Just a new member saying hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mizugori

Hi, I am new here. I just wanted to take a moment to say hello.

I have wanted to make video games since I was a child. My first system was a NES, which I was lucky enough to get when I was 4. I've been gaming ever since!

In high school I took programming classes and did a summer program at DigiPen on game programming. I also used to do a lot of those game programming books, where they would teach you to make a basic game over the course of a massive textbook (does anyone else remember those?!?)

By college, I had a basic framework up and running but it was way over my head. I explored a programming career briefly, and determined I am just not skilled enough at coding to become a top level programmer. I gave up on the dream of making games for a while.

Then came Unity. I thought it was the answer, but guess what - you still need to be a rocket scientist to make even a basic game in Unity. I have made several small prototypes in Unity, but as soon as I try to start really building out a game, I just get to a point where I can go no further, because what I want to accomplish requires insane level coding expertise that I can't seem to master.

Now I have discovered GMS 2 and I am loving it so far. It seems to offer a bridge where I can be a game designer and make the games I want to, without being an expert programmer. I have a full-time job and other commitments, so this is a side hobby for me currently. However, I am eagerly hoping to be able to finally bring some of my ideas to life (I have been writing them down for years!! Literally years!)

I will probably ask a lot of questions around here, so I thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer me!

woods

Welcome aboard..
we have skills of all levels... myself, rather on the lower end of things ;o)
but you will find aLOT of kind and helpful people here.

The one thing i can stress the most.. is dont be shy. really the only stupid question is the one you were afraid to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.