• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Jumping and Attack Default Control

A

ajan-ko

So, guys, I have 2 attack button (light attack and heavy attack), 1 jump, 1 dash
Which one do you prefer more:

A + S to attack, and D to jump, F to dash

OR

D + F to attack, and A to jump, D to dash

Note: I have binding functions, but I really want to mapping default control to make new player easier time to play the game.

Last edited:
I think if I had to choose I'd go with the first option.

I usually don't like my controls in a row like that, but I also avoid using the arrows if I can. It feels unnatural to me to use my right hand for movement so if I'm forced to use the arrow keys in a game I usually have to play with my hands crossed over.
My defaults are usually something like WASD for moving and combinations of BNM HJK, depending on what buttons I need.

Z

Zeddy

If it has to be on a keyboard, I'd prefer WASD for movement, then use I for jumping, O for dashing, and J/H for light and heavy attacks.

J

Jaqueta

A Gamepad. A/Cross for Jump, X/Square for Light, Y/Triangle for Heavy, and then RB for Dashing.

For PC/Keyboard, it's really a matter of personal preference. So I suggest making as an option:
WASD - Move
Space - Jump
LShift - Dash
LMB - Light Attack
RMB - Heavy Attack

Avyrra

It looks like you're going to get vastly different preferences. If you're making a platformer, you're probably safest using the arrow keys for movement, but any other perspective, players would most likely want WASD.
Personally, for platformers, I like to use Arrows for movement with the Up Arrow being the Jump button, unlike where on a controller I'd have the Jump button be separate. Also, I prefer using ZXCV rather than ASDF for abilities although I won't mind it to much if you want to use ASDF as a standard as they're very similar. Anyway, think of what button you're using the most. On ZXCV for example, in the order of which button is mostly used, I bind it to C, then X,Z,V, this is because all buttons are available with one shift of the hand. This usually ends up with CV being movement and ZX being combat as those would be the most commonly used combinations of buttons

A

ajan-ko

Pretty interesting, I guess people have different preferences when playing with keyboard.
I guess I'm just using ASDF as default, if they don't like it they can change it via key binding.