• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Just curious.. why no Tab key event?

T

thekitchensink

As the title says, this is not a question, just a curiosity.

I know that I can use
Code:
keyboard_check_pressed (vk_tab)
to accomplish something on a tab key press. But I'm just wondering about the lack of an event for the tab key, since it seems that almost every other key (modifier keys, home, end, backspace, enter etc.) all have standalone events that can be set up in addition to their vk constants. But tab does not.

Is there some conflict with Alt+Tab or Apple+Tab? But, clearly we can use tab with the vk constant, so it's a mystery. I guess from an organizational standpoint it just strikes me as weird that this one usable key is missing from the selectable key press / key down / key up events.

Can anyone shed some light?

I

icuurd12b42

tab would not work in gm 8 and earlier because the window the runner created for the game was a dialog window and the tab key was eaten up by the lower level OS code (to handle tabbing from control to control)...
keyboard_check_pressed would not work either...
keyboard_check_pressed_direct, I think added later (now removed) then allowed the vk_tab to be detected

pffff. yeah, evolution, devolution... I think they could add the event in now I guess