menu with buttons they might find slightly awkward, it's only when they're playing and they constantly press the wrong button and cannot remap it that they will actually rage. So make sure they can customise action buttons, but don't break your back trying to make every little thing be interchangeable.
This really sounds like my best bet. Let the keyboard (also mouse) use generic inputs for menus, and anything you want for in-game actions. Keep it as one device for one player.

I still think it's a bit of a shame if the game straight up doesn't allow you to set a second keyboard player though. I'm kind of entertaining the idea... what if I take this route, but also have an option "hidden" behind the option menus to allow setup for a second keyboard player? The first keyboard player still has fixed menu inputs and feels really polished and well-excecuted and can use the mouse and all that. But if you really need it, you can setup a second keyboard player who uses the more awkward settings but also gets the job done. You think that would feel right? It would feel really good if you're the only keyboard player. But then you can mess in the options to add a second one and it's not going to feel good at all, but hey, multiple players on one keyboard is gonna be awkward regarless of implementation.

Thinking about it, it might even be a decent idea to put up a warning message when turning on the second keyboard, haha. Like "hey, you can do this thing if you want to but... you should really get a gamepad instead, because this is not gonna be pretty."

Second keyboard could behave like solution 1 too. Have it fully customizable in the options menu, but not during character selection. Also don't let it save to a profile. I might need to rework my system just a little bit, but it might be worth it! Feels like it's more or less the best of both worlds. One of those worlds is awful, but eh, it should work well by default while still giving you options.

Well, it is possible to use 2 keyboards on one computer tho, that should fix the problem with multiple keys, but they can't use the same buttons, and they can mess with the other player's controls .. there is no method of filter the inputs to which keyboard then, unless you make a custom dll with a new set of keyboard functions. (but that is further then I would go ^^;; )
This would be brilliant if it was easy hahaha. But it sounds like too much effort for something that almost no one would end up trying.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The way I designed my input system is easy to let multiple players locally use literally whatever they want for game action controls. Technically, it does allow you to define menu navigation as part of that if you wanted to. However, in my mind, I'm not thinking of it like that. I'm thinking you let them define their directions, etc... that apply to the game, and then just use those for the menus too. The same button that moves my character left(whether its the arrow key, a standard axis on a gamepad, or even some button on the right side of a gamepad), would be the same button to move the cursor left in the menus. This approach seems just fine for when you let players choose whatever they want for controls, even if you let them mix gamepads(which my input system does, no filtering is involved, on purpose). That said, you are depending on the players to choose "sane" inputs. You are also dependent on them to have inputs set up before doing menu navigation, meaning you either supply defaults, or you force them to be set up initially using the keyboard/mouse.

The reason I've designed my thing to be so unrestrictive, is simply that I've heard of strange stories of people that do strange things. For example, they really like the DPad/Axis on one gamepad, but want the buttons of another gamepad...or want to combine the keyboard with a gamepad....or want to use a gamepad primarily but the game has too many actions and so they need a couple keyboard keys as well. So I made my input system to not care at all about these things. It knows what each player's actions are assigned to, but does nothing to restrict any player's actions to any device at all. So it is basically meant to cater to both singleplayer and multiplayer game needs. This post wasn't meant to advertise my input system(I promise), but since I did design it, I have to reference the way I did it. Note that the following is my opinion on the OP proposed solutions. I have pretty strong feelings on input for some reason, so take the advice as you see fit.

Solution 1: Not acceptable to me. not everybody has a gamepad, much less multiple. You need to support the keyboard as a game input device. I can see it if you made the menu controls a separate thing, and then left the binding of those inputs separate, maybe not configurable, whatever...but denying the player the use of the keyboard at game time isn't acceptable to me.

Solution 2: I don't think this is acceptable for the same reason as #1...two people might be able to figure out a way around the keyboard to play, depending on how many inputs you are using for your game. Also, not all keyboards have "ghosting" issues, so in some cases you wouldn't even loose keystrokes, depending on how good the keyboard is. So I'd say you should allow multiple players on the keyboard, even if they are not comfortable...it is on them after all if they don't have gamepads, or if they have ghosting issues. I would say to allow it, but maybe have on the help screen or somewhere documented simply reminding people of the issues that they could have. Many gamers are already aware but it is good to have the documentation just in case.

Solution 3: I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I was under the assumption that we were mapping actions to keys/inputs, not the other way around. I would never try to implement a menu or system that maps all the keys to actions...rather I would map my actions to keys only. And going by the first line in this spoiler it seems that you are still putting a limitation by saying keys have to match the default keys?! Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean...but I'm sure its clear by the time you have read this far that I very much don't agree with limitations on inputs.

Solution 4: I understand this one. The thing is that you are still doing what I wouldn't like, designating a player as a keyboard player, which would lead to other players being gamepad players. I'm sure most groups of players will straight up follow this...I just don't think it should be enforced by the input system at all. The other thing is that if a player only wants to change a single input, you are forcing them to go through the whole list...seems frustrating from a player point of view to me. That said, I wouldn't disagree with only allowing one player to set inputs at the same time(which is how it would have to be done in my input system, since I never specify that any player is stuck to any specific device/keyboard/gamepad). I would lean more to simply have an options menu with what amounts to multiple tabs, showing a single player's inputs on the screen at a time, letting them load or set the inputs, and that's it. I don't think its even worth trying to have them set inputs as part of "match-preparation" as to me that seems to just complicate things, especially when they would generally only do it once and then not do it again.

Solution 5: I would simply stop with the setting inputs as part of pre-match, and designate some option menus to it. i would also have only a single player do it at a time. It may take longer, but it allows you to easily let players do whatever the hell they want, have 5 people on the keyboard, whatever....note that in general, players will be sane, and would configure controls that make sense, each with his/her own gamepad, etc... its just that I think it shouldn't be a thing that you specifically limit.

Solution 6: I think we agree that this is similar to solution 1 and should simply not exist as a "solution."

Khao

The way I designed my input system is easy to let multiple players locally use literally whatever they want for game action controls. Technically, it does allow you to define menu navigation as part of that if you wanted to. However, in my mind, I'm not thinking of it like that. I'm thinking you let them define their directions, etc... that apply to the game, and then just use those for the menus too. The same button that moves my character left(whether its the arrow key, a standard axis on a gamepad, or even some button on the right side of a gamepad), would be the same button to move the cursor left in the menus. This approach seems just fine for when you let players choose whatever they want for controls, even if you let them mix gamepads(which my input system does, no filtering is involved, on purpose). That said, you are depending on the players to choose "sane" inputs. You are also dependent on them to have inputs set up before doing menu navigation, meaning you either supply defaults, or you force them to be set up initially using the keyboard/mouse.

The reason I've designed my thing to be so unrestrictive, is simply that I've heard of strange stories of people that do strange things. For example, they really like the DPad/Axis on one gamepad, but want the buttons of another gamepad...or want to combine the keyboard with a gamepad....or want to use a gamepad primarily but the game has too many actions and so they need a couple keyboard keys as well. So I made my input system to not care at all about these things. It knows what each player's actions are assigned to, but does nothing to restrict any player's actions to any device at all. So it is basically meant to cater to both singleplayer and multiplayer game needs. This post wasn't meant to advertise my input system(I promise), but since I did design it, I have to reference the way I did it. Note that the following is my opinion on the OP proposed solutions. I have pretty strong feelings on input for some reason, so take the advice as you see fit.
I can see why you would want to do that (I myself like to do some weird 💩💩💩💩 with the newest Tomb Raider games with a gamepad and mouse at the same time), but my current design wouldn't really allow for that. Like, I have a system that's treating players, controllers and "slots" separately, each as their own thing. Pressing a button on any controller assings that controller (or keyboard) to a player on a free slot. After you're a player, you can freely swap slots, select a profile with your own custom control preferences, and modify options as you see fit. I really think it's perfect for this game aside from the keyboard issues I described.
Solution 1: Not acceptable to me. not everybody has a gamepad, much less multiple. You need to support the keyboard as a game input device. I can see it if you made the menu controls a separate thing, and then left the binding of those inputs separate, maybe not configurable, whatever...but denying the player the use of the keyboard at game time isn't acceptable to me.
I think you're misunderstanding solution 1. It allows for keyboard play, it just doesn't let you remap the controls during character selection, or save them to a player profile. You can still change specific inputs at the options menu. I'm assuming my use of the world "default" is confusing so I guess I should clarify, haha. When I say "default" controls, I mean the controls you use when you don't have selected or created a player profile. Player profiles can save specific control options, which are different from the "default" options. However, even though I refer to them as "default", they can still be changed on the options menu. If you're familiar with Smash Bros's naming system, it's extrely similar, except it also allows you to customize your controls while everyone is selecting a character. I consider this a huge QoL feature and already have it working as intended and have tested it with several players. Keyboard settings are the only thing anyone has had trouble with.
Solution 2: I don't think this is acceptable for the same reason as #1...two people might be able to figure out a way around the keyboard to play, depending on how many inputs you are using for your game. Also, not all keyboards have "ghosting" issues, so in some cases you wouldn't even loose keystrokes, depending on how good the keyboard is. So I'd say you should allow multiple players on the keyboard, even if they are not comfortable...it is on them after all if they don't have gamepads, or if they have ghosting issues. I would say to allow it, but maybe have on the help screen or somewhere documented simply reminding people of the issues that they could have. Many gamers are already aware but it is good to have the documentation just in case.
That's more or less what I said in a following post above. The "do this at your own risk" message is a good idea and I think I'll end up with that.
Solution 3: I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I was under the assumption that we were mapping actions to keys/inputs, not the other way around. I would never try to implement a menu or system that maps all the keys to actions...rather I would map my actions to keys only. And going by the first line in this spoiler it seems that you are still putting a limitation by saying keys have to match the default keys?! Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean...but I'm sure its clear by the time you have read this far that I very much don't agree with limitations on inputs.
What I mean is: The options menu gives you full freedom when it comes to key configuration (at least within what my system allows, so sadly no using multiple devices for one player), but then you can make small specific adjustments and save them under your player profile. Remember that I refer to "default" as the controls you use when you don't have a profile assigned. You can still change those defaults. I think this is my least favorite solution though, haha.
Solution 4: I understand this one. The thing is that you are still doing what I wouldn't like, designating a player as a keyboard player, which would lead to other players being gamepad players. I'm sure most groups of players will straight up follow this...I just don't think it should be enforced by the input system at all. The other thing is that if a player only wants to change a single input, you are forcing them to go through the whole list...seems frustrating from a player point of view to me. That said, I wouldn't disagree with only allowing one player to set inputs at the same time(which is how it would have to be done in my input system, since I never specify that any player is stuck to any specific device/keyboard/gamepad). I would lean more to simply have an options menu with what amounts to multiple tabs, showing a single player's inputs on the screen at a time, letting them load or set the inputs, and that's it. I don't think its even worth trying to have them set inputs as part of "match-preparation" as to me that seems to just complicate things, especially when they would generally only do it once and then not do it again.

Solution 5: I would simply stop with the setting inputs as part of pre-match, and designate some option menus to it. i would also have only a single player do it at a time. It may take longer, but it allows you to easily let players do whatever the hell they want, have 5 people on the keyboard, whatever....note that in general, players will be sane, and would configure controls that make sense, each with his/her own gamepad, etc... its just that I think it shouldn't be a thing that you specifically limit.
You're actually describing solution 1 here. :p

And yes, I think it's very much worth it. If you have multiple players coming and going, it's extremely useful to be able to change buttons on the spot. Again, if you're familiar with Smash Bros and have played with a lot of different people with weird differences, having to go back to the menu every time someone wants to make a small change is a struggle. Rivals of Aether allows you to change your buttons during character selection and it's seriously a godsend. It's the exact opposite of complicated.
Solution 6: I think we agree that this is similar to solution 1 and should simply not exist as a "solution."
Yeah, I mostly included solution 6 as a joke, haha. Keyboard support is important. I think it's also important to find a balance between freedom and ease-of-use.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
OK, so we generally agree on things...but the parts that I don't agree with are basically a thing that is already part of your game, and wouldn't be able to really be changed without you changing a lot of things. I didn't know you had the options menu implementation, I hadn't understood with solution 1 that you could then still customize with the options menu using the keyboard. At least you personally understand that weird mouse/gamepad combination thing I'm getting at. I don't do it personally, but I know enough people that do weird stuff like that so I simply couldn't make inputs like you have, with gamepads being assigned to slots for players and those limitations.

I think the whole having pre-match setup thing is pretty cool in concept...I just don't think the limitations it brings would be worth it.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The way I solved it in my game is, you can only change one player's controls at a time. It's implemented as a "pick the thing you wanna change, then press the new button" menu rather than a continous remap because it was easier for me to do, but in principle I prefer the "press all buttons at once" menu (with one important caveat: show the entire button list at all times. Nothing's more annoying than having to remap inputs twice because there's suddenly a better fit for a key you've already mapped, and some games happily lets you map the same button twice if you're inattentive).

Also important in my game: only one keyboard profile actually is set at the start; the other three are filled with "NONE" constants (which are displayed as a N/A symbol). The reason for this is that with four keyboard profiles, essentially every key on the keyboard did something and it was a nightmare trying to remap without having conflicting inputs for a key (e.g. P2 accept and P3 cancel cancelling each other out all the time).

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The way I solved it in my game is, you can only change one player's controls at a time. It's implemented as a "pick the thing you wanna change, then press the new button" menu rather than a continous remap because it was easier for me to do, but in principle I prefer the "press all buttons at once" menu (with one important caveat: show the entire button list at all times. Nothing's more annoying than having to remap inputs twice because there's suddenly a better fit for a key you've already mapped, and some games happily lets you map the same button twice if you're inattentive).

Also important in my game: only one keyboard profile actually is set at the start; the other three are filled with "NONE" constants (which are displayed as a N/A symbol). The reason for this is that with four keyboard profiles, essentially every key on the keyboard did something and it was a nightmare trying to remap without having conflicting inputs for a key (e.g. P2 accept and P3 cancel cancelling each other out all the time).
That doesn't seem like a bad solution, and is similar to what my input system does. It is one at a time. There is nothing that would stop you from doing them all at once in sequence...but I wouldn't recommend it. As far as allowing conflicting inputs....its optional. You can choose to completely block anything that conflicts...or you can choose to allow it, and then you can handle it however you want. I have that choice in there in case someone wants to handle it themselves instead of having my system just directly block it.

As far as profiles...my system does it based on players. There are some amount of actions, and then each player can choose inputs for those actions. There is nothing that makes a certain profile for the keyboard, or for the gamepads. And you can combine any and everything the way you want. This could lead to players configuring things wrong...but I feels it is better to allow it, as they are the ones hitting the buttons to make a choice. My system does allow you to create "default" mappings, and you can load those in at any time. So yeah, I don't really apply any forced limitations, but it does have that defect that crazy players can do things that wouldn't work well, but then, that is kinda their own fault at that point.