• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Just how good is D&G in GMS2?

G

Guest User

Hi all,

Just how good/powerful is drag and drop in GMS2? I've read its better than the current version but how much better? I am trying to learn GML and I don't mind admitting the going is very VERY slow and its like one step forward and six back right now as 20% of my time is spent writing code and 80% of my time is spent fixing bugs and looking up ways to do things.

if D&D is so much better in GMS2 then I might as well just buy it today and move to that.

Would like feedback from those who've used it.

(edit:- sorry typo in title.. I mean D&D.. oops)

Totally a million times better! There are so many more options that really allow you to expand a game whereas on Studio 1 you hit a bit of a road block when you wanted to make bigger games - you had to delve into code!

The DnD is a bit slow though, as in takes longer to do something than if you were typing the corresponding code. So you'll still want to transition at some point, but as a learning tool GMS 2 DnD is brilliant in my opinion.

Edit: I would note that you can still generate your own bugs in DnD, so there is still a learning curve - didn't want you to think it's foolproof! Still lots to learn this way, but easier than straight up learning code IMO.