GMS 2.3+ Keybinds and drawing text in tutorials

Smacktard

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to draw text that displays whichever key is bound to an action. For example, if I allow players to bind "jump" to any key on the keyboard, how could I communicate, during the game's tutorial, which button = jump? Is there any way to draw text that shows the re-bound key? The only way I can think of doing it is through a convoluted DS Map system, and even then I don't really have the details ironed out in my mind.

Example:

Character: Press [BOUND KEY] to jump!

How do I replace "[BOUND KEY]" with whatever key the player has changed it to? Is this even possible without developing some gargantuan, complicated system that would be incredibly difficult to adapt to Russian/Japanese keyboards, for example?

poorlocke

This is not a small thing to do. I did it a couple of weeks ago for a game. How I did it:
In the gml_pragma initialization script
- made an global enum with all the input commands e.g. input.jump, input.attack etc
- made a global ds_grid 5 x input enum height
The columns are: input command, keyboard key, gamepad button, keyboard key sprite, gamepad button sprite
- after that I load the ini that has either the user controls or the default controls

In the draw gui event of the camera object
I draw the text and the sprite from the global ds_grid that has the sprites

Changing the inputs is a bit complicated to write here and since I'm on mobile I can't post code. If you would like I can make a video tutorial.

Smacktard

Changing the inputs is a bit complicated to write here and since I'm on mobile I can't post code. If you would like I can make a video tutorial.
I think it's pretty clear already from this post alone. But what I'm understanding is that you'd need to draw a sprite of every single keyboard key, for keyboards across multiple languages (such as Russian and Japanese), correct?

Smacktard

This is not a small thing to do. I did it a couple of weeks ago for a game. How I did it:
In the gml_pragma initialization script
- made an global enum with all the input commands e.g. input.jump, input.attack etc
- made a global ds_grid 5 x input enum height
The columns are: input command, keyboard key, gamepad button, keyboard key sprite, gamepad button sprite
- after that I load the ini that has either the user controls or the default controls

In the draw gui event of the camera object
I draw the text and the sprite from the global ds_grid that has the sprites

So, I think I've figured out how to do the bulk of this -- the only thing I *can't* quite figure out is how to draw the correct sprite in a way that's efficient. The only way I can think is to use a ds_map and assign an array with all of the sprites ahead of time.

Example (for two different keybindings):

GML:
for (i = 0; i < max_keyboard_keys; i++
{
    if (global.KeyBindingList[# 1,(global.KeyBind)]) == i
        {draw_sprite(x-16,y,keybind[i]}

if (global.KeyBindingList[# 1,(global.KeyBind+1)]) == i
        {draw_sprite(x+16,y,keybind[i]}
}
I'd just need to find out which integer each keyboard key represents. For example, Spacebar is like 32 or 36 or something like this.

Would this work?

Last edited:

poorlocke

So, I think I've figured out how to do the bulk of this -- the only thing I *can't* quite figure out is how to draw the correct sprite in a way that's efficient. The only way I can think is to use a ds_map and assign an array with all of the sprites ahead of time.

Example (for two different keybindings):

GML:
for (i = 0; i < max_keyboard_keys; i++
{
    if (global.KeyBindingList[# 1,(global.KeyBind)]) == i
        {draw_sprite(x-16,y,keybind[i]}

if (global.KeyBindingList[# 1,(global.KeyBind+1)]) == i
        {draw_sprite(x+16,y,keybind[i]}
}
I'd just need to find out which integer each keyboard key represents. For example, Spacebar is like 32 or 36 or something like this.

Would this work?
Yeah sorry, I was working on some shaders and didn't have the time to do the video. The way I do it is by referencing the grid cell that holds the sprite. Either way you can do it with any data structure you want