Free Key to Success

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I migrated the download links over from my DropBox to itch.io. I contemplated uploading all the downloads to GameJolt as well but it's just too many uploads to manage each and every time I want to publish an update, so itch.io should be good enough unless I eventually change my mind and want to expand my horizons. To clarify, the HTML5 version can be played in the browser on itch.io, GameJolt, and NewGrounds. The actual downloadables are only available on itch.io, at this time.

I really wanted to upload it to Kongregate, but once upon a time I tried uploading an older version of the game there, that wasn't much different from the current version, and it got HUNDREDS of 1 star ratings. I complained in the comments stating I get much better ratings elsewhere. On NewGrounds I got just slightly over 3 stars long enough to not get "blammed", which means the game is now a permanent part of NewGrounds, and that is A LOT better than 1 star if you ask me! (Even though that isn't exactly a good rating, it is much better getting hundreds of ratings averaging out to about 3 stars, rather than, about that many ratings of exactly 1 star).

Why do you guys think I've gotten so many reviews like that? Is the game really that bad? Or is Kongregate a community filled with bad apples or something? That is literally the only site I know of with that kind of harshness. Even way back when I had a super bad reputation on GameJolt it wasn't even that bad compared to how my games have been received on Kongregate. I don't know, I'm a bit confused on what makes the difference. These are all indie game publishing and community sites.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
In my experience, Kongregate has a pretty different community to NewGrounds. Not exactly a bad community, but they certainly have a very different core philosophy... I feel that NewGrounds is much more open to indies and experimental games or games that don't quite fit the current fashion or niche as it's a site full of creators... while Kongregate isn't like that and is ruled a lot more by what's currently "in" or big (not to mention the fact that they are very loyal to certain games over and above everything else) and is a site full of gamers.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

In my experience, Kongregate has a pretty different community to NewGrounds. Not exactly a bad community, but they certainly have a very different core philosophy... I feel that NewGrounds is much more open to indies and experimental games or games that don't quite fit the current fashion or niche as it's a site full of creators... while Kongregate isn't like that and is ruled a lot more by what's currently "in" or big (not to mention the fact that they are very loyal to certain games over and above everything else) and is a site full of gamers.
I actually didn't know that. That explains a lot. Yeah, I can see why they are so critical now. Average indie-quality doesn't quite cut it there.

I guess because I saw on the GameMaker Marketplace a Kongregate API asset I kind of assumed more indies are publishing there than there really are. Whoever uses that asset, they must be pretty good at what they do, that's for sure!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

New version is up!
  • Added new views
  • Fixed some bugs
  • New title screen
  • New pause menu
  • Visual upgrades

S

Sam (Deleted User)

It looks very boring.
Also, music is terrible. It's so bad it's better to remove it completely.
I find this to be the most important feedback i have here; while the truth may be hard to swallow at times, I've taken this into consideration when I added the new music and views. I'm getting ready to work on a new project, and I was wondering if the game looks just as boring as when I first released it about a year or two ago.

C

Cozen7734

When your in water the movements should be slower. You should not fall at the same speed as on land. You will fall slower. Same with jumping.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

When your in water the movements should be slower. You should not fall at the same speed as on land. You will fall slower. Same with jumping.
I guess that makes sense on a logical standpoint, but I always hated water levels in platformers because of the slow movement. I decided to keep it the way it is, because it adds to the difficulty level, and makes it more exciting. Although I might consider changing It, that depends, does anyone else think I should do that?

@RichHopelessComposer Thank You! It's actually something I very much need to work on, depending on the person the criticism comes from, and whether we have a negative history, things could be a bit more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RichHopelessComposer Thank You! It's actually something I very much need to work on, depending on the person the criticism comes from, and whether we have a negative history, things could be a bit more difficult.
Some people genuinely try to be assholes, though. When a person gets into a fight with you and then only ever posts on your stuff when they're downing it after that, it doesn't take a genius to see the pattern there. Just consider their advice as if they're giving it honestly, though. Stay positive, and use their malice to keep growing! It's the last thing they want from you! =)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yes or no to the sharpen filter? Usually it makes games look really bad, but I'm not so sure this time. I kinda like the glitchy look it gives in this case. What do you guys think?

<images removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Trying out other filters for the graphics. This time I used GIMP's cartoon filter. I think this one's a keeper! :D
screenshot0.png screenshot2.png screenshot3.png screenshot6.png screenshot8.png