• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Keep game running while Interstitial ad is being shown

emicarra

Hello, is there a way to keep the game running while showing an interstitial ad with the GooglePlayServices Admob extension?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'm afraid there isn't. The way android works is to put things into the background when other fullscreen process are running, and when a GM game is in the background, it is essentially paused. You may be able to write (or find) an extension that can get around this, but I certainly haven't seen one. Your best bet would be to have some kind of controller object that stores the time value when the interstitial starts, then gets it again when it ends, and use the time difference to modify the game to make it look like it was running the whole time. Would be a little complex to set up, but I really can't think of another option.

emicarra

I'm afraid there isn't. The way android works is to put things into the background when other fullscreen process are running, and when a GM game is in the background, it is essentially paused. You may be able to write (or find) an extension that can get around this, but I certainly haven't seen one. Your best bet would be to have some kind of controller object that stores the time value when the interstitial starts, then gets it again when it ends, and use the time difference to modify the game to make it look like it was running the whole time. Would be a little complex to set up, but I really can't think of another option.
Thanks for your reply, sadly it's for a multiplayer online game, players get timed out or freeze when the ad is being shown, i'll find a way around it, probably increasing time out time and only showing ads to the clients and not the hosts.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Realistically, online multiplayer games aren't generally good fits for ads since the action doesn't stop. The point of ads is to get them to click on them, and if they are busy they aren't going to click anyway. A better bet is to make it only show ads at select spots(if you aren't already doing that).